Some chopped lever guns

• 1.6K Views
  • Last Post 03 April 2017
Myflatline posted this 25 May 2016

Here are some of the Marlin levers I have chopped and coated. This is a Marlin 35 Rem.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

<user=9940>Myflatline wrote: Here are some of the Marlin levers I have chopped and coated. My apologies, while I figure out multiple pictures.  

Attached Files

444 Marlin

Attached Files

<user=9940>Myflatline wrote: 444 Marlin

Attached Files

Marlin 1894 44 mag. 

Attached Files

<user=9940>Myflatline wrote: Marlin 1894 44 mag. 

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 26 May 2016

They are sure shooting for you. Personally, I am horrible with carbines and shoot best with long heavyweights.

I envy your shooting !!!!

Gary

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 26 May 2016

Thanks, I like taking a standard carbine, 20” and making it a 16". Out of 4 , all shot better after the mods.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 26 May 2016

Nice. Thanks for the pics. I can look at Marlins all day.

Attached Files

I love my Marlins Here's a few more to look over

Attached Files

Myflatline wrote: I love my Marlins Here's a few more to look over

Attached Files

Myflatline wrote: Myflatline wrote: I love my Marlins Here's a few more to look over

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 27 May 2016

Nice stuff, what is the bottom one in the last picture?

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 27 May 2016

It's a Marlin 1894 44 mag. as is the one just before.  Top one is a 444 and the the 357.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 28 May 2016

Wow.

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 29 May 2016

thanks

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 31 August 2016

Finished up another short gun, a Glenfield 30-30

Attached Files

Here it is ready for testing

Attached Files

Like the Hornady FTX ammo

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 31 August 2016

i miss western field... jc higgins....ted williams ... you could walk into western auto and but the neatest rebranded guns for $43 ...

of course i feel much safer now ...

ken

i still have a ted williams ithica 49 and win. 190 .

Attached Files

I miss Western Auto

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 01 September 2016

Nice collection. The FTX load reminded me of a scope ad I just saw. 3x9x40 with a ballistic reticle calibrated for the factory 30-30 FTX ammo. Has a 300 yd. line.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 02 September 2016

You rifles are really interesting.  Have you considered doing an article for TFS about how you do the modifications?

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 20 November 2016

JHS wrote: You rifles are really interesting.  Have you considered doing an article for TFS about how you do the modifications?No, Not sure how many folks here would want to chop their own barrels.I did a small tutorial on Marlin Owners about it tho.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 20 November 2016

I cut the barrel a circa 1966 444 Marlin its at 19” from 24” .  I refer to it as my Retro 444P . But I never would have cut it if it hadn't needed a reblue .

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 20 November 2016

It's a hobby for me, I look for abused guns that I can play with. I like to do a Dura Coat finish rather than standard Blueing, it is far more durable. Being a lever gun nut...well, that's where the Marlin come's in. I think my crowning tool is set up to go from .30 to .435

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 20 November 2016

...mil dots for 30-30 ??

? dots at 50, 75, 100 yards ??

ken

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 22 November 2016

At the risk of unleashing a firestorm, have you worked on any of the recent manufacture Remlins? I would feel less remorse if I botched the first attempt on a gun where there was little to lose.

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 22 November 2016

JHS wrote: At the risk of unleashing a firestorm, have you worked on any of the recent manufacture Remlins? I would feel less remorse if I botched the first attempt on a gun where there was little to lose.Unfortunately yes, but not because I wanted to.  I had an unfortunate “Kaboom” last year in my 357 Rem/Marlin.  Someone handed me a round to test as I was working up loads.  It was his pistol load, he actually took them from the cylinder.  I lost the barrel, ejector and extractor.  No one was hurt, thankfully.  So I had to re-barrel it, and it's a shorty now. Sorry for the long story .> As far as botching...if you take your time and think your way through, it's not bad.  I bought a dovetail jig and use that when cutting the barrel.  It's hardened steel.  I always cut long, just incase. The crowning tool I got, I thought had multiple pilots for the various calibers...I was wrong. Fortunately , a friend, from Marlin Owners stepped up and made them for me.  I'll try and post a few pictures.

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 23 November 2016

And 

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 23 November 2016

Been working on the wood of a '69 336 30/30 I recently picked up. The wood is almost done but I'm thinking of cutting the barrel back a little. Wouldn't be a big deal but I would like to put the front sight back on. Never tried anything that delicate before. I'm in no rush so I have plenty of time to think this one thru. I already have the crowning tool. The metal isn't too bad so I don't have that for an excuse. I did cut the stock down a little so a shorter barrel would be nice for the grandkids.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 24 November 2016

I take it, it's a dove tail sight. I bought the jig online from a company in Louisiana I believe, 50 bucks or so, I've used it quite a bit. The first shorty I did, had the screw on front sight, I have 4 holes under mine.> First set was canted just a tad. I haven't been doing the front sights on the others. I can't see em. I have to scope all my rifles. Miss being able to see.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 24 November 2016

Did you do any action work (other than the obvious :P) to smooth out your Remlin when you got it? I would like to order a new Remlin 35 Remington but all of the internet complaints have me a little spooked.

Attached Files

Myflatline posted this 25 November 2016

They are considerably stiffer than the older ones.  Honestly, I would try and find a good used one.  The only two new ones I have are the 357 and 308 MX.  No used ones to be had.That's just my personal opinion, things are getting better with the newer ones.You should be able to find a good used 35 , between 375 and 450, safe queens are more of course. Hope that helps

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 03 April 2017

MARLIN actually made some 16” 336's back in the early 1980's. I had one, a 336Texan with a straight grip stock. Very smooth action, but the balance was terrible. Shot straight too. good  1” groups at 50yds, then opened up to 4” at 100yds Used the LYMAN #31141 over 24grs of IMR-3031 in a Partial-Sized case. Tried a scope on it but it didn't really help.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Close