Powder coated bullets in CBA matches?????

• Last Post 28 April 2016
Doughty posted this 24 April 2016

I looked, but could not find an answer. 

Are powder coated bullets allowed in CBA matches ?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 24 April 2016

I would think so, as it is another form of “lube". Good Luck! And you might wish to ask President John Alexander that question, also.

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 24 April 2016

On 12/6/2014 3:18 PM, Martin Stenback wrote: > Wally: > Are cast bullets that are powder coated legal for the Military Cast Bullet Matches. > > I have at least two or three new people that want to use coated bullets. > > Rule 4.1 says that is has to be cast of molten metal in a mould. A gas check may be attached. > It makes no mention of lube or other means to prevent leading. > > Thanks > > Martin Stenback > Van Dyne Sportsmens Club Hi Martin

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I wasn't familiar with powder coated cast bullets, so I wanted to get some advise from some of the other shooters on this first.

Every one I contacted did not see a problem with that and as you pointed out, there is nothing in the Rules that prohibit the use.

So, yes they are legal to use in Military Cast Bullet Matches.

Thanks Wally Enga

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 24 April 2016

Director of Military Competitions: Wally Enga

I forgot to mention Wally's position in the CBA

Attached Files

Doughty posted this 25 April 2016

Ric, I just sent John a PM asking him to weigh in here.  Will see what he has to say. Thanks.

Attached Files

Doughty posted this 25 April 2016

fa38, Thanks for your reply.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 25 April 2016

One of the stated purposes of the CBA is to explore new ways to improve cast bullet shooting. If powder coating helps for either accuracy or velocity, or both, it should be allowed.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 25 April 2016

in my 40 years of competition ... new radical ideas were welcomed ... at least until the new ideas started winning, then decisions were made.

that is nature's way.

( g ) .

ken

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 25 April 2016

No one shooting the CBA Military matches at the Van Dyne club have used coated bullets. The three people who inquired about their use have not shown up to shoot as of the last match.
Perhaps the accuracy they were hoping for with which to show those grease groove guys that they were doing it all wrong never materialized. Personally I have enough junk in my basement dedicated to shooting cast bullets that I don't feel the necessity to invest in more junk. Perhaps I am missing the next best thing and if so I guess I will just have to miss it. This is not meant to discourage anyone going the powder coat route and perhaps coming up with a real winning method for making cast bullets shoot into real small groups.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 26 April 2016

Sorry to be so late getting to this.  I have other advice.  Never move from one state to another after 70.  Die where you have your loading bench.

As far as coated bullets are concerned there are no CBA rules against coating.  They are legal in all CBA matches. If there is a way to make cast bullets shoot better we should try it. When someone starts plating them with gilding metal we may have to take a look at our rules.

John

Attached Files

Doughty posted this 26 April 2016

John, I couldn't agree with you more about the moving.  I hope I never experience that again. And thank you for clarifing the powder coat issue.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 26 April 2016

I last did the cross state move when I was 54.  That was enough to last me the rest of my life.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 28 April 2016

John Alexander wrote: Sorry to be so late getting to this.  I have other advice.  Never move from one state to another after 70.  Die where you have your loading bench.

As far as coated bullets are concerned there are no CBA rules against coating.  They are legal in all CBA matches. If there is a way to make cast bullets shoot better we should try it. When someone starts plating them with gilding metal we may have to take a look at our rules.

John What about paper patch, is that legal in CBA competition?   

Only asking because I'm curious.   You'd think if there were an accuracy or velocity advantage to PP competitors would be using it, if it were legal?

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 28 April 2016

Doughty wrote: Are powder coated bullets allowed in CBA matches ?

Hi-Tek (Zombie-Green) is much simpler to use and takes up less reloading space. http://hi-performancebulletcoatings.com/hi-tek-supercoat-powder-7-oz-container/

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 28 April 2016

Paper-patch bullets are CBA legal, are very labor-intensive and do not shoot any better than lube groove bullets. I've tried them three decades ago with black powder mainly and the paper-patch had consistent 2 moa potential. I would rather spend the time casting and shooting.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Close