Blue Wax Cast Bullets

• 6.2K Views
  • Last Post 16 February 2008
CCMachinist posted this 15 December 2007

Years ago in the mid 70's (1970's) when I was casting my own bullets,I read an article about shooting wax bullets and started making my own.I made a little aluminium 6 cavity mold and started pouring my own 38 cal. wax bullets .

Anyway,I was at a gunshow in San Jose,Calif in the mid 70's and saw a guy with a table full of professionally made blue wax bullets.They looked like real bullets and not just wax plugs. I think he was using the blue machinable wax. These were very well made and quite hard.Using the old fingernail scratch test.I have since made some with the conventinal 2 cavity mold with some success but I would like to find the company that made them on a high production scale.I have tried  the C&R wax bullets and have found them to be to soft.If anybody out there has any information on this company or knows anybody that makes these blue wax bullets,I would appreciate the help. I have googled this to death with no success.I got an e-mail from Al Gore asking me to take a break and let someone else use the internet.(haha).Fat chance Al.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 15 December 2007

Hi, just a note to be real careful with wax bullets; as a kid I made some from ordinary parafine, for my .222 rifle, and shot them at about 25 ft, mostly out of boredom .... then I got all creative and embedded fired small primers in the front of them  ..... they penetrated most of a sears catalog !!!  

I did find them useful a few years back in my .357 for practicing practical police shooting .... better than blowing a hole in my leg bones practicing ” non-hesitation smoothness ” ... ( not speed ) drawing my long 8 inch DanWesson, ..... I guess us Iowa farm boys are pretty easily entertained ....

I think I used Speer commercial plastic or wax bullets in the pistols ...

Hmmmm ... hey if you are interested in might be fun to lathe turn some UHDPE, they should last forever with primer propulsion ...   drop me a offline email, I will have some more dropoffs shortly.  [email protected]

When the material is in, I am planning to turn out some plastic shotshell slugs for my 20 ga H&R slugster gun, should be great on tin cans at 30 feet or so ... (g)... might need a grain or 2 of Bullseye .....   how about a spent primer in the nose ??  hee hee

regards, ken campbell, deltawerkes

Attached Files

CCMachinist posted this 15 December 2007

Yes, I also have shot my share of wax and speer plastic bullets.As a matter of fact I just today picked up some speer plastic bullets and cases.Since I last bought some they have added .44 cal and .45 cal.My little trick with the wax bullets was to add a bb in the nose before I poured the wax in the mold.I have also tried the 6mm plastic bb. It makes it really accurate.I'm going to drill a .17 hole in these speer plastic bullets and press a bb in it to see if that makes it a little more stable.They get pretty wild at a distance.

I am also turnning some delrin plastic bullets for a Tippmann SMG 60 paintball marker.It was one of there first markers after getting out of real guns and they made it fullauto.They don't make the paintballs to fit it anymore so I decided to machine my own.I will make them a little nose heavy by putting a tappered hole in the backside.Kind of like a skirt on the end of a ball.I made a few already and boy do they dent the sheetrock.I will chrono them when I get some more made.Of course this is co2 gas powered.

Attached Files

NuJudge posted this 27 December 2007

My Dad gave me a package of those wax bullets he bought back in the 1970's.  PM me regarding them, as I've been trying to figure out what to do with them.

CDD

Attached Files

CCMachinist posted this 27 December 2007

What caliber are they and what do you want for them?I am actually intrested in what company made them.Thanks

Attached Files

NuJudge posted this 28 December 2007

Excaliber Wax Pellets, 300 per bag, caliber .38/.357, and I have two of them. They come in a plastic bag with a paper hanger stapled to the top. No address is listed on it, but a business card was with them for a Ron's Custom Cases: 313 775 3704 in Roseville, Michigan. The area code in Roseville has now changed to 586.

Directions are folded up inside both of the bags, and what can read from outside says they are to be used with cases modified to use shotgun primers.

Attached Files

Whoops, found a third bag of 300.

Attached Files

CCMachinist posted this 28 December 2007

do they look like bullets or just wax plugs?

Attached Files

They look like a 2-driving band round nose bullet; if it were Lead I would say about 135 grains.  Just a couple of the bullets per bag look like they have flat noses.

CDD

Attached Files

CCMachinist posted this 28 December 2007

what would you like to get for them?

Attached Files

PM me an address, I'll ship them to you, and you can send me the postage.  My guess is that it is going to run about $10.

Attached Files

CB posted this 27 January 2008

I used to fire those plastic bullets, that used a primer for the propellent, they were fine for practicing in my basement with BB Gun target box, that was in the 70s. Now I sort of wish I could get those again, but hey I have a big back yard, it's just braving the wind and the cold for a little plinking fun :)

Jerry

Attached Files

CCMachinist posted this 27 January 2008

The plastic bullets and cases are still available at gunshops.They are made by Speer.I just picked some up a few weeks ago.If your local store doesn't have them Midwayusa.com  carries them.Bill

Attached Files

Bill,

Thanks, living in “BFE Ohio and Beyond” keeps me limited on my selections of stuff.

Jerry

Attached Files

I know what you mean.I live in a use to be small town.We don't have to use our sunshine pumps anymore.Thank (AlGore) for the internet. I am joking about AG.

Attached Files

I almost forgot about a hundred years ago I lived up some hollar in wva.actually about a half a hundred.

Attached Files

CCM,

I went to high school in a small town that was way back in the 60s. That town had one gun shop, it still does. But it became a Burb while I was away for 25 plus years. I moved back there when I was recruited to a new position. So I moved back to that small town, but it wasn't small any more. The people were snobs and keeping up with the Jones. When I retired, I moved out into the country, where the lcoal gun store carries as the average pistol is the Kimber line and Remington is the affordable rifle. They even have a Stoner 308 new on the shelf that maybe mine soon. This store is just five or ten minutes down the road. Cabela is about 40 minutes away.

My hunting grounds and target range is my 142 acre backyard.

I will probably live in this little town up until they take me to the rest home. But then where will I cast my bullets? Where will shoot my pistols and rifles?

Jerry

Attached Files

CCM,

Almost Heaven is about 25 to 30 minutes away from me.

Jerry

Attached Files

I lived in Oak Hill when I was young.

Attached Files

You come from down Charleston way? I live near Wheeling on the Ohio side of the river.

Jerry

Attached Files

yes that's way north.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close