PLAINBASE 30-06 LOADS

• 22K Views
  • Last Post 06 November 2009
linoww posted this 21 January 2008

I have always used 2400 in the 11-14 grain range.Looking for anybody who is doing PB shooting in the '06.I have four bullets i am working with now. 

The line-up-- LBT 190 Spitzer , Lyman 308241RN 140g , Eagan MX330KBR (sans GC) 165g and SAECO#630FP 140g. 

I have shot TrailBoss one time and it did fair with the SAECO #630. I have shot 700x and it also did OK,but 2400 seemed the best.

Not using fillers(dacron etc..) or “P” checks at this time.

I am getting 1.5 to 2.25” at 100 for 5 shot groups with the good loads with a 1903 Springfield with a Lyman 48 rear sight.I have shot some 1” groups,but not many.

The point of it is to get a competitive load for 100 yd CBA Military Match shooting without a GC. At $25 per 1000 for little copper cups its worth the effort!!

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 22 January 2008

I would use the Eagan bullet without the GC and the minimum load of #2400 which burns well and gives uniform velocities. Your 11 grain starting load sounds about right. That's what I am using in mine with WLR primers.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

linoww posted this 22 January 2008

Ed Harris wrote: I would use the Eagan bullet without the GC and the minimum load of #2400 which burns well and gives uniform velocities. Your 11 grain starting load sounds about right. That's what I am using in mine with WLR primers.

What kind of accuracy do you get?? Do you use fillers or “soft” checks??

George

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 23 January 2008

I get about 1.5 m.o.a. from my Sako silhouette rifle and 2.5 m.o.a. from my Mauser sporter with 4X scope. No fillers or soft checks.  Spead sheet attached shows results for Ball M2 jacketed pulls using Bullseye powder, “generic” cast load with “bought” #311291 and 4198 powder, and two Bullseye powder cast bullet gallery loads in several rifles.   These are recreational loads for practice, not serious competiition, but I expect that with more care in bullet selection this could be improved upon.  The #2400 loads when I was using them did at least this well. The table is a “preview” from an upcoming Fouling Shot article edited from the .30-'06 Bullseye Loads thread. 

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

linoww posted this 23 January 2008

Your accuracy is similar to what I think is good enough for my 100-200 yd plinkfests.

I also shoot the 7.62 x 39 with the 308241 Lyman and 8.5 of the old AL-8 and that is wonderful load for my bolt Ruger 77.I have never tried AL-8 in the '06 have you?

I had been keeping data on my plainbase loads in the '06 military rifles for a piece i was going to put together for the Fouling Shot.Looks like you will beat me to the punch!!

Do you think the soft checks are a big factor for the ultimate accuracy in PB loads?

George

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 23 January 2008

Never tried AL8, but AL5 and 7 worked OK with Unique and PB data. Never thought the soft checks helped much.

You should so ahead and do your article on plainbased loads.

I am using only Bullseye powder in the .30-'06 for my piece. Yours would add more to the body of knowledge.  As the cost of gaschecks goes higher and higher many people would be interested in plainbased loads for military rifles of any caliber.

Please finish your article and submit it.  Anything you can add to what is already posted is certainly welcome and needed.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 23 January 2008

Thanks for the advice.I may continue with it.

George

Attached Files

Mark Wakefield posted this 25 February 2008

I have shot thousands and thousands of 9.2 grains of Unique with Lyman 311410 130 gr. plain based pointed bullet in my 30 06 chambering in a mil sighted 1940's made O3 A3 made by Remington. I think was using a Lyman 311410 130 gr. plain-based pointed bullet. I think this bullet was at first for use in 30 carbines.

I vaguely remember clicking up the rear sight to 200 or 300 yards to flatten out the point of impact. My group in a 100 yards shooting on sandbags would be 1 inch to 1-½ inches.

This was 25 years ago but I remember standing up and whacking the 200 yard plate of steel with all five. String after string leaving brass scattered all around me, and a big grin on my face. The plate was 18 inches wide by 24 long.

