Hard Type Metal

• 2.3K Views
  • Last Post 19 April 2016
John Alexander posted this 17 April 2016

I have 150 pounds of some very hard type metal. I'm not sure if it's Stereotype, Monotype, or Foundry Type. It is in blocks with letters on one side.  Blocks are consistently .92” high to top of letters and about .83” from front to back.  Widths vary up to .85”.  BHN by the LBT tester is consistency over 30.

Anybody know what it might be and what would be a fair price to ask?   John

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 17 April 2016

The large letters used for titles and headers are usually Foundry type. The bucketful I used to have worked well when blended 1 pound of foundry type to ten pounds of backstop lead or wheelweights and lasted a long time at that rate. I would charge at least $2 a pound for it, but a scrap yard probably won't pay you that much.

As bullet caster's enrichment alloy it is great stuff!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 17 April 2016

John: Ed's assessment sounds right to me. I've bought such alloy for $2 a lb. and felt lucky to get it. PM me if you decide it's worth the trouble to ship. Gp

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 17 April 2016

I have used the same stuff, as foundry type. Yep, it was used to make up ads and headers and was reusable. I am using my last batch for the Military matches this year: 1/2 type and 1/2 new WW's. Does not cast as well as linotype, but close. There is a home for some hear if you don't want to move it to OR.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 17 April 2016

Tom Gray stated he used strait foundry type alloy when he was competing. This alloy is very hard and makes beautiful well filled out bullets. Taper bumping is more difficult also.

You can also add Roto metals Super hard to linotype for the same effect.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 17 April 2016

$2.00 per pound is a good price compaired to Roto Metals.

http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/foundry.htm

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 17 April 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=6375>John Alexander

I wouldn't sell it!  I use a similar description scrap  and alloy it with soft range scrap. 7:3 , range scrap : hard Lino scrap,  and it makes a BHN15 alloy very similar to Pistol Hardball for recreational shooting with a POI the same as Lyman #2.

Gary

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 18 April 2016

Good advice but that's the principle I have been following that has gotten me supplied with enough alloy to last me till I am 123.  A pack rat has to pay for his weaknesses before moving across country so I need to sell some.

Thanks to all who offered information.  i will see if there are any pack rat CBA members in Maine.

John

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 18 April 2016

John, If you determine how much will fit and ship in a small flat rate box at $2 a pound plus postage I think you could move lots of it if you wanted to do small batches.

Or do a reinforced medium flat rate box at $100 for the “big spenders.”  Roto Metals ships 60 pounds or 12 of their ingots wrapped and stacked using newspapers inside a Medium FRM then overpacks that in a cardboard reinforced Large FRB and it makes it cross country well.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 18 April 2016

Thanks for the suggestions Ed.  Right now I am up to my ass in alligators trying to get rid of 45 years of pack ratting in the same place with lots of storage.  If I can't get enough Maine CBA members to come and haul it away I will do as you suggest.  Those flat rate boxes are great. John

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 19 April 2016

Almost worth a trip to Maine...

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 19 April 2016

trip to maine...

yes but could you bring lead back into the states without an import license ??

ken

Attached Files

Close