Casting in NJ??

• 4.6K Views
  • Last Post 20 May 2008
greatzippy posted this 17 January 2008

With the rise in price for lead I'm thinking about casting my own bullets. I've been doing some research and think I've got the idea ... for the most part anyway.

Well i was talking to someone today about it and he brought up a good point that melting lead in my backyard might violate some EPA law or something .... especially the smelting (if I'm using that term right) of scrap lead. 

Does anyone know if there's any type of laws that might prevent me from doing this??

Anyone from NJ cast thier own??

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bill* posted this 21 January 2008

Just getting started myself, I haven't heard anything but I did about 50 lbs of wheel weights into ingots a week ago and I just did em in the backyard. ( I didn't advertise it). I can't see why any EPA rule would be different for NJ than anywhere else as they are Federal. Just my two cents.....Bill

Attached Files

lordgroom posted this 05 February 2008

I live in Southern New Jersey.  I have assembled most of what I need to begin casting, but I have not done any casting or smelting yet.  I don't know what the laws are in NJ, I just plan to stay in my backyard and not advertise what I am doing, especially since this is New Jersey.

Attached Files

CB posted this 06 February 2008

lordgroom wrote: I just plan to stay in my backyard and not advertise what I am doing, especially since this is New Jersey. That's the best way of doing it.

When you start asking questions to local officials who don't know anything about environmental laws, they just want to outlaw it and let you suffer the consequences. I think most EPA rules apply to commercial users of regulated substances and chemicals...................Dan

Attached Files

CB posted this 06 February 2008

I cast in my garage. I have a ventilated casting bench (that doesnt mean full of holes) and lock myself in there when I cast. My neighbors know I make candles and they figure that is what I am doing... A good cover for the smoke when I flux. As for asking the local government if it is okay to do this??? Politicians are professional liars and backstabbers. The less I have to do with them the better.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 06 February 2008

Greatzippy:

Don't know your situation there but ifin it was me, instead of alerting some moronic, public official or do-gooder about it, I would just figure out the most descrete way and do it! Often things are much more simple that way even if it is legal.

RD

Attached Files

shootera3 posted this 27 February 2008

I live near chatsworth, NJ, and cast all the time in backyard and garage. It is no ones business what I do, and I will continue doing so. That is my 2-cents. Don,t worry about it.

Attached Files

sharktown posted this 28 February 2008

I am a new member to this forum but I have accessed it over the years for casting information.

I have a shop set up in my basement and have been casting bullets for 18 years with no complaints from the neighbors so far.  I have a power ventalitor situated over the furnace and attached to 4” metal duct that is connected to a plexiglass insert I put in an open window.  The ventilator is always on whenever the furnace is on. When the casting session is over I remove the insert from the window abnd store it until the next time I cast.

This system works for me and no complaints from the neighborhood.  I assume that the quantities of fumes I am producing from casting fall below what the state considers dangerous to the public and have no knowledge of any laws preventing me from doing so.  If somebody has information on laws affecting personal casting of lead please share it.

Sharktown

Attached Files

Mauserman posted this 01 March 2008

I live in Pa.. I use a power fan and a hood  and I send it up the chimmey I tap the flue pipe for my furnace... People think I'm using a wood burner to heat my shop.. I don't tell them any difference.... What they don't know won't hurt them... No sense ask for problems.. ;) MM

Attached Files

lordgroom posted this 23 March 2008

I am close to Allentown and Chatsworth, NJ.  Would either of you be willing to walk me through smelting and casting?  I have never done either before.  I have the equipment but am waiting for time and weather.

Attached Files

shootera3 posted this 23 March 2008

If you want to give me a call, maybe I could call you when I am casting. and let you see how I do it. Steve.

Attached Files

lordgroom posted this 30 March 2008

Steve,

Thanks for the offer.  I tried to call a few minutes ago and it was busy.  I will keep trying.  I really appreciate opportunity to watch how things are done.  I will happily provide sandwiches and beverages for the chance to observe and practice.

Scott

Attached Files

CB posted this 30 March 2008

I live in BFE Ohio, actually 20 miles further away, and I just put up my portable welding table on the drive way apron and cast away.

Jerry

Attached Files

444Hal posted this 03 May 2008

If you can't cast lead in your own back yard. I reckon there'd be a lot of NJ Surf Fishermen in trouble ! :D

I wouldn't worry about it.

Of course if you're an apartment dweller like me, it could be a problem. :(

Attached Files

CB posted this 03 May 2008

I have a friend in the Princeton area that lives in an apartment and casts bullets in his kitchen from wheel weights.

So it can be done.

If you can't cast in your own backyard then what else can't you do on your property?

Jerry

Attached Files

John Boy posted this 10 May 2008

... Jrzy Caster Here.  With all the issues that NJDEP has - us casters are off their radar screen.  Just adhere to good safety practices so not to be injured during a casting session.  May have a tree hugger filling out your Emergency Room paperwork

Heck, I even put my dross and clips in the recycle barrel.  The guys refused to pick it up until a dropped a case of beer off at PW at the end of their shift one day Regards John

Attached Files

CB posted this 10 May 2008

John,

It only costs me a 12 pack. Must be the higher cost of living or some such thing like that.

Jerry

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 11 May 2008

But, BE CAREFUL to make no smells ur smokes,the libreral sheeps have a terror of guns,shooting and ,horrible terror of LEAD!!!

They have to take three sniffs of cocaine and smoke five marijuana sigarettes to recover after seing a single bullet.(theese hobbies are politically correct).

Sheeps do not like freedom in your own backyard ,they want the  Hegel's state  party to tell what wou must  think and do.Communists,fascist and nazi are equal,they only change the shirts colours and the managing directors of the big factories.

If someone protests, for your smokes, ignorant doctors (the great majority) and public servants,fearing the liability delirium will crucify you,

So as confucuis said ” the wise man makes no noise and no smell,"do not ask official permission and make no smokes.

Use only clean alloy casting in an apartment house.

Giorgio de Galleani,MD

Attached Files

largecaliberman posted this 12 May 2008

I do a lot of smelting of recovered lead from a shooting range, linotype that I manage to scrounge and wheelweights.  I probably smelted amounting into the tons.  One problem I had was the stinky smoke.  The remedy is to stick the tip of a blow torch like the ones the roofers use and keep a steady flame above the raw ore.  This way you will burn a lot of impurities (smoke) before the smoke goes wandering to your neighbor's house. 

It also helps to give your better half some money to go shopping and to the movies and if you have children, have them go with mom. 

Another hint, do not tell your neighbors that you're into smelting lead or better yet do not tell anyone that you're into reloading.  The moment they get a whif of the smell, right away they will conclude-------LEAD!!!, POISON!!! then they'll call the cops. 

I tried this once, the smell got so bad when my propane ran out of gas, I hurried to the refrigerator and threw in a paty of hamburger to cover the smell.  I must say, it smelled like a barbeque.  Careful though when you do this, make sure you have some distance because the meat would contain water. 

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 12 May 2008

Speaking words of wisdom,let it be,let it be.

The hamburger trick was realy great.

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 May 2008

I agree the Hamburger thing was a great idea. Out here in nowhere Ohio, I don't worry about such things. If I did, only the Ground Hogs and the Coyotes would complain.

Jerry

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close