This was 25 years ago but I remember. When the wind hit coming across full right left to right I would have put in maybe 2 or 3 clicks just to shoot in to the wind flow. Note on a slower bullet I would use a heavy amount of clicks just to get the slower moving bullet to move over and slide thru the on coming wind sooooooo nicely.

Mark M W

Attached Files

linoww posted this 26 February 2008

I have shot thousands and thousands of 9.2 grains of Unique with Lyman 311410 130 gr. plain based pointed bullet in my 30 06. I vaguely remember clicking up the rear sight to 200 or 300 yards to flatten out the point of impact. My group in a 100 yards shooting on sandbags would be 1 inch to 1-½ inches.

I have shot the 311410 quite a bit.its not to bad of a bullet .Although i never have gotten the accuracy you were getting in iron sighted guns! It's been about a 2-2.5MOA bullet at best in my 30 caliber mil guns and thats good enough for awful-hand practice or can plinking.I'll have to try your Unique load.I now use 700X for my lower velocity stuff or 2400 for a bit more.

This was 25 years ago but I remember standing up and whacking the 200 yard plate of steel with all five. String after string leaving brass scattered all around me, and a big grin on my face. The plate was 18 inches wide by 24 long.

We have a full sized deer sil-o-et at 200 meters that i bang away at with my PB 30 loads in my 1903.Thats as fun as it gets.

You should try the SAECO #630 (140g Flat point plain base).Its a real gem and i find it shoots well enough in many 30 caliber guns.A plus is you can get it in a 4 cavity!!

MY 308241 8 cavity lyman Armory mold i just purchased is doing about 2.5"@ 100(10 shot groups) out of a scoped accurate 30-30.I just cast another 400 and segregated them into groups of 8 from each pour. I want to shoot one from each hole and see how they group as a “team"I then plan to shoot one cavity singly and see what happens.Alot of work,but I want to use the data in an article I am trying to write.Nobody would publish or read it,but its still fun to try<G>

George

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 26 February 2008

Geo.,

You'd be surprised at what we will read! There is so little cast bullet stuff written than can be backed up with real shooting experience, not keyboard dreams, that it is all valuable!

Ric

Attached Files

Gene posted this 28 February 2008

George,

I don't see a saeco #630 listed on their website.  Please advise.

Thanks,

Gene Perryman

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 28 February 2008

Gene wrote: I don't see a saeco #630 listed on their website.  Please advise. It's not on the regular bullet list, check the “traditional” bullet list with the blackpowder and cowboy slugs.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 29 February 2008

Ed is correct.I should have mentioned that.It's a goody.

I was sorting through a bunch of targets last night and i found a few groups i shot with that one.On load was 10.0 of Trailboss and the other was 7.0 of 700X.Both had a few groups in the 1"-1.5” range at 100 with a 1903 Springfiled with issue sights.The bad groups were a bit over 2". I hadnt remembered Trailboss doing that well.

George

Attached Files

charlie nz posted this 01 March 2008

I am planning to shoot the 185 grain MX .30 ARD Eagan bullet in my 30 BR bench rifles without a gas check and trials have shown that the bullet base will not intrude into the powder space. I have long believed that plain base bullets represent the purest form of cast bullet shooting,after all the copper cup is a kind of jacket albeit a very short one.I have had so far pleasing success using the 180 grain RCBS bullet minus GC in a target weight Martini in 30 30 plus 15 grains of 4198, the only thing that has me stumped is what alloy should I be using?What do you folk use?

Thank you

Chalie Ford 

Attached Files

castshooter-too posted this 25 August 2008

linoww: I use the saeco 630 140 fp cast of 50/50 ww lead in a savage 110 with 11.2gr. reddot and get good accuracy to 200yds.:cool:

Attached Files

Mark Wackerfeld posted this 25 August 2008

Hi All;

I'm working with my new 1940's stile  03 A3 in 30 06 with Redfield long slide rear sight and hooded front sight. I have never shot this gun before. But I have shot many other 03 A3's just like it.

