.17 Cal. Shotgun=Hole In Rain Gutter

• Last Post 12 August 2020
mashburn posted this 30 July 2020

Hello to all of you cast bullet forum members,

If I had to face you people in person, I wouldn't tell this story because I would never quit hearing the teasing. Today I fireformed my first .17 Ackley Bee cartridge case .I had necked the Bee cases down to .17 with a false shoulder that fit the chamber exactly had annealed them and loaded with some fast burning powder and then filled to the bottom of the neck with Cream Of Wheat, rolled up some pieces of paper towel and plugged the ends of the case necks .I was so anxious to see what popped out after firing that I opened the shop door and didn't go outside. I stood in the doorway, stretched my arms out and pointed the rifle up and fired. It was quite loud. when I looked up I had forgot about the rain gutter running along the roof edge, well at least I missed the soffit under the roof. The result was ;A HOLE ABOUT THE SIZE OF A 20 GAUGE SHOTGUN SHELL BLOWN THROUGH THE RAIN GUTTER. After I got over being mad at myself I thought it was funny and thought I would give all of you people a laugh at my mishap. Well at least a perfectly formed .17 Ackley Bee case popped out when I ejected it. I may have to change my forum user name to something like gutter killer or some other fitting name.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
mashburn posted this 12 August 2020

From all of the responses, there must be a lot of shooters who have had some interesting and educational happenings with blank cartridges and shells. I also have some with live ammo but I'm going to keep them to myself. 

Thanks to all of you who shared this with the readers,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
max503 posted this 09 August 2020

I once shot a deer slug at a piece of plywood from about 20 feet away.  There were two holes in the wood.  One from the wad.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
Eutectic posted this 09 August 2020

My bed at my Uncles house had a nice 22 callber hole in the headboard where my cousin was sitting on the bed getting ready to clean his rifle after a hunt. My Aunt decreed it would not be fixed and it had to stay there as a reminder to BE CAREFUL!

Steve

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
Brodie posted this 08 August 2020

The star of a TV series inadvertently committed suicide while on the set by putting a 44 mag (loaded with blanks) to his head and pulling the trigger.  He died three days later.

I have taken 38 special blanks and they blew quite a hole in the old soda cans when the barrel was put in contact and fired.

The bang stick used by divers to kill sharks works almost as well when loaded with blanks as it does when live ammo is used.  Or, so I was told by Charlie Sturgill (an old and very respected diver with a ton of experience, now deceased).

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 08 August 2020

our high school put on a Junior stage play .. the script called for a character to get shot .. luckily the coach tried the 38 blank on the stage curtain before some kid executed a basketball captain ... points to the embarrassed coach for making the point known to the whole school ... 

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 08 August 2020

Hello Brodie,

This is amazing isn't it. Who would have thought that cream of wheat could do that much damage. The first few years that I was in the army, I was a Medic &  usually the night after pay-day and a large percent were drunk or drinking we would get some of the durndest  injuries come in the aid station from fights. I patched up a lot of fight injuries caused my entrenching tools (foxhole shovels). But, about three times we had injuries come in from where somebody had been shot with M14 blank rounds. One, that I remember quite well was a soldier had shot another at close range, right in the back of the bend of the knee. It was pretty bad.

Thanks for response and info.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Brodie posted this 07 August 2020

I do not remember the author's name, but I did read it in the Fowling Shot several years ago, where a member was forming 450Martini Henry cases.  He had loaded the case with an appropiate charge of shot gun powder (probably red dot) capped off by cream of wheat and a TP wad.  He was in his basement and decided to shoot this at a piece of plywood some ten feet or so away.  At the sound of the shot a half inch dia. hole appeared in the plywood.  Cream of Wheat and other grains would make interesting projectiles for home defense.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 06 August 2020

Hell 

Bud,

You should have told every one you were aiming at the dragon fly and never told them different.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Bud Hyett posted this 05 August 2020

At Tacoma Rifle and Revolver Range two decades ago, I was developing a load for my new Ruger #1 .22 Hornet. The rifle was doing well with a maximum charge of W-W 680 and the Berger 35 grain Varmint bullet. I was shooting three ten-shot groups confirming I had a load that finally shot. 

Flying between me and the target was a dragonfly. After one shot failed to show on the target, I looked up and saw a four foot circle in a luminescent rainbow of colors about the fifty yard line. And there was no dragonfly anywhere to be seen. I could never have hit him trying. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 03 August 2020

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the response and interesting tidbit.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 02 August 2020

David,

Somewhere I saw the Chronograph trick where you put a piece of electrical tape between the rods (rod to rod), fairly high up, use that as your target. Don't try and do accuracy and velocity at the same time, especially with a scope.

Dave

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 31 July 2020

Hwllo Dave,

People just won't let you forget mess ups will they. My brother-in-law took one of my sons out to the rifle range when he was a kid. They were chronographing some loads. Yep, you guessed it, my son shot the chronograph.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 31 July 2020

Two stories:

College buddy with a S&W Model 29 has a round in the cylinder (I can't remember why) and he closed it and proclaims (against my concerns) that he wants to see how the cylinder rotates and for some strange reason he has the round on the right side next to the barrel. You know what's coming. Yep, big hole in the carpet, slab floor concrete shrapnel, ears ringing, why neither of us got hurt, a miracle. He told his wife that he couldn't see the TV very well, so he moved the couch. Dumb luck I suppose.

Western Games 2020 Ben Avery Range Phoenix Arizona. Match #7 Sunday March 14. M1 Garand, Sierra 155 Palmas, offhand, with a so so score going after six rounds. Bang, electric score system freezes. Everybody to my right is also frozen. CMP tech guru drives out to target 72 and after 15 minutes comes back and said "you missed". However he is holding up a frayed multi cable and DIN connector. They looped the cable over a small hump on the berm on top of the pits and my off target shot low just clipped the wires. I still have the cable and my uncle made me a shirt that says "no cable is safe" with a bullseye and cable logo. Nice touch I thought.

Dave

Attached Files

Hello Ken,

I've got to try that if I can find a wasp nest located in a spot that I won't damage the buildings. Evidently I didn't have anything that you were interested in to do any trading on the list I sent you. When I was a youngste,r my cousins and i would take my Daisy Red Ryder BB rifle and spray shaving cream foam down the barrel and shoot our sisters with it. It would shoot quite a ways. Needless to say this usually resulted in Ma Ma taking the BB gun away for a while

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Hello ray h,

Hey shooting the wood bees to practice on aerial targets sounds like a fun idea. I'll have to try that. That reminds me of a article I was reading recently in a old 1950's gun digest where a fellow was hunting Dragon flies with .22 shot shells, it looked fun. I can throw my wood bee traps away and go fly shooting.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Boschloper posted this 31 July 2020

Muzzle control.

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 31 July 2020

I have a black spot on my carpet in the man cave, 3 feet away is a lump.

Next time, use floral foam.

Attached Files

max503 posted this 30 July 2020

One day no one was home.  Took my dad's 303 British Enfield and two shells into the basement.  Ended up only shooting one.  dizzy

This was in the days before hearing protection was common.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 30 July 2020

when i wuz young and nasty, i bot a box of Alcan brass cases for my 20 gauge ... so cool ! ... i found i could load them full of corn meal and wipe out a whole nest of hornets with one shot up to about 20 feet away ... i did observe that " blanks " aren't necessarily Blanks ...

ken, having trouble growing up ...

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close