Lyman #457125 mould info needed

• 1.2K Views
  • Last Post 10 October 2016
feather72 posted this 06 October 2016

Hello to the forum,

I am currently looking for some dimensions for the Lyman #457125 government round noise bullet.  I would greatly appreciate it if someone can tell me the length from the base of the bullet to the leading edge of the front driving band.  I would also like to know the width of the front driving band.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Keep your sights set and your powder dry.

feather72  

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
giorgio de galleani posted this 07 October 2016

Around 1977 I owned the two classical 45/70 governement bullets 457124 & 457125 for an Italian Sharps replica , made by IAB . The bands , with the too hard alloy I used were around 460 , and the noses were way too slim , they made no contact with the barrel grooves , they were too slim to be sure to chamber in dirty ,black powder chambers .I followed the obsolete indications of the Lyman manuals . The project was a failure and I abandoned the 45/70. More recently I have seen the light , got a couple of Marlin leveraction 45/70 one is microgroove and the other Ballard rifling and got a gang mold from LBT custom cut for my guns and for the alloy I use .Just that ..get affordable aluminium molds custom made for your guns and the alloy yuo want to use .No more mass produced XIX century iron molds .

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 08 October 2016

Tom Ellis at Accurate Molds has several traditional designs for the .45-70 which have adequate lubricant capacity for use with black powder, and which are improvements over the Lyman-Ideal designs, which were far less than satisfactory in my experience.

This one bears a close resemblance to the mold which Richard Hoch made me back when I did alot of 200-yard match shooting with an original 1884 Trapdoor Springfield.  We shot 20 rounds standing at 200 yards on the standard Military SR target and with good black powder loads, a Master class shooter was capable of firing a “clean” score.

I cast my bullets from 1:40 tin-lead, and lubed the as-cast and unsized .463” diameter bullets with 1 part lard to 2 parts of beeswax, and used the “carbine” charge of 55 grains of Goex 1Fg with a booster of 5 grains of Unique next to the primer, and loaded a card wad over the powder, an 1/8” felt wad over that and another card wad under the bullet to achieve 1/4” compression.  I used Winchester solid head cases and Winchester 8-1/2 primers in white boxes with wooden trays, from WW2 era, given to me by Frank Marshall.

I never chronographed the load, but from sandbags ten-shot groups at 200 yards were expected to be less than six inches, and on good days 4-5” groups could be obtained without blow tubing or wiping.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

4060may posted this 09 October 2016

to answer the OP question my Lyman Gov't bullet 457125 the OAL is 1.320, the nose dia is .450 the distance from the base to top of first driving band is .630 the driving bands measure .080 and the base band is .115 this is from my mold and knowing Lyman there are a few differences in another mold

HTH

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 09 October 2016

The SAECO M1881 mold is a very close copy of the original .45-70 Government bullet and a very good bullet. SPG lube, 65.0 grains Swiss 1 1/2 Fg, two .030 wads - one greased, and seated per specification will give good accuracy. At 600 yards, I score better with this load even though I use 2 moa more elevation that the semi-pointed bullets.

Out of 25:1 Pb:Sn alloy, the bullets drop out at .460 which fits the chambers of the Sharps and Rolling Block, the Trap Door needs a .462 bullet.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

feather72 posted this 10 October 2016

4060may,   Thank you for answering my question.  That is precisely the information that I was looking for.   To the other respondents I would like to say thank you for your input but I have no desire to shoot the Lyman #457125 bullet in any of my rifles.  Thanks to all of you for offering your opinions.   Keep your sights set and your powder dry.   feather 72

Attached Files

Close