New from Southeast Az

• Last Post 09 April 2016
Quietsurvivalist posted this 09 April 2016

Hi I am new here, with a new rifle Id like to learn to cast bullets for reloading. Im an owner of a Win mod 70 Safari in 375 H&H, Id like to learn about alloys, molds and powders for accuracy, and do it without leading up my new barrel. Molds, and all the juju involved are new majic for me Ive never loaded cast bullets , or cast a bullet besides a round ball so feel free to laugh when I ask questions   Oh yeah, and I have my own blog I intend to post my results on as well as here if that doesn't break any rules   And learn about other techniques as well

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Brodie posted this 09 April 2016

Welcome aboard;  You sound like you are just crazy enough to fit in here quietsurvivalist. Seriously, there is a tremendous amount of knowledge here in among the membership, and they like to share.  Just don't feel too overwhelmed when they mob you. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Westhoff posted this 09 April 2016

Been quite a while since I did much playing with my Remington .375 H&H, but there's still a target hanging on the wall in my loading room. 5 holes in a 1.5 inch group. Handwritten note on the target says “100 yds. 375 H&H. 63 gr. H4350, Lyman 375449, lino, 6/8/88".

Linotype is probably NOT the alloy you would want to use for hunting (too hard), but it's a pretty good place to start.

That group was shot with a 4X scope, I never used it with cast bullets for hunting, but with a good jacketed partition bullet, it sure made moose fall down!

Welcome aboard! I think you'll like it here, and you'd probably enjoy membership in the Cast Bullet Assn., too.

Wes

Attached Files

Westhoff posted this 09 April 2016

Been quite a while since I did much playing with my Remington .375 H&H, but there's still a target hanging on the wall in my loading room. 5 holes in a 1.5 inch group. Handwritten note on the target says “100 yds. 375 H&H. 63 gr. H4350, Lyman 375449, lino, 6/8/88".

Linotype is probably NOT the alloy you would want to use for hunting (too hard), but it's a pretty good place to start.

That group was shot with a 4X scope, I never used it with cast bullets for hunting, but with a good jacketed partition bullet, it sure made moose fall down!

Welcome aboard! I think you'll like it here, and you'd probably enjoy membership in the Cast Bullet Assn., too.

Wes

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 09 April 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=9812>Quietsurvivalist

Hi, and welcome!

My older brother has my pre-64 Win Mod 70 in 375 H&H. Of course he borrowed it after I worked up a great Black Bear load and made lots of ammo for it and then he told me that fine rifles are never really owned. I actually have a rifle I like a little better for Bear, so I don't mind. I hunt Bear with my Colt Sauer Grand African .458 Win Mag and cast bullets.

The 375 H&H is a fine caliber for cast and easy to work with to get a good load. I could tell you the load and subtract the fun for you if you wish. The load is currently in the Lyman 4th Edition Cast bullet handbook page 195.

Lyman 375449, 264 gr. bullet cast in Lyman #2 Alloy sized/checked .379", tumble lubed once before and once after size/check.

START 24 gr IMR4198 1387 fps, MAXIMUM 35 gr 1813 fps. I shoot this right at the book MAX and it easily groups five shots in 1” @50 yards. It is not a high pressure load and works great with Lyman #2 Alloy. The bore of the rifle is hand polished to 500 grit for cast bullets with my method posted on this forum:

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=8364&forum_id=63>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=8364&forumid=63n 

The #2 alloy is ideal for hunting and expands to double diameter on impact with zero weight loss and passes through Bear from any shot angle with this load out to 200 yards. I'd be happy to give you more or all the specifics on the load if you wish. All my casting/loading gear is Lee. I've also used the plain based Lee 379-250-RF as cast and tumble lubed bullet in #2 alloy with great results using H4895.

The Lee bullet as cast in #2 Alloy and tumble lubed is a good shooter with zero special tricks and any reasonable charge of H4895.....a very easy start in 375 H&H.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/476137/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-379-250-rf-375-winchester-38-55-wcf-379-diameter-250-grain-flat-nose>https://www.midwayusa.com/product/476137/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-379-250-rf-375-winchester-38-55-wcf-379-diameter-250-grain-flat-nose Gary

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 09 April 2016

My friends and I do quite a bit of recreational shooting with cast bullets in various .375 H&H rifles. Mostly we use #375449 cast from wheelweights, without GC, sized .379” and lubricated with Lee Liquid Alox or LSStuff 45-45-10.

A light recoilling, accurate and economical load which seems to shoot well in all of the guns is 12 grains of Bullseye, and a Winchester large rifle primer.  No filler is necessary. If you don't have Bullseye you can get the same result with 13 grains of Red Dot or WST, or 15 grains of Unique, WSF or Universal or 16 grains of Herco. Seat the bullet out so that the forepart is lightly engraved upon bolt closure, but does not result in debulleting when you extract a loaded round.  If your rifle has a short throat, no more than the GC heel should be allowed to protrude below the neck.

Velocity is about 1250 fps. In most rifles when you are zeroed for the 235-grain Speer spitzer with a full charge load giving about 2800 fps, at 250 yards, the cast load is very close to point of aim at 50 yards without sight adjustment being necessary.

Performance on game is like the .38-55 blackpowder load and it is effective on deer at woods ranges. My friend Greg, when he was a PH in Africa years ago killed literally TONS of impala and similar sized game for biltong with this load over the years.

If you want a heavier load for longer ranges, gascheck the #375449 and load 60-65 grains of 4895, 4064, RL15 or Varget with 1 grain of Dacron polyester fiberfill tucked loosely under the bullet to take up some of the excess free powder space and switch to a Winchester magnum large rifle primer or Federal 215. Velocity is 2000-2100 fps. For the heavy loads we fill the lubricating grooves with regular NRA formula 50-50 Alox-Beeswax, then after sizing and crimping the GC give the entire bullet an overcoat of 45-45-10 or LLA.  Wheelweight alloy bullets which fit and are well lubricated will give good hunting accuracy for a dozen to 15 rounds without leading being an issue and give good double-caliber expansion with 80% weight retention.  Penetration is similar to 270-grain softpoints.  In most rifles with the 250 yard point blank zero with 235 grain Speers, the full charge 265-grain flatpoint cast shoots close to point of aim at 80-100 yards.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Close