Remington Rolling Block

• 1.7K Views
  • Last Post 09 December 2016
Tom Acheson posted this 10 October 2016

I now own a Rolling Block but know nothing about them.

The barrel is marked 7mm. I assume 7x57. The ID of the barrel looks like a well used sewer pipe. I'm going to re-barrel it in .38-55. I have dies and a mold, etc. for that chambering. But I'll keep all the original parts. I have an octagon barrel so I'l need to come up with a new forend. This has a long skinny “bayonet” (I think that's what it is). But I'll keep all the original parts.

What I'd like to know is what “model” is it? From what I found on the internet there were several different models of the rifle. Serial number is on the tang of the receiver (had to remove the butt stock), 4 digits, 47XX. On the underside of the barrel at the joint of the receiver is either V2 or maybe  W2?

Any ID help out there?

Thanks!   Tom  

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Tom Acheson posted this 10 October 2016

Here is the second photo.

Attached Files

4060may posted this 10 October 2016

Tom No.5 with rotary extractor set up for rimless ctg. not 7 x 57..usually 7mm Spanish..look at SPG news for the article..square threads...mine was 12 TPI..there are two No.5 RB, one with a sliding extractor, and a larger shank 1.060 IIRC..I have three that I shoot, 40-60 Maynard, 38-55, 45-70..two with single set triggers

I think I shot the 40-60 in the #22 match Postal once

The No.5 is considered a smokeless action...the other large frame No.1 is considered a  Black Powder action

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 10 October 2016

Tom: I have Rem. rolling block 7x57 mauser with a 1902 Pat. date in pretty decent shape. It has a rotary extractor.     Check out the “Remington Society of America” forum. Then just scroll down through the topics or log on and do a search. I have found the most info there on the RB.     Also, store the rifle with the hammer in half cock. Keeps the pressure off the firing pin spring.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 08 December 2016

The fellow who will thread and chamber the barrel has not done a Rolling Block before. He has done a tone of smokeless bolt guns for BR and silhouette. Is there a drawing or some kind of resource that identifies the threads in the receiver or do those vary a lot depending on year of manufacture, etc.?

Thanks!

Tom

Attached Files

4060may posted this 09 December 2016

Single Shot Actions  Dehaas has all the thread dimensions in the back of the book

Attached Files

kendog posted this 09 December 2016

The fellow who will thread and chamber the barrel has not done a Rolling Block before. He has done a tone of smokeless bolt guns for BR and silhouette. Is there a drawing or some kind of resource that identifies the threads in the receiver or do those vary a lot depending on year of manufacture, etc.?

Thanks!

Tom Here you go. DeHaas calls it a No. 1 7MM in his drawing but it is actually the No. 5. All No. 5 shanks are larger diameter than No. 1's. Best to measure the barrel that comes out of it for working dimensions. Might have issues with the rotary extractor and the 38-55 rimmed case.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 09 December 2016

Kendog,

That is good. Should be enough to get us started! Good suggestion to study the removed existing barrel.

Thanks!

Tom

Attached Files

Close