rifled H&R Topper II

• Last Post 18 October 2016
delmarskid1 posted this 16 October 2016

This came home with me. I had one a while ago and let it go. Now this one is here until I change my mind again. I load 80g of fff,a nitro card,two fiber wads with an ox-yoke greased felt between and a .735” round ball. This is about what the Brown Bess musket was loaded with excepting pads and other frilly stuff.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 16 October 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=348>delmarskid1

Lee 1 oz  slug loads recommended in the mold instructions shoot better/faster than factory ammo out of those too. The Topper is easy to feed well.

I also shoot a round ball load with the Lee .690 ball in pure lead, AA hull and AA 7/8 oz shotcup and 16 gr TiteGroup at 1100 fps. The column height for this load is perfect for a nice star crimp too.

I found that BP and BP substitute loads in 12 ga melt plastic hulls bad.

Gary

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 16 October 2016

First targets: 25, 50, and 75 yards off hand left to right. It seems to shoot close to the sights as is. I was getting a little squeemish by the tenth round. I will adjust the sights if necessary for the 75 yards when I get the nerve up to shoot off of the bench. The recoil from this little beast is astonishing. The .735” balls weigh nearly 600g, or an ounce and a quarter. I want to try to skip using crimps and wads if I can. The plastic hulls look almost as if they have not been fired. I used Diamondback FF because I had it with 7g of R7 on the bottom for a “kicker” That seemed to work as I didn't wipe or use a blow tube for 14 rounds. It took 5 wet patches before one came through clean.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 16 October 2016

I like to sight them in to shoot 2” high at 50 yards. Then I can just about always see them hit at any distance I shoot.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 16 October 2016

delmarskid1:      That looks like some fun!     Your load is identical to what I use in my DBL barrel percussion 12. 80 grns. of 2f and 1 1/4 oz of shot. As measured with the same measure. I have not tried RB but with both barrels loaded with buck, it is definitely an attention getting alley cleaner. Especially when pulling both triggers at the same time.     That is of course with the real black and not any of that fake stuff.

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 18 October 2016

I would like to find out the powder charge on the Civil War buck and ball load. There is a lot of room in these cases for more lead. I went on you tube. The original buck and ball paper cartridge load from an ordinance manual was 130 grains of 1 1/2 black, three .300” buckshot, and a .640” round ball. I really want no part of a 130 and two ounce lead load from this five pound gun.

Attached Files

Close