I'm shooting a Lyman 311241 Bullet Mold 150g Plane Base same mold as the earlier production number >>308241 it will cast DIA .314 to .315. The load I have tried for 30 06 is 11.3g Red Dot. I want to make the move to 13.5 Red Dot real soon. I'm a thinking I need a little more pop for the bang. So as to get some more feet per sec. in this load then it will tighten the group up. My shooting was from the 100 yard mark. I was suffering form a gusty 15 mile per hour wind right to left. But I got off 10 shots in side of 3 1/4 inches.

With my new 1940's stile  03 A3. My load for Lyman bullet 311291 @ 170gr RN- gas checked bullet cast at DIA .314 in 30 06 is 13.5g Red Dot.  This load returned 5 shots in side of 2 3/4 inches at 100 yards all in the same windy day. Sorry about the gas checked bullet yack yack. But we are still talking Red Dot cast bullet shooting. 

More later Mark

Attached Files

Mark Wackerfeld posted this 25 August 2008

Chalie Ford; 

I have a BSA Martini I chambered in 30 30 Winchester.

I do like shooting a Lyman 311241 bullet as a 150g plane base bullet with 9.2g of Red Dot or 10 grains of Unique.

Lyman bullet alloy number 2 is the bullet hardness I think you should I be using. The Lyman bullet alloy number 2 recipe you can find. “On page 57 of Lyman cast bullet handbook.â€?

9p wheel weights + 1 p 50/0 bar solder = 10 p #2 alloy

4p lino + 1p 50/50 bar solder + 5p pure lead = 10 p #2 alloy

If you can't get close to lino type metal from the printing industry. The there is a water quench method out there for those who like to heat treat bullet metal. Some casters like to size their bullets first! Then run the bullets to the oven heat to 440 degs for 30 min. then quench the bullets in water. Some like me! Me just knock the bullet from the mold strait into the bucket of water. I was knock'n out 400 g 45 70 bullets like this way one day. Till the splash back from the heavy bullets soaked the crotch of my blue jeans. The very heavy splash back got me so cold..... I had to go back in and change clothing. That's a tender deal there boys, I want you to know!

Mark

Attached Files

linoww posted this 26 August 2008

castshooter-too wrote:  

linoww: I use the saeco 630 140 fp cast of 50/50 ww lead in a savage 110 with 11.2gr. reddot and get good accuracy to 200yds.:cool:

Nice Little bullet “innit"

I have shot it at 200 a few times but it sure strays alot in the wind.I would imagine 11.2 of Red Dot is moving out pretty fair velocity wise.How fast do you figure its going?

George

Attached Files

Mark Wackerfeld posted this 28 August 2008

Geo;

I'm not one to have tools to gather bullet speed as of yet. So I don't know how fast that bullet is moving down gange.

I have that shortened 308241 Lyman mold. It's a plane bace bullet RN that must be 130g to 140g. I can't weight to cast some up. Then give the shortened 308241 a 135'ish g Lyman mold a try in my 30 30. This is a setup for winter work for the shooting of my 30 30 Rook BSA in the 50 yard indoor range.

Mark

Attached Files

linoww posted this 28 August 2008

I have that shortened 308241 Lyman mold. It's a plane bace bullet RN that must be 130g

I have that one too,but have never shot it.Keep me posted.

George

Attached Files

Wally Enga posted this 28 August 2008

A couple of years ago, I had NEI make a 4 cavity 168gn plainbase that drops at about .316. I have shot it quite a bit in the Finn M39's and even sized it down to 310 for the Swiss K-31's.

With about 9.5gns of Unique (aprox 1200 fps) it will usually hold pretty close to the 10 ring on the MR-31 target at 100 yds. But and this is a big but --- out of about every 10 shot string it will throw a flyer that will go way out in the 7 or 8 ring.

Works good for practice, wind doping, etc. but not consistent enough to use in a match. Correct that --- it is plenty accurate enough fo me to use in an Offhand Match :(

For a plainbase bullet in the 1200 fps range , I don't think I  would use an alloy harder then WW's because the pressures are so low.  I've had the best results with an alloy of about ½  WW's & ½ lead or just straight medical lab (nuclear medicine casings) --- BHN of only a little over 10.

Wally

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close