Twist rate for 32-20

• 3.9K Views
  • Last Post 28 June 2016
DBW posted this 27 June 2016

What is the ideal twist rate for a 32-20 rifle barrel. Would like to shoot CB's 70 to 115 gr. Anyone have any experience with different twists?.......DBW

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 27 June 2016

for practical shooting, it is better to go a little faster twist than what might be optimal for obsessive competition use ....

for your short bullets, for ultimate accuracy you could probably use 18 to 24 twist .... to try for most gentle stress on the fired bullet . then you need a different barrel for different days .

however, 16 twist would give you more reliability in stabilization ; cast bullets can be ” interesting ” enough without worrying if your bullets are wobbling .

i love the little 32-20, i shot a m92 a lot when i wuz a kid ... lyman 31108 gc hollow point unsized . hah don't remember the twist ...

ken

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 27 June 2016

The standard twist for the .32-20 was one turn in 20". If your interest leans towards traditional bullets, loaded to black powder velocities, that works well.  But if you want to experiment with heavier bullets of more than 115-grains, especially at quiet, subsonic velocities for low noise, the rate of twist used for .32-20 REVOLVERS being one turn in 16", is a better choice. I don't own a .32-20 anymore, because I found that in either rifles or modern, strong revolvers, that I could do everything the .32-20 would do, with the .32 S&W Long, using smokeless powder. S&W Long brass is less expensive, more plentiful and sturdier.

I have fooled with .32 S&W Long in rifles of various twist rates, with both heavy and light bullets, both having traditional “.32 cal.” dimensions and tighter “.30 cal.” dimensions.

I came to the conclusion that as long as you have a “good” barrel with properly cut, concentric chamber and use appropriate loads with bullets which “fit", the twist and barrel dimensions don't matter within reason.  A faster twist such as 10” to 14” is more flexible with heavier bullets at low velocity and a slower twist of 16” or longer is better for lighter bullets at higher velocity and with black powder.

My current interest in the .32 S&W Long in a rifle is to approximate the payload and velocity of .38 Special standard velocity (not +P) loads from the .32 S&W Long case. This closely approximates the ballistics of my .30-'06 “Gallery” loads, but with a case full of powder in the tiny case.  I am using a 10” twist barrel fabricated from an M1 Garand pull-off, cut off at the gas port and chamber neck, turned down and fitted by John Taylor onto a tiny H&R .44/.410 shotgun receiver.  The “Bunny Gun” with 18” barrel weighs 4 pounds and shoots 2” groups at 50 yards with iron sights with most loads.

A charge of 5.6 grains of Alliant #2400 powder with the Accurate 31-155D flatnosed bullet, seated and crimped into the crimp groove is compressed. Velocity from an 18” rifle is 1030 f.p.s., sort of like Eley Tenex On Steroids. The same loads from a late 1960s era COlt Police Positive Special in .32 Colt New Police shoots to the sights at 100 yards, is accurate enough to hit a 12” steel gong, and gives 720 f.p.s. The same load from my 2” Detective Special of similar era, shoots to the sights at 50 yards, hitting the 12” steel gong with a 6:00 hold, and gives 645 fps.

If building a new, custom rifle for small game and recreational shooting with cast bullets, either the .32 S&W Long or the .32 H&R Magnum are good choices.  If you have a pull-off .30 cal. rifle barrel with bright, clean bore in any rate of twist, you can make it work.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

4060may posted this 27 June 2016

I have built 4 30-20's on H&R actions I have access to a few shot out barrels in 30 cal 1-15 twist used 30BR barrels , they are just broken in for cast they shoot well with 110-160gr bullets I have a Model 53 Browning in 32-20 1-18 twist..LEE soupcan 115gr,GC, sized .313, with a full case of Reloader 7...does Silhouettes with authority A low wall I relined with a 1-18 liner shoots very well, this is a full 32-20 with .313 bullets

the original rifle I built was on an older H&R with a good trigger, Topper 148, lever to open the barrel fitted with a 1903 Springfield parade rifle barrel, after cutting the chamber off...my BIL shoots Sil with it and does well....gun is named Ugg for ugly....I never finished the fine points

Attached Files

DBW posted this 27 June 2016

This helps. The reasons I ask the question are (A) I have a marlin 94 in 357 mag that needs a new bbl due to copper fouling removal with industrial ammonia (I was told by the friend that suggested it that it would not hurt steel) which ate channels along side the lands as wide as the lands plus a lot of deep pits. (B) I really liked the 357 but have always wanted a 32-20 but the changes required to the rifle seemed too big a deal so I took a 357 case and ran it into a 30 mauser die to come up with a case that measures:    base to shoulder .950    base to neck     1.020    neck length        .257    case oal            1.387     shoulder angle   16 degrees 24 min. The case capacity is very close to 32-20 capacity. Brass is easily formed, much stronger and more available (cheaper). I made some dummy rounds and they feed just fine so am beginning to think perhaps it is a reasonable project. I slicked up the action and this rifle is such a handy plinker and small game rifle I just loved it in 357 except 35 cal when pumped up to shoot flat at all caused a pretty big hole in game and uses twice the lead of a 32. I believe this case could safely handle any reasonable loads, do not plan on more than strong 32-20 loads.   Green Mountain lists a 32-20 octagon bbl with 1:22 twist which seems awful slow to me. Guess I should have included a few more details in my original post as I am still not sure the Green Mountain twist would work for me. That octagon bbl sure would look cute though......DBW 

