New Guy form California

• 1K Views
  • Last Post 18 October 2016
405 Grain posted this 15 October 2016

Just found this site.  This place looks interesting.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Westhoff posted this 15 October 2016

Welcome! Pretty sure you'll like it here, and you'll probably enjoy the Fouling Shot (Cast bullet Association publication - comes out 6 times a year to CBA members). What do you mostly shoot/cast for? No matter what you answer, you'll find we have members who like the same things you do. Some of them have the same questions you do, and often enough some even have the answers.

Wes

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 15 October 2016

Welcome to the CBA forum. I think you will find this a good place to learn from each other so don't be bashful either when you have a question or an answer to someone else's question.

The CBA has a standing offer to new forum members of a couple of issues of our journal The Fouling Shot.  If you would like to read a few articles about various aspects of cast bullet shooting just PM me your email address and I will send you digital copies.  We hope that after taking a look you will want to join us and get the Fouling Shot on a regular basis. But if not we promise not to bug you further John

Attached Files

405 Grain posted this 15 October 2016

Hi Guys: I cast pistol bullets for 45acp and 44 mag. I'll be starting casting for 357 mag soon. For rifles I cast for 45-70 and 7.62x39. I'm working on a sporterized Mauser 98, and when it's finished I'll start casting for 8x57 too. Go ahead and email me a copy of the fouling shot. If I like it I'll subscribe. Thanks.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 16 October 2016

405 grain, The offer is for a couple of pdf copies.  I will email them to you if you pm me your email.  The email stays with me just long enough to get you the magazines.  We don't collect emails or sell them or any such think.  If you join and want digital copies instead of the printed type then of course we need your email. John

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 16 October 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=10450>405 Grain

7.62X39 is a fun caliber for me to cast. My rifle is a single shot Remington Spartan in X39 and I have a great deer load and also a squirrel load with the Lee TL314-90-SWC at 1160 fps with 2.9 gr H Titegroup. The squirrel load groups under 1/2"@50 yards!!!

Squirrel load:

Attached Files

45ACPete posted this 17 October 2016

Gary--I have a Remington 722 rebarreled in 7.62 x 39. I've been shooting the SAECO 315 with 20g RL-7. You don't say what your deer load is--that bullet looks a lot like mine.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 17 October 2016

pete.... what did you do to your extractor to use the -x39 brass ?? ....

thanks

ken

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 18 October 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=5733>45ACPete

My charge with the RD 165 FNGC is 26.0 gr AA2230 for 2050 fps verified from my 24” chrome lined barrel. 2.240” LOA, CCI 200 primers. My actual all up bullet weight is 161 gr in Lyman #2. I've had numerous 10 shot groups <.750"@50 yd. H4895 at the same velocity does as well with accuracy and to the same POI.

Ink test with my bullets sized at .3125'” shows sliding contact into the chamber throat. Plus, I can feel them slide in.

My little Rem Spartan is pretty and a good solid shooter with cast bullets, the 24” long barrel is hardly noticeable on a break open action:

Attached Files

45ACPete posted this 18 October 2016

Ken--my gun has a new bolt properly sized for the x39 head, with a SAKO-type extractor. It started out as a project for a cast bullet across-the-course rifle, but my gunsmith was unable to get the gun to feed, so the project stalled for quite a while. In the meantime, age and stiffness has made position shooting less than enjoyable, so he turned down the original heavy barrel to make the gun legal for silhouette matches--a local club held monthly 200m matches. Regretfully, that club was forced to close--now the only competition it sees is an informal weekly offhand match between Frank Craig, Norm Quadros, and me--100yds on the TQ-4 tgt.

Attached Files

45ACPete posted this 18 October 2016

Oh yeah, I forgot to say the barrel of the gun is .308 bore, with a Lapua chamber and 10” twist. I've been wanting to try AA2230 in it, as recommended by Ed Harris. Since that powder works well for Gary I have even more incentive to order a few pounds.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 18 October 2016

45A, Sorry to hear about your club, but you seem to be having fun with the rifle, and that is most important part of shooting.

Attached Files

Close