Eagan MX2 Pointy Nose

• Last Post 04 July 2016
Paul Pollard posted this 12 June 2016

There have been discussions lately about bullet length and stability and nose shape. I recently lathe-cut some noses on the Eagan MX2-243 flat point bullet. This normally have a meplat of .140". My first attempt was to cut the truncated cone section to a rounded sharp point. The bullet length remained the same. The weights were about 76 - 78 grains. The cutting was not too precise.

These were shot last week to check feasibility. The six, 5-shot groups of pointy bullets averaged 0.759". Nine groups of the normal flat-point bullet measured 0.781".

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Paul Pollard posted this 12 June 2016

One great idea deserves another. While digging around the loading bench, I came up with a Berger 6mm match bullet. It weighs 68 grains. I made a cutter and turned several of these in the lathe. It looked like such a great idea. It wasn't. These bullets were NOT stable, showing signs of tipping on the target. The first 3 shots didn't hit the paper. Finally, a few hit the paper. 

Attached Files

Premod70 posted this 12 June 2016

Paul Pollard wrote: One great idea deserves another. While digging around the loading bench, I came up with a Berger 6mm match bullet. It weighs 68 grains. I made a cutter and turned several of these in the lathe. It looked like such a great idea. It wasn't. These bullets were NOT stable, showing signs of tipping on the target. The first 3 shots didn't hit the paper. Finally, a few hit the paper. How about cutting the point of the pointed bullets flat a little at a time to see if and when the stability of the bullet will return and the accuracy results. 

Forrest Gump is my smarter brother.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 12 June 2016

Joe you could probably do a more accurate job in a drill press. A three jaw chuck could be clamped down hard enough to grab base and bore ride section together to prevent wobble. Tilt the base plate of press to your liking then sand. I glued 150 paper to MDF board using 3m High Tak contact spray adhesive.

Soft alloy such as 20-1 will obturate and seal bullet. Do not be afraid to try quicker Titegroup powder.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 12 June 2016

This is how I would grind tip. Do not shorten bore ride section.

Attached Files

mtngun posted this 04 July 2016

Paul Pollard wrote: One great idea deserves another. While digging around the loading bench, I came up with a Berger 6mm match bullet. It weighs 68 grains. I made a cutter and turned several of these in the lathe. It looked like such a great idea. It wasn't. These bullets were NOT stable, showing signs of tipping on the target. The first 3 shots didn't hit the paper. Finally, a few hit the paper.  Thanks for sharing your experiment, Paul.

Yep, there's a reason our cast bullets are not shaped like jacketed bullets.    

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 04 July 2016

i have always thought that long unsupported noses slump to one side when fired ... apparently mj have enough shell strength to keep the nose from slumping ...and tend to chamber straighter ...

so it would be a fun experiment to start with a long wadcutter and start lathe-turning a ? 60 degree ? nose longer and longer .

i think it is a compromise between center of pressure and nose slumping .

the wadcutter nose doesn't slump but center of pressure is maximum from center of gravity ... mass center .... gets goofy in under half a second ...

how long does a 60 degree spire point have to be to remain stable for a half-second ? one second ??

just some unstable thoughts

ken

Attached Files

Close