Casting Ladle

• 7.3K Views
  • Last Post 26 November 2008
Mike G posted this 10 December 2007

I saw a picture of a funnel shaped casting ladle last week on a web sight posting and can not find it again. Does anyone know what I am taking about and have a picture or know where I can find one. It had a lever to open a pin valve in the bottom of the funnel.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 10 December 2007

It is a Carl Cramer ladle. If you search for Cramer moulds, you will probably fine a picture of one. They were made for the BIG gasoline fired plumbers pots and need at least a 5 inch opening to work well. You find them on Ebay several times a year. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

largecaliberman posted this 17 May 2008

You mean something like this?

I seen one on ebay and the highest bidder paid around $70.00!!!

Attached Files

Mike G posted this 19 May 2008

That's the one I had in mind. I couldn't find any information, so I made one up that looks close to this one.

Thanks

Attached Files

CB posted this 19 May 2008

Lodge, who makes the Ducthc Ovens, makes a cast iron ladle:

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3967>https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3967

It even mentioned casting lead with it.

Jerry

Attached Files

Calehedron posted this 20 May 2008

I have that Lodge pot/ladle.  It holds about 4-6 lbs of lead but the handle is too short and gets hot quick.  I thought about making a wooden handle to extend and insulate it but I bought a #2 Rowell and just use the Lodge as a dross catch and large ingot mold if Im dumping my 20lb pot.

Attached Files

NFG posted this 24 November 2008

Another newby looking for pieces and parts...

I need???want a ladle for casting 1000-1500 gr bullets...something that will hold roughly 4 oz of lead. I will be doing a simple pour cast from a lead pot initially. I may pop for the Lee Pro 4 later.

This is just a bit of experimentation and no large or long term expectations.

I tried the Lodge link but nothing came up except the new Lodge page and searching fore “LADLE” OR 3967  came up bust.

I've been loading pistol, rifle, shotgun and black powder for 50 odd years but never any lead casting.  I'm playing with the “12GAFH” concept...525 to 1500 gr slugs in 3.5” plastic cases and soon to be aquired converted 50 BMG cases. :shock:   :thinking::doooah:

Thanks

Attached Files

Mike G posted this 24 November 2008

There was an article earlier this year in the Single Shot Exchange or the Single Shot Journal about making a larger ladle that what is normally available out of 1” or 1 1/2” pipe, but you would need at least a twenty pound pot to use it in. The basic idea was to take a 2” ? length of pipe weld a blind end with a pour spout near the top and than weld a blind end on the other end and then cut that end at an angle near the top half to let in the lead when you fill the ladle.

Attached Files

CB posted this 24 November 2008

Here's links to both the Lodge and Bill Ferguson's Rowell ladles. The Lodge is 4 1/2 inches in diameter so probably wouldn't work if you're using a furnace. Looks like Bill's #1 is just what you're looking for.

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=prologic&idProduct=3967>https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1new.asp?menu=prologic&idProduct=3967

http://www.theantimonyman.com/ladles.htm>http://www.theantimonyman.com/ladles.htm

Attached Files

I use bottom pour pots, so I don't really need a ladle, but when I am making ingots, I do need one and still looking for a good ladle, but maybe a No2 Rowell would work for me.

Jerry

Attached Files

Thanks to both...I was thinking of how to make one...I have both Alum and steel round and square stock handy, but Pat the #1 ladle will make it much easier and I tend to get smothered in projects and most slip through the BIG gaps in the floor.

Also just  started looking for metal and saw where Kalifornia is phasing out wheel weights in 2009...better stock up now.

Enjoy

Attached Files

NFG,

Do you access to a machine shop or a smithy, that would aid you in making one of these lades.

But I can't match the price that the Antimoney Man has for his No2 Roswell ladle by making it myself. I own a machine shop, a smithy and a small foundry.

Jerry

Attached Files

I have a lathe and tabletop mill, plus I was a halfast mechanic/welder at one time.  Just started with this casting business after getting lathered up over the “12GAFH” threads on different forums.

I could turn the slugs out of solid brass as some did, but the real problem is finding ready-made slugs for the 0.727” dia 12ga bore when I want them and in the weights I want to experiment with...and I'm one of those “I wanna do it myself” things.

I have plenty of shooters covering smoke and smokeless and almost every caliber, built 7 rifles in the past 2 years alone, but I was getting burned out until this 12ga thing came along...something very new and exciting...so I ended up buying 3 more shotguns and one shotgun rifled barrel for my Mossy 500.

This 12GAFH thing is definitely not for the timid, recoil intimidated or someone light in the pants...unless you fill your pockets with lead weights. :shock::wav3:  Hahahahahahaha

Attached Files

As far as big boy toys I just shot my 600 Nitro when I can. You get a healthy respect for recoil with this big bruits.

I do reconstruction and repair on architectural metals, a lot of bronze and iron work, so I have a good size machine shop and welding shop. But in the basement of my house I have a HF Mill Drill, it used mostly for drill press work.

It is still cheaper for me to buy a lot of things that I have the ability to make.

Jerry

Attached Files

NFG posted this 25 November 2008

I have a NEF BC that I rechambered to 45-100 basically to work with calibers and cartridges I left behind over the years...Nostalgia wise I did a 375 H&H, a 9.3x62 and a 458WM...not that I will ever actually use them for anything but keeping the T-Rex where he belongs, but “just because” I dreamed about Africa in my early yourth.  The way things are in the world, the loss of plains animals, the persecution of large animals and preditors,  "canned safaris", over population... Africa is the last place I want to go...Hunt has been taken out of Hunting for the most part.

