Making Aluminum rotors - Little Dandy

• 1.5K Views
  • Last Post 07 July 2016
rmrix posted this 18 May 2016

On a whim decades ago, I bought a RCBS Little Dandy powder measure thinking it would get a lot of use loading those rounds I often shoot.  To go with it, I referenced the chart printed in the Lock Stock and Barrel catalog and got a few rotors I thought would be useful.

Though a good idea, it mostly sat. It was just too quick and easy to adjust the standard powder measure mounted on the bench to exactly what ever I needed. When an opportunity to load something different came up and I thought how fast and easy the Little Dandy would be to load a block of cases, lack of correct rotors ended that quickly.

Local gun stores don't carry rotors so buying one or two at a time delivered to my door costs $15 - 20 each.

OK - making them? .... Can't be too hard! The RCBS made rotors are some kind of steel and blued. Like everything they put out, they are well made.

That brings me to my ponder; Aluminum, Steel, Brass and some kind of hard plastic ABS or PVC might be material options..  Brass would be classy and steel durable. Aluminum is not too expensive and easy to work. That is my first choice and steel is next. Brass, though nice ups the cost a lot!

Any pros and cons you can think of? Off the bat, I thought of wear, static, cost and availability.... Ebony and ivory are out:cool: What do you think?

-Michael Rix

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
gnoahhh posted this 18 May 2016

I made a brass measure based on the principles of the old Pacific rotor-style measure, and made up my rotors out of brass too. So far they have held up well. The key is maintaining sharp corners on the rotor cavities. The little bit of material needed to make a couple rotors is cheap. Short pieces of round stock are all over ebay.

I kind of like keeping the parts of a project like that all the same material for wear purposes. Diverse materials will wear quicker, with the wear occurring on the harder surface usually.  I keep it lubed with powdered graphite.

http://s481.photobucket.com/user/gnoahhh/media/get-attachmentaspx.jpg.html>

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 18 May 2016

That is a measure to be proud of. I have to tell you; I am not sure I have much trust in someone who's work shop is that spacious and uncluttered! :thinking:

In a PM I received it was pointed out that aluminum might not give long service. (thanks for the PM) Regardless of metal, I think a coat of Johnson's paste wax is a good idea. I'll have to look at the ebay brass scrap for options. Aluminum stock is just less than $1 per one and 12L14 just under $2 per. I completed two rotors - I guess prototypes might be a good word for them. Made them from hex stock I had on hand.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 18 May 2016

for you diy guys i have about 2 tons of aircraft grade alum. round bar in the back ... mostly 1 inch round y under but some 2 inch . pm me if .

if you made rotors from delrin it would never wear out ... might collect static tho ??

i doubt good aluminum would wear out either, if graphite is used .

the little dandy is good when the cases are in a loading block ... always double check with a dipstick tho .

ken

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 26 May 2016

Ken - here is the setup for the rotor slots. I chose the mill cutter to fit the 8-32 set screw that RCBS uses as rotation stops and the close fit keeps the rotor side to side slop out. 

Attached Files

Hamish posted this 26 May 2016

I believe it's worth noting that ABS will collect a static charge under friction.

Very smartly done gnoahhh!

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 31 May 2016

A thank you is in order! I received through the generosity of Mr. Ken Campbell enough aluminum stock to make up all the rotors needed to complete the set!  And he included some other goodies as well, stuff that can be put to good use making useful things we just gota have! Ken - THANK YOU!   

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 31 May 2016

nice work mr. rix ....even stamped with id number !!

let us know how the rotors work out.

glad to help .

ken

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 06 July 2016

Just a rotor up date should anyone care.... I was able to make up a wheelbarrow load of rotors and have covered most of my common smokeless powder needs for known (to me)loads and I have a few blanks waiting that I can cut the cavity to for what ever might arise.

I found a two 6” scraps of brass that will turn up nice and make rotors and just thought how great they would be dropping Black Powder into my Ruger Old Army or one just for the Uberti 44 Special I like to shoot Black Powder cartridges in. Maybe no real issues using Aluminum either but Brass would look nice.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 07 July 2016

I always like brass rotors and lightly rubbed with graphite, will last for many years.

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 07 July 2016

I love DIY projects like that. Keeps me out of the bars and cat houses.

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 07 July 2016

Hmmm - well, that never worked for me! Reaching geezerhood has been the turning point for me. Spinning the lathe just keeps me from thinking about how much fun I'm missing.:cool: gnoahhh wrote: I love DIY projects like that. Keeps me out of the bars and cat houses.

Attached Files

Close