Need a CBA machinist to make special die for me & John Alexander

• Last Post 10 November 2016
David Reiss posted this 08 November 2016

In a conversation with John Alexander, we discovered that we have a similar need. Is there any CBA member that could help, please respond? Here is a link to a webpage for the die I need. If you can help, John will contact you about his needed die.

http://www.singleactions.com/401HerterPowermagCaseForming.html

Thank you in advance for your reply.http://www.castbulletassoc.org/images/emoticons/smile.gif

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
billwnr posted this 08 November 2016

you might check and see what's out there.  At one time I had a die to size down .41 Mag cases to .401.  All the case needed afterwards was the rim turned down a tad. The .401 Powermag I had would shake and break all sorts of parts.  I'm actually glad I got rid of it.  Years later I found out the issues I had with poor accuracy with cast bullets was the barrel was a .403 and the bullets I shot were .401.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 November 2016

i would be happy to work with you on this.

i would need your numbers sketched on a piece of paper if you know what you would like to try.

i find that any simple project needs several iterations....the first 2 or 4 are just ” design aids “... no problem . heck, might get lucky on first try .

how many cases would the gizmos need to size ?... i use 12L14 easy cut steel for most gadgets ... they would do a few hundred no problem, if you use sizer lube...

how about 2 or 3 incremental sizers ... then do the sizing in steps...?......and i usually make a ” ring ” sizer with a short sizing area ... would you prefer threaded ( 7/8-14) body ??

pm me and i will send you my email addy if you are interested .

edit...wow   41 mag is 0.45x diameter ....you need about 4-5  incremental sizers ...  no big deal ....

ken

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 09 November 2016

Ken,  Wouldn't this be a simple matter of sizing a .41 Mag case down to .400?   Should be able to do this in a standard sizing die provided the die also sized the base.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 November 2016

the 41 mag od is 0.45x ( oops see edit below ) .....depending on the 401 power mag actual chamber . it needs to go down to about 0.425 to 0.432 ....( chambers need measured ) ..... the upper part of the brass case isn't a problem ....but the bottom 1/8 inch is solid brass ....

i got interested in this and googled that several ... and glen frexel ... powermag owners use a 40 S&W sizer die .... to size down a 41 mag case then lathe turn a tad off the rim....,and re-bevel that .

some also blow up a shortened 30-30 case ...but that is a long way to blow out it seems to me....especially if hot loads are used ( powermag after all ) ...

if the guys measure their cylinders ( all of them ) it will help to see what is really needed .... ....

this should be pretty simple but still nice to wind up with something that is easy to work with . it also depends on how many they want to do ....the lee 40 S&W die is carbide .....? cut it off and use that for final downsize ? ( but maybe not best for continued reloading . )

ken

edit:  oops...my early source was that 41 mag brass was 0.45x... double check says 0.435 or so... so 1 or 2 step swage should be fine .

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 10 November 2016

I formed them from 30-30's. It was a nasty job with the tools that I had. A lathe would have helped. For loading dies I used 10mm pistol dies. I bought some formed brass from a guy in Janesville Mn. They were formed from 41 mag brass. The base of the case had either been swagged or turned.

Attached Files

Close