New Chambering From Savage For 2008

• 6.4K Views
  • Last Post 19 February 2008
CB posted this 12 February 2008

A friend passed this on to me and I thought the folks here would find it interesting..

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2008/01/07/6mmbr-rifles-from-savage-arms/>http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2008/01/07/6mmbr-rifles-from-savage-arms/

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Wally Enga posted this 12 February 2008

Whoa --- That is interesting!

Now if I just could get Mike Mohler to supply me with 6mm bullets that would be a great Production Gun setup.  :cool:

Wally

Attached Files

Gee Wally Quit pickin on poor Mikey.. A squirrel finds a nut every now and then..

I betcha nuts will be slim pickin in KC this year!

Aint that right Dan??

Attached Files

Hey, don't drag me in on pickin' on Mickey......

The rest of you squirrels need to get yer nuts lined up in a row and take hope the cache.

I hope everybody gets a new Savage M12 in 6mmBR.   That will make things interesting, since the 6BR currently hasn't dominated the custom guns either, and prove another point to the pip-squeaks out there accordingly to top aggs. A winner will still have to get the new Savage to shoot CBs. The 6mmBR itself ain't gonna do it for ya...................:coffee

Attached Files

You tell em' Dan!

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 February 2008

I did some digging at Savage.. The 6BR comes in the long range precision varminter..

12 Series Varmint Model 12 Long Range Precisison Varminter (Repeater) Action Short Caliber 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, 204 Ruger, 6 Norma BR Overall Length 46.25” Barrel Length 26", 1” in diameter extra heavy barrel Weight 12 lbs. Magazine Capacity 4 rounds Stock Black synthetic H-S Precision Varmint Stock with molded alloy bedding system Sights Drilled and tapped for http://www.savagearms.com/cs_scope.htm>scope mounts Rifling Rate of Twist 223 Rem (1 in 7” and 1 in 9") 204 Ruger (1 in 7") 22-250 Rem (1 in 9” and 1 in 12") Features Right bolt, right port target action, AccuTriggerâ„¢ adjustable from approx 6 oz to 2 1/2 lbs, oversized bolt handle, stainless barreled action, extra heavy free-floating, button-rifled barrel 1 inch in diameter, H-S Precision stock, and swivel studs. Suggested Retail $1,208.00 usrimages/12lrpv.jpg

But also they have this jewel for the 223 crowd...

12 Series Varmint Model 12 BTCSS Action Short Caliber 223 Rem, 204 Ruger, 22-250 Rem Overall Length 46.25” Barrel Length 26" Weight 10 lbs. Magazine Capacity 4 rounds Stock Laminate, vented thumbhole Sights Drilled and tapped for scope mounting Rifling Rate of Twist 223 Rem 1 in 9", 204 Ruger and 22-250 Rem 1 in 12” Features Heavy fluted barrel with recessed target crown, Dual pillar bedding, AccuTrigger, three sling swivel studs Suggested Retail $981.00

usrimages/12BTCSS.jpg

And I also see that they have the stand Model 12 in 308 back in the lineup...

Attached Files

Wally Enga posted this 13 February 2008

Jeff Bowles wrote: I did some digging at Savage.. The 6BR comes in the long range precision varminter.. 12 Series Varmint Model 12 Long Range Precisison Varminter (Repeater)

Action Short   Caliber 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, 204 Ruger, 6 Norma BR

Overall Length 46.25"  Barrel Length 26", 1” in diameter extra heavy barrel

Weight  12 lbs.

******************With a 12 lb weight limit in Production Class --- that one is going to require a really light scope.  ;)

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 13 February 2008

Now if they would just chamber a .30 BR...:fire

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 13 February 2008

That 6mmBR looks nice :)

However I got to looking around in the Savage web site and see they have been making a “F” class in 6.5-284 Norma ! Now that I find way way more intresting .

How are these new Savage's for accuracy ? Compared say to a similar Remington 700 ?

The 6.5-284 intrests me for reguler old jacketed bench rest bullets though .>

Attached Files

Attached Files

6pt-sika wrote: How are these new Savage's for accuracy ? Compared say to a similar Remington 700 ?

My new Remington Varmint 308Win barrel is large in the bore at the chamber end. I think when Remington hammer forges barrels, they put any runnout of bore diameter at the chamber end which is good for jacketed bullets, but it is absolutely miserable for bore-ride CBs. I plan on throating the thing some day and shoot a groove-ride bullet in it.

The M12 F-Class and M12 LRPV won't make weight class for CBA Production Class. :vio:

Attached Files

"But also they have this jewel for the 223 crowd..."

The 223 crowd in cast is really pretty small and is going to get smaller when I go to the 204 Ruger. Can't stand all that recoil of the 223 and also uses up a lot of linotype.

John

Attached Files

Dan Willems wrote: 6pt-sika wrote: How are these new Savage's for accuracy ? Compared say to a similar Remington 700 ?

My new Remington Varmint 308Win barrel is large in the bore at the chamber end. I think when Remington hammer forges barrels, they put any runnout of bore diameter at the chamber end which is good for jacketed bullets, but it is absolutely miserable for bore-ride CBs. I plan on throating the thing some day and shoot a groove-ride bullet in it.

The M12 F-Class and M12 LRPV won't make weight class for CBA Production Class. :vio:

I'm not intrested in this thing for competition or cast bullets !

Just intrested in some bench shooting for fun with jacketed bullets .>

Attached Files

CB posted this 14 February 2008

John You have got to be kidding me! Recoil?? Too much lino???

:thinking:

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 14 February 2008

I've been looking around for one of the 6.5-284 Norma's and it seems my local guys can get me one for about $950 I think . Have also seen a couple on gunsamerica /gunbroker and these are that price to maybe $100 more .

That Savage looks kinda fun and throw a 36x Weaver on top ;)

Kinda like to have a Leupold Competition 40x but not at $950 versus $375 for the Weaver !!!!!!!

Attached Files

djohns posted this 18 February 2008

Jeff

Just wanted to let you know that I have completed my experiment with the 6br 1000 yard rifle and yes it will shoot cast bullets very nicely.

This new rifle from savage in 6br should be about the same chamber freebore and throating of what most guys are shooting 1000 yard with. If they have made it for the 1000 yard folks then it is probably set up to shoot the 105 to 115 grain range of long distance bullets in 6mm.

See my final report on the 6br 1000 yard rifle for cast bullets for more details on what it took to make this rifle shoot 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards, 2200fps with linotype bullets.

Danny

Attached Files

Idaho Sharpshooter posted this 18 February 2008

Now to get them to chamber it in 30BR with a short enough barrel to make weight, or just forget competition and enjoy retirement with the perfect cast bullet rifle and cartridge.

Rich

Attached Files

CB posted this 19 February 2008

Gee Rich, the thought of that brings a tear to my eye!

Attached Files

Idaho Sharpshooter posted this 19 February 2008

I called them this morning.  Does the phrase “can do” ring a bell?  Now to convince them to build one that will make the weight limits and catalogue it!

Rich

Attached Files

Close