22-250 AND CLOVER 280 GRIT

• Last Post 10 July 2016
joeb33050 posted this 09 July 2016

Ken sent me some grit for fire lapping. I mashed grit into 8 bullets per instructions. Loaded 225646M, 6.5 Titegroup, M11 bbl on M12fv action. Shot 3 foulers, then 25 for record.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

Cleaned bbl, shot 8 gritters

Attached Files

Cleaned bbl, maybe too much. 2 foulers, 25 for record. First group was ????

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 July 2016

ok, we got a ” hmmmm ” and three ” maybe...” 's

what we were hoping for with the ” 8 shots of 280 polishing ” was smaller largest groups ... not so many 2.6 groups ... i am guessing that the validity of the improvement from grit is about 13 per cent.... ” could be ” ....

and it does look like bore conditioning shows up in group ( A ) . ... i still think maybe cast bullets see a different bore condition from shot to shot, but then 140 years of different lubes haven't found the absolutely stable one yet .

thanks joeb i was especially interested that the group during the grit shooting is really big .... that is unusual ...one of my weird tests was shooting thousands of shots with jb compound thru my 22 rf match barrel ... it didn't get worse and the groups were the same before and after ... .... what does that mean ?

cool stuff .

ken

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 10 July 2016

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: ok, we got a ” hmmmm ” and three ” maybe...” 's

what we were hoping for with the ” 8 shots of 280 polishing ” was smaller largest groups ... not so many 2.6 groups ... i am guessing that the validity of the improvement from grit is about 13 per cent.... ” could be ” ....

and it does look like bore conditioning shows up in group ( A ) . ... i still think maybe cast bullets see a different bore condition from shot to shot, but then 140 years of different lubes haven't found the absolutely stable one yet .

thanks joeb i was especially interested that the group during the grit shooting is really big .... that is unusual ...one of my weird tests was shooting thousands of shots with jb compound thru my 22 rf match barrel ... it didn't get worse and the groups were the same before and after ... .... what does that mean ?

cool stuff .

kenI'll shoot more with this barrel. It may have improved, probably did NOT get worse. The 100 yard range is closed for the next 3 weeks, so... I'm concentrating on Striker 200 meters in this period. Thanks; joe b.

Attached Files

Close