32-40 from 38-55

• 1K Views
  • Last Post 03 May 2016
45ACPete posted this 02 May 2016

Since new 32-40 brass seems unavailable--I haven't found any lately--like in five years--I thought that forming it from 38-55 Starline brass (readily available) ought to be a logical and fairly easy task.  Lubricating with Imperial Sizing Wax I've tried to size it down as gently as possible--easing a case into the die a short way, backing off, turning the case in the shell holder, repeating, etc.  I keep getting vertical wrinkles in the necks, sometimes numerous shallow wrinkles that look like they will blow out on firing,  but sometimes one or two deep wrinkles that may not.  Haven't loaded and fired any yet--I just sized about a dozen of the fifty I bought, and at least a couple were so bad I junked them.  So, before trying to size down any more I thought I ask if anyone has successfully done this.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
beltfed posted this 02 May 2016

Anneal the starline brass from the neck to about half way down style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"before trying to reform them. Should work. style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 02 May 2016

Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper and easier to form from 30-30 to 32-40? 38-55 brass may be available right now, but in the past (a year ago) it was UNOBTANIUM! Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

norm posted this 02 May 2016

pete, I nave formed 32-40 from 38-55. I used Imperial sizing wax like you and have had wrinkles on maybe 1 of 30 or so. It takes very little of the Imperial wax. Wrinkle disappeared after one firing.

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 02 May 2016

Whenever I do drastic re-forming of brass, I use Imperial wax too. My technique is to apply a minimal amount of wax, go partially into the die, back out, wipe off the wax, re-wax, go back into the die a little farther. Repeat until done. It's the buildup of lube that is the culprit most of the time. Even if you think you have just barely enough lube on the case, it's probably too much. I also generally fore go annealing until done as often I get collapsed shoulders due to softness.

Attached Files

45ACPete posted this 03 May 2016

Thanks, Norm and gnoahhh--I was using too much lube. Following your tips I wasa able to size several cases before a wrinkle would show up. Finally it got through that I had to swab out the die with a dry patch about every third case even though I was using just barely enough lube to feel slightly greasy.

Attached Files

Close