I had been looking around for an “extra large” caliber to build.  Something 50 cal or over, not counting my smokepole and had a SMLE action I wanted to do something with, so I started researching.  Almost did a short 50 Rigby but the price for all the “stuff” was just way more than I wanted to spend on a SMLE and did the 458 WM instead.  I call it the 460 Boondogle McWildman to keep people from looking too hard at it.

I looked at several of the Nitro cartridges...been following the Big Bore forum on Accurate Reloading and thought about maybe doing one of the ones those boys had worked out, but nothing was titilating me amongs those offerings.  I had been following ED Hubel and the 12GAFH for over a year now as it was developing and now RobGunBuilder is coming out with some modified 50 BMG cases, 3.85” long and longer I think...for use in the NEF Ultra shotguns and is offering chamber reaming and a brake also, so I will be going that way...I just ordered an Nef Ultra Slug Hunter to get the process going.  Most of the slugs are cast but there are a few being developed with jackets and lead cores and some other very interesting looking sabots plus some really nasty looking critters.  Go on over to Accurate Reloading and the big bore forum if you haven't already done so and see all the goodies.

Sounds like you have a very interesting profession...foundry work is another “something" I missed out on...I worked construction and aerospace, and a few other I want to forget...and you're right...buying power is much better than “grunt power” any time...I have limited funds (read retired and busted) and my time is basically worthless so I can do lots of cogitating, fiddling, mucking up and redoing before the waste price gets over much more than a dollar.   .>:cool:

And...since casting is something I haven't done and the price of 500 to 750 gr, 45 cal and larger bullets is a bit steep to just toss out in the woods at ground squirrels, I thought it would be a good way to keep me out of trouble and keep me blowing smoke other than online.  :kilroy:  :D   :thinking:  Where's the LOL “thingy"????  Hahahahhaha

Attached Files

Mike H posted this 25 November 2008

Hello,

Before I aquired a Lee 10 pound bottom pour pot, I found the Lyman dipper was not much use for multiple cavity moulds. In those days, my brother and I were pistol shooting, using a four cavity Lyman 358495, and a H&G 50 bb, six cavity. Being farmers with not a lot of money, and I had a growing family, things were done on the cheap. As well, a lot of the things available in USA, were not easy to get here. We made dippers out of tin cans, for handles, we used fencing wire. The tins were small ones, not sure of the capacity, but about 2 inches diameter, and 3 inches high. All we did was squeeze the top in a bit to make a spout. The handle was made by getting around 2 feet of wire , bending it at the middle, and twisting it together, at the open end about 2 inches were left free and bent to wrap around part of the top of the can. A couple of holes were punched around the top of the can and finer wire used to twitch the handle on, as well the handle wire was bent at right angles, and poked through the rim of the can to hold it.  Melted the alloy in a large pot, gas fired, and away we went. Now the biggest mould I use regularly is a two cavity .30 cal 190gr.,and use the bottom pour Lee, sometimes I melt larger amounts in a big gas fired pot and top up the bottom pour pot , using my homemade dipper. I was pleased to find that the thin gauge metal of the cans seemed to last indefinately.

Mike.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 25 November 2008

Jerry,

I got a stainless soup ladle from a Dollar General for $2. It holds about 4# so one scoop fills my Lyman ingot mold.

Attached Files

CB posted this 25 November 2008

Bill,

Shhh! That is what I have been using for the last couple of years.

Jerry

Attached Files

Thanks again...all...

I used a small ss pot and the ubiquitous tuna can for making fishing weights for a lot of years. ;) I usuually start out store bought, top drawer, top dollar and complicated...then before spending any green I end up home-made, simple and cheap. :shock:

Being totally new I wasn't sure but what there was a specific reason to use the heavier material ladles...like keeping the metal temp up, but I will learn as time goes by.

I have a  price  list going, getting quotes for the mould makers and scouring the net for the minimum needed items.  I found a ss soup ladle in the kitchen catchall drawer that should work great if I stiffen up the handle and insulate it, and I dug around and found the old melt pot...a quarter full of WW material.

Steve Brooks of Brooks Moulds said he could make the 1400 Darwin or something smaller....About $250.  That really stung, not that the price is out of line or anything like that...it's just sticker shock...I go throught that shock everytime I start a new project....:vio:Hahahahahaahummmmm

Anyway there are always alternatives...this being more of an intellectual, experimental, “wonder what” sort of a project.  Maybe, as time goes by, someone will see a need that needs filling and get a side buisness going.  There seems to be a lot of interest in these “Big Busters” at least at one big bore forum.

Thanks again for the input. Any other thoughts and ideas, will be greatly appreciated.

One more question:

Has anyone used any of the lead offered on EBAY?  

One company offers  100# for $118, free shipping, in clean 1# ingots.  Sounds great to a newbe dumas.

I've already check on WW from two of the main tire dealers and they sell it to a local scrap dealer...haven't checked him yet.

Luck in your projects.

Attached Files

CB posted this 25 November 2008

NFG

Try Gunbroker.com and see what they have in the way of lead. I generally add one of Tin to 100 of WWs.

Jerry

Attached Files

I checked the local scrap yard and they have WW's plus a mixture lead “stuff", sometimes plumbers lead.  I just have to check them out when I'm in town. 

Does $0.40 a lb sound good for this type of lead???

Gunbroker had some WW and misc stuff.  Thanks.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close