45/70 Manual M die needed

• 3.3K Views
  • Last Post 23 October 2007
CB posted this 06 October 2007

I need a thing to expand the case mouth of 45/70 cases while reloading at the range. Clayton made me one, but it got lost-I lost it, in the active voice. It was about 1” diameter for 1/4", then ~3/4” for ~3/8” then went to the M die part, total length was ~1 1/2” The 1” was for the handle. The M die end had a step to bell the case mouth. Before the step was ~1/2” long by ~.457", just so, then the step. I'm prepared to pay any reasonable price for this animal, I can't get bullets into sized cases at the range.

With the one I had, I could size a fired case, then tap the case onto the device. Then hold the case, and the warmth of my hand, (Pat has commented that I am a very warm individual), would expand the air and pop the case off the device.

I can't be the only person who needs one of these.

Thanks;

joe brennan 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

Joe Brennan wrote: With the one I had, I could size a fired case, then tap the case onto the device. Then hold the case, and the warmth of my hand, (Pat has commented that I am a very warm individual), would expand the air and pop the case off the device. 

Why don't you try holding the bullets close to your heart. After they warm back up they should be a good tight fit using the M die that came with the set.................

Attached Files

pat i. wrote: Joe Brennan wrote: With the one I had, I could size a fired case, then tap the case onto the device. Then hold the case, and the warmth of my hand, (Pat has commented that I am a very warm individual), would expand the air and pop the case off the device. 

Why don't you try holding the bullets close to your heart. After they warm back up they should be a good tight fit using the M die that came with the set.................

I have no heart, and there's no M die in the Lee Loader set. The Lyman die set has an M die, but that requires a press, and I'm overloaded now. Maybe I'll get a heart.

joe b.

Attached Files

Joe Brennan wrote: pat i. wrote: Joe Brennan wrote: I have no heart, joe b.  

Now I know where you manage to store all the extra bull s#!t.

I missed you sweetheart. :D

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 October 2007

Joe,

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm?viewfrom=145&catid=180&step=2>http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm?viewfrom=145&catid=180&step=2

Attached Files

pat i. wrote: Joe,

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm?viewfrom=145&catid=180&step=2>http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm?viewfrom=145&catid=180&step=2 Pat;

No, these are M die inserts, I've got an M die for 45-what I need is a hand held M die looking thing. If I could put a handle on one of these, it would be just what I need.

Thanks;

joe b.

Attached Files

Joe,

It doesn't look like it'd be hard to rig up a handle onto one of these things, a 1 inch round piece of oak and some epoxy should work, and the collar looks wide enough that it could be used as a stop to control the bell.

Attached Files

CB posted this 09 October 2007

pat i. wrote: Joe,

It doesn't look like it'd be hard to rig up a handle onto one of these things, a 1 inch round piece of oak and some epoxy should work, and the collar looks wide enough that it could be used as a stop to control the bell.

Pat;

You got me thinking I took the insert shaft thingie out of my 45/70 M die and I'll take it to the hardware today to see if I can get some nuts and or washers that will thread on and make a handle. If so, an elegant solution, and you can go right to the harmonic damper for my M54. When is the titanium due in?

joe b.

Attached Files

CB posted this 09 October 2007

Joe,

That insert shaft thingie is called an expander.

I hope you were able to find a doohickie and whatchamacallit that threaded on your thingie. Not being able to expand your bullwinkles so you can seat your dingdongs would be a gigantic pain in the wizbang.

If you weren't able to find anything at the hardware store go to the lumber yard and beg or steal a piece of oak. They might have a scrap cutoff laying around.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 11 October 2007

Would not the Lee hand press with a RCBS or lyman expander die be useful to you?REGARDS,Giorgio

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 12 October 2007

The object is to not need the press.

I got a nut and some washers, added them to the expander whatchamacallitn and it worked fine Wednesday.

My ISP blew up, I'm at the library, pictures of this incredibly clever modification to come.

joe b.

Attached Files

AMMOe posted this 23 October 2007

A buddy of mine fashioned a set up by using a Lee Universal Expander Die plug. HE had it set up so that he would place the plug, face up, on a small square of heavy aluminum. Over that he'd place a piece of steel tubing. INto that he placed the 45-70 case, mouth downward. HE then tapped the case rim to set into the tubing until it contacted the tubing rim.

The idea is that he cut/filed the tubing so that he just got the right amount of expansion on the tapered plug when the rim contacted the tubing. The plug was free to scoot a bit so it tended to be self centering.

Of course, he had to alter the loading sequence a bit to avoid tapping on a live primer!

It works well for him. ~Andy

Attached Files

Close