Scales

• 5.7K Views
  • Last Post 29 July 2012
CB posted this 23 November 2007

Which beam type scales do you guys like to use? I ahve a Digital and my RCBS scale is packed away from my last move and I can't find it now.

Any suggestions?

Jerry

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 23 November 2007

As a collector and trader of reloading equipment, I have had just about everything go through my hands. Anything made by Ohaus (their own, or painted for Lyman, RCBS, Midway, etc) have been very accurate. The other one that has been very accurate, but slow to use, is the old cast iron based Redding from 40 plus years ago. Kept clean and undropped, they will last for hundreds of years! JMHO, Ric

Attached Files

CB posted this 23 November 2007

I was thinking of a Dillon scale, not so much as the Blue Image of Dillon, but they warranty their stuff forever. I do have a lot of Dillon stuff on my reloading bench, but my Ruck Chucker still gets a lot of use.

Back to the scales, I was wonder why they all seem to look a like.

Jerry

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 24 November 2007

"Back to the scales, I was wonder why they all seem to look a like."

Probably because they were made by Ohaus Scale Company.

Ric

Attached Files

Bob 11B50 posted this 22 July 2009

I have several and an electronic scale.  Of the mechanical scales, I have RCBS 10-10, Lyman M-5, Redding cast iron, Webster, and two Belding & Mull.  I like the Lyman M-5 about the best, then the Belding and Mull, and Webster.  I find the RCBS is awkward to adjust with the drum that does not like to turn on the screw shaft. 

The electronic is difficult to use if there is any wind about or big temperature changes.

Bob llB50

Attached Files

CB posted this 22 July 2009

Scales

My favorite scale is my Ohaus 505 that I've had since 1962. Easiest to use. I carried mr Ohaus in my Kennedy BR kit from 1977 till 2006 when I replaced it with a Bruno scale.Like most I have a RCBS 1010 and a Bonanza. Check weights I have Mitutoyo no big deal. I always use my scale to set a new load and weigh the jacketed and cast bullets I make.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

TonyT posted this 18 April 2010

I still favor the beam scales made by Ohaus. They were made in the same fashion as the old analytical balances - hardened steel knife edge on an agate bearing.

Attached Files

CB posted this 18 April 2010

I bought a PACT scale and it works like a dream

Jerry

Attached Files

Savage99 posted this 19 July 2011

I have both as well. But I like the one that has an oil bath that slows the oscillations down

Attached Files

noylj posted this 22 July 2011

If I had to use a beam balance, horrible thought that that is, I would use the RCBS 10-10 or other beam that does not use a poise for the 0.1 and 1 grain increments. If you use a beam, be sure that it can not move while you are using it as it will lose zero. Be sure it is mounted so you can look directly and the poises and not suffer parallax.

Attached Files

jhrosier posted this 22 July 2011

I have been using the same Lyman-Ohaus 1010 scale since the '60s. It is accurate and reliable.

I wouldn't take an electronic scale as a gift.

Jack

Attached Files

Balhincher posted this 29 July 2011

Jerry,

I'm suppose it's been so long since you posted the original question my two cents won't do you any good but I didn't see anyone comment on a problem I've had with an electronic scale.  I've used a simple beam scale from Herter's since I started reloading in the 1960's and it has always worked just fine.  I don't know who made those scales for Herter but this one bears a close resemblance to the old Redding scales Ric talks about.  I've checked it periodically using some known weight and it has been right on every time.

A few years ago, I bought an RCBS electronic scale to speed up the sorting of cast bullets by weight.  Since this new scale was usually already out on the bench, I started using it for weighing powder charges and setting my powder measure.  To my dismay, it soon became apparent that the calibration of the electronic scale would change while charging a batch of cases.  I would zero the scale, weight out the charges to set the measure, spot check the thrown charges, then at the end of the run, check the zero of the electronic scale again.  Often it would be off by a significant amount and it was driving me crazy trying to figure out what was wrong.  When I was about ready to give up and ship it back to RCBS, I happened to calibrate it one day using the metal pan for the old Herter scale and the loss of zero problem went away.  I was then apparent that the plastic scale pan that came with the new scale was picking up a charge of static electricity strong enough to cause a variation in the zero and probably in the weighed charges.  If I remember correctly, it was in the winter when I noticed this happening.  This is when the humidity inside is low and static electricity always seem to form more readily and give you a little zap from time to time.  Since then I always use the metal pan and haven't had the static electricy problem recur. 

