New guy from Indiana

• 1.1K Views
  • Last Post 21 September 2016
SamIam posted this 21 September 2016

I've been a member of the forum for awhile and joined the CBA this month. I've been handloading cast bullets for handguns on and off for 42 years. I just recently started loading cast for rifles. I'm loading for a Rem 1903A3, CMP Special in 30/06 and Springfield Armory M1A NM. I don't cast my own but am buying all my cast bullets from vendors online. I bought the new Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook and have also gotten a lot of info for my cast rifle loads from reading this forum.  I also ordered some of the bunny targets to shoot for the postal bunny match. I don't have a rifle that will make the weight limit so I'll be shooting my S&W mod 10. It's my favorite anyway. I really enjoy this forum and since I retired I've been shooting at least once a week year round. Sam

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
John Alexander posted this 21 September 2016

Welcome to the CBA forum Sam. I think you will find this a good place to learn from each other so don't be bashful either when you have a question or an answer to someone else's question.

The CBA has a standing offer to new forum members of a couple of issues of our journal The Fouling Shot.  If you would like to read a few articles about various aspects of cast bullet shooting just PM me your email address and I will send you digital copies.  We promise not to bug you further.

John

Attached Files

SamIam posted this 21 September 2016

John, you actually sent me three issues last year and I joined the CBA this month. I just ran across them on my computer and that's when I went ahead and joined. Thanks for the copies of The Fouling Shot.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 21 September 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=8324>SamIam

Your 1903A3 is a popular rifle here, I have one too and enjoy it very much. Mine was built with all new, old stock parts including a new and pristine UN-fired Rem. 1942 barrel that I was the first to put a shot through with my cast loads.

I've tried a wide variety of bullets in the rifle and the Lee  C-312-185-1R sure shoots the best for me. I also Hollow point that bullet with the Forster HP  bit in a drill press for hunting. They are #2 Alloy sized/checked .3105” and tumble lubed to slide fit my rifle throat.  My charge is 34 gr H4895 with ~ 32.3Kpsi, 2160fps, LOA=3.105", Win. Brass collet neck sized. No crimp, but I do return the seating case mouth flare to zero with an adjusted Lee FCD as a last step loading. The 1903A3 consistently puts 10 shots of that load in under 1” @50 yards for me with the GI peep. I like the rifle a lot but I do cover the butt with a slip on 1” recoil pad as the but steel butt plate is sharp enough to hurt and the pull is too short for me without the pad. I'm 6"2” with a 74” finger tip span.

It is my first and only 1903A3 that I got at a show 4 years ago. It had an odd but new poor quality sport rear sight and a resin fore arm top when I bought the rifle but have replaced those with correct, new, old stock GI parts. The rifle is a sweet heart and a pleasure to shoot. I hope you enjoy yours!

Gary

Attached Files

Close