building a single shot bolt action "bunny gun"

• 2.2K Views
  • Last Post 16 August 2016
EvanGuy posted this 06 May 2016

ive been wanting to build another rifle for a while now, its been two years since the last one i made, a 357 bolt action.

this time its front locking, not rear like my last one.

im using a no1mk3(1944 India) 303 barrel, the 303 barrel threads were faced off and the OD was turned to 26mm then threaded 18mm long into an under cut m24X1.5, no sights as there will be a scope on the receiver.

i made the receiver and bolt from 4140 and its hardened to 36 rc.

im going to bore a straight wall chamber in the Enfield barrel to the beginning of the rifling. Then made an insert that im going going to chamber for 7.62x25 then sweat it into the barrel (boiling water and dry ice)

i plan on using w231 or titegroup to load the starline brass. i plan on shooting at 1000fps, and ill be using 100gr cast bullets and setting up the rifle for 100m

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

i got the barrel fitted to the receiver ive made, its a class 3 fit, or interference fit, it takes 24 ftlb to turn the receiver on the barrel for the last 6mm of of it (about the last 4 turns) the barrel ISN'T fully threaded into the receiver, its about 1/8 turn from the shoulder

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 06 May 2016

yay !! so cool !!!

if i could ask:: why you didn't bore the chamber...

i have some barrels in which i plan to lathe bore various chambers ...am i missing something ??

love to see these projects ...

ken

Attached Files

the case is alot smaller then a 303 british case. so i have to bore it a little larger to fit a sleve that has the 7.62x25 chamber in it.

if i had made the threads in my receiver the same as the enfield barrel 1"x14tpi i could have used a 7.62x25 chamber adaptor and silver soldered it inplace

but i made the receiver before i had the barrel so i had to shorten the 303 chamber to be able to thread it so i cant use an adaptor any more.

i do plan on lathe boring the 7.62x25 chamber into the insert im making to go in the stright wall chamber in the barrel im going to bore.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 07 May 2016

Nice project!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 07 May 2016

You are a talented man!

Attached Files

Reg posted this 07 May 2016

Neat project, waiting to see more.

Attached Files

EvanGuy posted this 07 May 2016

Thanks guys. im also restoring a 1898 enfield carbine (LEC 1) so ill be going back and forth on these projects. i have a barrel, nose cap for the carbine coming in the mail. so once they come i have to copy the nose cap and taper turn the long lee barrel to the cavalry carbine taper. so it may be a week or two before im back to this.

Attached Files

malar posted this 16 August 2016

What are you doing for an extractor?

Attached Files

Close