Attached Files

4060may posted this 27 June 2016

sounds like a rimmed 300BO use a 30 cal barrel, and a 300BO reamer, cut the rim with a lathe......and you should be fine will not be NRA legal for cowboy levergun

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 28 June 2016

Well, I have a converted Remington RB, from 32 RF, with 1/32, to a Springfield barreled with 1/10, and several in between. The Browning 1/18 will shoot the 311440 Lyman (NOT THE 311410!!!)just fine at 1000 f/s. Savage 23 with 1/22 will shoot Lyman 311576 at any speed.

A 1/12 308Win take off barrel will let you shoot anything up to the Lyman 31141. The design work will be in the throating for the bullet you want to shoot. Think carefully!

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 28 June 2016

I have been shooting the saeco #630 140 gr. made for the 30-30 in my Ubiriti low wall 32-20 and had no problems. The bullets are stable and shoot well in my rifle. The Ubiriti has a twist rate of 1-20 and that bullet should be to long to hit point on each and every time. I have shot groups of around an inch, however most groups are around 1.5 inches at 100 yards. I do have a witness ric in Yakima. My interest in the 32-20 has started recently. I must admit to having a love for the 32 caliber. I currently own 3 32-20 rifles, a 32 h&r magnum I converted a shotgun to, not to mention several 32-40 rifles. The combination of low noise, low recoil and fantastic accuracy has made me a believer. My shooting partner ric in Yakima has convinced me that it is hard to beat a 32 caliber in either rifle or pistol. argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 28 June 2016

4060may wrote: sounds like a rimmed 300BO use a 30 cal barrel, and a 300BO reamer, cut the rim with a lathe......and you should be fine will not be NRA legal for cowboy levergun I experimented with a similar concept very briefly in this thread.  http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=11240&forumid=48 I did not get the accuracy I was already getting in the .32 S&W Long and determined that forming the cases, etc. wasn't worth the trouble.  So I had John Taylor rechamber that 16” twist barrel of .32 S&W Long dimensions out to .30-30, to be used strictly as a cast bullet plinker, and it is fun for that.  BUT the .32 S&W Long Bunny Rifle is more accurate and it shoots well with any reasonable load, as well as some which are bizzare... I would rank the .32 H&R Magnum with proper chamber equal to the .32 S&W Long and it might be a better rifle cartridge due to having a but more case capacity and stronger brass.  I went with the .32 S&W Long because I have a gaggle of revolvers in that caliber, and lots of brass, and it made sense to standardize.  It does what I want.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

4060may posted this 28 June 2016

Ed post #5 indicates he has a .357 mag Lever Gun bolt face might not work with .32 mag, I don't think the carrier will work either The only reason I made all the 32-20's is I have a 30-20 reamer and a 32-20 reamer...no 32 mag reamer

as for sizing cases, I do not, bullet slides into the case and a LEE FCD just touching the mouth holds the bullet in enough for a single shot

.310 dia for the 30-20 and .313 for the 32-20

pistols are another thing..6 chambers...need sizing and I will admit straight cases are much easier to work with

Attached Files

DBW posted this 28 June 2016

Ed, I looked at your work in the article you did on the similar project and it looks as though I am reinventing the wheel. I do however think the necked 357 is the best way for me to go as not much else will work in the rifle I have and my favorite revolvers are 32 h&r and 357 but find with my aging eyes hitting a pop can at 30 ft. is my limit so have decided to bring the  rifle out of retirement. I have lots of 357 brass and lots of 32 cal. molds and will probably get another if your work with the new accurate bullet in 32 acp proves out. So I now feel the Green Mountain bbl and this cartridge will answer my needs for everything from a near silent squirrel rifle to a deadly coyote, bobcat round. I appreciate everyones time and thoughts that went into helping me figure out what will work for me. With lead times for bbls and reamers looks like my next winters project is decided. Will try to figure out how to post pictures and report how everything works out in a new post when I  get it done......Thanks everyone....DBW

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 28 June 2016

4060may wrote: sounds like a rimmed 300BO use a 30 cal barrel, and a 300BO reamer, cut the rim with a lathe......and you should be fine will not be NRA legal for cowboy levergun This would be the 30 Paxton, often referred to as the 30-357 Paxton. There's a similar cartridge based on 38 Spl, but I forget what it's called.

Attached Files

Close