New to Casting

• Last Post 23 November 2016
IIICrows posted this 16 November 2016

My name is Larry, my friends call me IIICrows. I am new to casting and reloading. I have a Ruger P90, Ruger LC380, Marlin 30-30, Ruger 10/22 and a Hi-Point .45 carbine.My problem is finding powder charges for them. I am casting a .452 252 grain swc and .380 acp. Can anyone lead me to good references for my problem. I am using Lee molds and Lee Turret Press.Thanks for the help. I can hardly wait for your replies.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
David Reiss posted this 16 November 2016

Welcome! 

The two most important things I can offer is 1) Get your hands on as many reloading manuals as possible. They can lead you in a safe direction every time to the load data you need. While there is tons of information on the net, not all of it is same and can not be trusted. This forum is a good one, well the best for that matter, to learn from, but I caution you to get to know it's members before taking their advice. 2) Join the Cast Bullet Association today, the bi-monthly publication The Fouling Shot you will receive with your membership will give you a wealth of information not found anywhere else. 

David Reiss Membership Director, Cast Bullet Association

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

IIICrows posted this 16 November 2016

Thanks Chefreiss, I believe i have joined. Thanks for the advice. I will keep an eye out for info.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 16 November 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=10489>IIICrows

Cast bullets do dot have the pressure safety problems like jacketed bullets have when switching between designs and even weights to a degree. Cast bullet loads are based on a range of bullet weight.

You really don't need a lot of books to get loads for cast. The Lyman #4 cast bullet handbook is a good first choice and has a range of bullet weights and powders for cast loads.

The reason is simple, jacketed bullets have much higher friction drag and pressure in a barrel than cast does and pressures are substantially lower with cast. The calibers you mention show very little difference at all in velocity for bullets that are +- 20 grains cast bullet weight specific load for any recommended charge in the Lyman #4 book.

Gary

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 17 November 2016

IIICrows,

Welcome to the CBA forum. I think you will find this a good place to learn from each other so don't be bashful either when you have a question or an answer to someone else's question.

The CBA has a standing offer to new forum members of a couple of issues of our journal The Fouling Shot.  If you would like to read a few articles about various aspects of cast bullet shooting just PM me your email address and I will send you digital copies.  We hope that after taking a look you will want to join us and get the Fouling Shot on a regular basis. But if not we promise not to bug you further.

John

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 17 November 2016

i am a simplifier .... so ::

98 per cent of everything important with cast bullets happens in the first two inches of the barrel ... mostly the throat and a half inch of full rifling .

lead bullets need as much guidance and alignment as possible before ignition ...so the tighter the fit in the throat ..,. and usually the more engraving by the rifling.....the better the accuracy .

alloy doesn't have to be exact.... a wrinkle on the casting means little .... powder charge within half a grain ( except pistols )is good enough ....standard deviation of muzzle velocity is just a distraction ...

and lastly, while the search for extreme accuracy is interesting and commendable, don't forget to have fun while on the road to perfection ....

ken

Attached Files

IIICrows posted this 22 November 2016

Thanks to all for a very hearty welcome and well received advice. I lokk forward with great excitement to your guidance as i embark on this new hobby.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 23 November 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=10489>IIICrows

Your press sounds great, I load on a Lee Classic Cast Turret with cast bullets in many calibers and completely enjoy it.

A specific recommendation I give when starting to load cast bullets the Lee Universal Expander Die. It is used for flaring case neck mouths before seating cast bullets in any caliber to .50 S&W Mag for me. Generally, I flare case necks .004” larger than sized diameter for every load  and have zero bullet seating start problems. Lee Universal Neck Expanding Die:http://www.midwayusa.com/product/140461/lee-universal-neck-expanding-die>http://www.midwayusa.com/product/140461/lee-universal-neck-expanding-die

Gary

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 23 November 2016

gotta comment on your hi-point 45 carbine... a friend let me shoot his and it was a basket of grins !!! .... don't let the elite shooter cadre snobs make fun of yours .... i would like to have one someday for rolling tin cans ...

ken

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 23 November 2016

Welcome to the affliction IIICrows:

Being new to reloading, casting and shooting lead, my best suggestions are, if you haven't already, is to get Lyman's Cast bullet reloading manual and Joe Brennan's Cast Bullets for Beginner & Expert.

Search the archives on this forum. Many questions that you might have may very likely have been  answered there.

Stick to the basics for now.

And, feel free to ask anything that may not be clear. Read, double check, verify and be safe. After a while, you will know who  has seen the elephant and who has not.

Attached Files

Close