380 ACP dies

• 1.1K Views
  • Last Post 13 August 2016
Keith posted this 17 July 2016

My son and his wife are both shooting 380 ACPs and as Dad is their reloading source I am looking to adding the caliber to help them on the expense of shooting as he is still in school.  Pistols are a Walther PPK and Glock 42 (no cast for this one).  I am looking at a Colt 1908 just because I am curious. Others may follow.  My question then is to those that reload for the 380 what dies are you using for cast bullets.  My concern is that the most commercial dies will be intended for jacketed bullets and will size the cases too much for cast bullet.  Most recommendations seem to be to load 0.357 cast and commercial bullets are 0.355.  Can a sizing die other than a 380 ACP be used for cast loads which does not excessively reduce to case diameter? We will standarize on Fiocci brass if that makes a difference.Thank you all

Keith DVM

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 17 July 2016

For cast I size and decap with a .38 Special carbide sizer which reduces case mouths to .374 OD so that bevel based .357-.358 bullets fit snugly. I use my .32 ACP expander plug to slightly flare case mouths without expanding them. 

A .380 ACP seater works best, but a 9mm Luger or .38 S&W will “work.”  If case bodies are bulged at the bullet base you can run rounds through the .38 Special/.357 carbide sizer with the decapping stem removed to profile the case.

I like Accurate 35-120H with 2.5 grains of Bullseye.  The Fiocchi brass is excellent and among the best to be found in range gleanings.

Good luck in trying to find a Colt 1908 .380 ACP in shooter grade condition at an affordable price. I gave up on that hunt and ended up with a pair of sturdy and reliabe Beretta M1934s and a bunch of magazines for less than I would have probably spent on a .380 Colt Hammerless, had I been able to find one to my liking for under $800.  The Colt Pocket .380s are scarce and seem to cost just about double what a used .32 ACP M1903 Pocket Hammerless does in the same condition.

Post-war Berettas are extremely well made and comparatively inexpensive, because they don't have the attraction to collectors that the WW2-era pistols do.  They are fairly common and usually have great bores because they never saw corrosive primed ammo!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
RicinYakima posted this 17 July 2016

The only thing I can add is that Lee makes a good universal flaring die at a reasonable price. These are useful when you start loading “out of the norm” bullets in many calibers.

Attached Files

noylj posted this 19 July 2016

Sizing is NOT the issue. It is the expander die you have to worry about. Size and expand/flare a case The case ID should be 0.001-0.002” below actual bullet diametet You can seat a lead bullet in a tighter case, crimp, and pull bullet and see if bullet diameter has been swaged down. If not, go for it. If swaged down, you can order a custom expander plug that is larger.

Attached Files

Keith posted this 13 August 2016

I want to take the time to update the status of this project.  There appears to be a lot of interest in the smaller calibers on the forum and perhaps what I have found will help someone.  First I would say thank you for the pointers I have received as they were all helpful. I purchased a set of Hornady dies as I like their seating die and will have a die set for their progress which I intend to use for case preparation.  Cases will be charge (Little Dandy) and seating will be done as a separate step.  As I suspected the sizing die from this set reduces the inside of the case to 0.499.  This makes since for the jacketed bullets as it forms a stop like a canalur to prevent bullet set back.  However this will not work for cast bullets of 0.357 diameter.  I have received in good time two Accurate molds one of 98 grains and the suggested 120 grain configuration.  An old RCBS carbide die for the 38 special was available and the suggestion for its use gives an inside diameter which does not damage a cast bullet. And is perhaps just a bit on the loss side. The issue I found working with dummy rounds is that a sufficient tapper crimp must be applied to hold the bullet in place during cycling and especial if exracting a loaded round.  The Lee universal expansion die works for these loads just as described.  I am a bit cautious of the 120 as it must be seated deeper to allow for functioning and this will raise pressures for the blow back mechanizums. I have old Lyman data which gives charges for a 120 grain 9mm bullet of theirs and will use that.     For pistols I have followed a bit different path.  I was able to get in a short time a Kahr CT380 from my local dealer.  He has treated my son well in recent deals and deserves the business.  This is the 3 inch barrel version with cut rifling and has locked breach operation which should help with the experimentation load I plan on.  There is also a smaller 2.5 barrel model but I find just to small for my hands. These can be found for less than the cost of even the Berretta 1934s I looked at.  I am familiar with the action and own other Kahrs in larger calipers and find them to be well made accurate and they operate like a double action revolver I have shot many years.  The only issue is like the others I have loaded for the chambers are tight and this will make for a challenge with cast bullets.  It will not quite reliably chamber the Fiocchi factory loads I have which have a 0.003 thicker rim than the Winchester white box which runs with no problems.  Kahr specifies a 200 round breaking number and in the smaller calibers I find this to be expected.  I also found a Colt 1908 at a price I could live with but it was more than 800.  I will enjoy this one and it appears that it will take any load with ease. If all goes well possible I will look to the suggestion of other makes to add to the project. Keith 

Attached Files

Close