1819 Hall Rifle Mold

  • Last Post 14 October 2019
Rescuerandy2 posted this 13 October 2019

Good Afternoon,

I just purchased an 1819 Hall long rifle and need recommendations on bullet size and molds.  Thanks, Randy.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
M3 Mitch posted this 14 October 2019

If it's a muzzle loader, probably a round ball mold, you need to measure the caliber.  You could just get some 36, 44, etc. round balls and see which one is closest to fit.  Or the caliber may be marked on the barrel somewhere. 

Attached Files

beagle6 posted this 14 October 2019

I believe the original load used a .525 unpatched round ball.

Attached Files

  • Liked by
  • delmarskid
RicinYakima posted this 14 October 2019

 OK, nobody else wants to answer this one. The original flintlock rifle used a .525" round ball in a paper cartridge with 100 grains of powder and fold that held 4 grains of priming powder. Many of these were converted to .69 caliber musket with a paper patched ball. You should be able to look at the front of the tipping block chamber and measure to see if it is a .52 or 69" block. If a 69 block, make sure the barrel is also .69 and not a 52"!!! Blocks will interchange between most Hall rifles and carbines. Good Luck and be safe!

My brother and I shot his Hall Dragoon Carbine once, but I wouldn't do it again. There is a lot fire coming out of the chamber barrel joint.

Attached Files