Marlin 336RC

• Last Post 03 November 2016
Notch posted this 24 October 2016

My first post here! Have had this levergun I guess over 25 years and can't even remember shooting it last.I was casting boolits back in'94 about when the old 486 computers came out, been a looooong while ago.In any case I've too many guns in '06, 270Rem, 7mm Rem mag and several scatter guns.I've developed torn rotocuff tendons in both shoulders which limits me to cast bullet loadings for the Marlin 30 cal. which I already have many cases I've aquired over the years. Now deer season is upon us SOOO I needreduced loadings that I might try and the “net” has not been much help.Thus here I am with my plea for suggestions.Notch 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 24 October 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=10469>Notch

30-30 is about the easiest caliber to get shooting well with cast bullets as the cartridge was designed with a long neck for cast bullets and the case capacity matches the volume of powder that works well for hunting load level and bullet weight. You only need a bullet that fits your rifle and a reasonable charge to do well shooting cast well in a 30-30.

Too bad you have waited till Deer season is upon us to start. but if you have bullets that fit your rifle and powder, it is an easy start. 150 and 170 gr FNGC bullets are standard for the 30-30 and generally .310- .312” bullets are needed. Under .310 generally won't get a stable start and will wobble down the bore and shoot all over the place. As the bullets begin to fit the throat and ball seat of the chamber then 30-30s start to shoot well.

Selecting powder is easy for cast bullets in 30-30. The powder that gives ~2,000 fps with the least pressure wins. Look at the loads for 150 and 170 gr bullets in 30-30 in the Cast Bullet Handbook by Lyman. If that is not the language you speak, what powders do you have? What bullets do you have, what alloy and what diameter? I can give you a solid recommendation when you answer.

30-30s shoot best with powders in the burn rate range of H4198 to H4895.

If you don't have cast bullets that fit your specific rifle well, it is too late to start for Deer season. get the jacketed flat nose 150 or 170 gr bullets from Sierra, Remington or Winchester that are designed for 30-30 and use a powder maker listed START load. Then just sight in and hunt.

Be Advised that any of your heavier rifles will kick less with the same load level than your lightweight lever rifle.

My 30-06 1903A3 with cast hunting loads kicks a lot less than a lever rifle. I shoot the Lee C312-185-1R in #2 alloy sized/checked at .3115". LOA= 3.105", 34.0 gr H4895, 2160 fps @ 32.3 kpsi. The load easily groups 10 shots under 2” @ 100 yards. Great humane harvest power and accuracy for Deer to 150 yards with open sights. A slip on recoil pad on this short pull military 9 pound rifle makes these rifles very gentile to  a healing shoulder surgery with my cast Deer hunting load. It is night to day lighter in recoil than a 7.5 pound 30-30 lever rifle.

Any of your 30-06 rifles with a Hodgdon 60% rule load for reduced recoil would be a better choice than trying to work up a cast load so late.

Hodgdon 60% rule: https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20Reduced%20Rifle%20Loads.pdf

and

http://www.wwpowder.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf

These loads generally shoot more accurately than factory ammo or trying any new cast load. And the recoil level of the loads is low for youth and handicapped shooters but have humane harvest level power to 150 yards.

Gary

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
oscarflytyer posted this 25 October 2016

I have some cast and jacketed loads worked up for my Marlin 30-30. Send me a list of the powders you have and if I have a matched load with that powder I will be glad to provide my load data.

Attached Files

Notch posted this 02 November 2016

I have many powders that I have collected over the past several years and some of the powder I've kept sealed since way back when.Trail Boss, Hodgden and IMR 4895, Red Dot, Titewad, Tite Group, Clays, Clays International, several 4227 (IMR & Hogdon some old, some new) Unique, American Select, BLC 2, SR 4759 and my 44 mag.loads 2400. I like Elmer Kieth's load data so I used it a lot in my Ruger carbine.Appreciate any data for the Marlin you might offer.I've many molds and dies and equipment I guess I need to use again it's just adjusting to my RotoCuff shoulders I need to work out.Thank you.Notch

Attached Files

Doughty posted this 03 November 2016

Notch, A few years back I was recovering from a right rotar cuff surgery. I had just got the sling off and was going to PT when the general rifle season opened here. I too went to a lever action to start with, Mine was a Marlin .45 Colt with black powder level loads in it.

I found that in order to shoulder the rifle I started by holding the rifle barrel down in my left hand. Then leaning forward from the waist I would position the buttstock against my right shoulder. Keeping my right elbow tucked into my side I would then place my right hand on the action. Then using the strength in my left arm I could raise the rifle and right arm into a shooting position. It was slow, but I managed to take a whitetail using that method. Hope you have a quick and painless recovery. Richard

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 03 November 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=7554>Doughty I've had 2 shoulder surgeries.  I bore the pain a different way that worked for me. Get a sling! Wear the rifle on the good shoulder, and muzzle down.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Close