I noticed that some people had very negative comments about electronic scales and wondered if perhaps if they had the same thing happening to them.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 29 July 2011

Have had several electronic scales. I'm on my third Dillon and this goes back a long ways. Eventually the first one died (can't recall the problem) and I sent it back to see if they could fix it. Instead they sent me a new one, the current model at the time. That one too eventually got tired so I sent it back and they again sent me the current version. That one has been flawless since I've received it, their D-Terminator.

Also had a Cabella's which wasn't near as good as the Dillon I'm now using. I gave the Cabella's scale away.

Still have my old RCBS 10-10 and checking the Dillon vs. the RCBS every now and then....no problems! I write the Redding powder measure setting on the powder jug for a specific powder weight. The next loading session with that powder, I set the Redding, check the tared out condition and then pan of powder on the electronic scale and then do the same with the RCBS...same values in both cases. Throw 10 charges and then average the lot. I'm in Minnesota where indoor winters are really dry (low humidity) and the loading room is in the basement.

But...NOTHING is 100%. Using the electronic scale my “drill” is:

Turn it on a few hours before you plan to use it.

No wind or fans allowed in the loading room.

Use the metal pan (as noted in the previous post).

Every 10 or 15-bullets or so re-tare the scale. Push the zero button and while you are applying the lube and gas check to the next bullet, the scale will tare-out (if it needs to but seldom needs to, just a habit of mine). It's a nit to do!

If you're going to weigh cast bullets, the beam and balance is a joke (time killing waste)! The only way to do it effectively is with an electronic type.

Attached Files

CB posted this 31 July 2011

Thanks Tom for your procedure for maybe removing the demons from an electronic scale.

I have had a PACT electronic scale for several years and it is still working but it is sometimes obvious that it isn't good down to the advertised 0.1 grain and it also can drift a bit as Tom mentioned for the Dillon. Those minor defects are no problem for the usual rifle loads of over twenty grains but I am often working with charges in the five grain range and with powders that don't measure reliability.

Have there been any comparative test on such devices that can be trusted? I would like to have a scale that is reliable down to 0.05 grains so I could be assured that the variation was no more than 0.1 most of the time (2% of a 5 grain charge.) I wouldn't mind paying a health price for such a machine but am too old to believe that “you get what you pay for” and know from experience that a high priced device is often just as junky as it's low priced competitors. Are there any facts out there?

John

Attached Files

bwelch47 posted this 31 July 2011

I've used the RCBS 1010 scale for the past 30yrs w/o any problems.

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 02 August 2011

As far as manufacturers, I've seen the phrase “Lyman-Ohaus” and I've got a large scale I bought years ago from RCBS that says “Ohaus” on the protective cover. I've also got a 2 kilo Ohaus scale with beams that I used when I was building large engines to weigh components. Seems to be an industry-wide brand.
I remember very well a good friend of mine who wouldn't even use a powder measure. I watched him weigh out charge after charge by getting close, and then dribbling in a few granules at a time, with a plastic spoon. (See below) If he got in a few too many, he used his small plastic spoon that he would rub on his sleeve, and then magnetically removed a few granules at a time. Sounds slow, but it was a real exercise to watch him; amazing the quantity of ammo he'd turn out!I've got the same scale I started with in 1951; I guess these things really last! Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Savage99 posted this 03 August 2011

I have used both types of scales. I zero my Dillon before I use it and use the calibrate mode to verify operation as well. I have 3 beam type scales and I use them all the time to verify accuracy of the powder load. I personally like the Dillon electronic scale. The beam works well too, so don't fret. Just make sure that the powder loads are accurate and when you suspect something wrong then investigate. I like both, depending on what I am reloading.

Attached Files

CB posted this 03 August 2011

I'm using my elderly Hornady beam type scale. It's over 20 years old, but matches my test weights perfectly. I also have an RCBS/PACT digital that seems to have outlived it's usefullness. After a few minutes of use it flashes back & forth between the weight, and “tare” about 50 times a minute. I spoke with PACT and they said it's normal for it to do this. I must sound really stupid on the phone, it didn't do this the first several years I owned it.

Attached Files

TonyT posted this 06 June 2012

Ohaus was aprimary manufacturer of balances and scales. I use the old Lyman/Ohaus model with an agate beam knife bearing. It has served me well for many years.

Attached Files

adrians posted this 29 July 2012

i have a couple and the one i use the most is my 5-0-5,,,, i use the Lyman check weight's periodically to set zero ( not needed to do yet).

i have found myself looking on the auction sights for scales and then think ,,why am i looking here ?

so no complaints here with the ole 5-0-5 i'm good to go , have a great day ..:D

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 29 July 2012

Any idea who actually makes the electronic scales that sell under the names, Lyman, RCBS, Hornady , Dillen, ect. ??

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close