paper patch 45/70

• 14K Views
  • Last Post 28 June 2009
NORMSUTTON posted this 22 February 2008

never did much on 30 cal. bullets but I still paper patch my 45/70's  , When that first article came out in the American Rifleman me and some buddies of mine started missing around with it,  they  kind of lost interest in it before the last installment and it's been in the back of my head ever since. back in those days we didn't the Internet or the time and  now I'm learning about hard cast bullets    pix of  my paper patch 45/70 bullets

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Nrut posted this 23 March 2008

Nice looking patch job Norm...what mold that bullet come from and what did you size it down to before you patched it up?...Alloy?...How does it shot and out of what rifle?...lots of questions eh?...I am just starting with paper patch is why I ask..:)

Attached Files

NORMSUTTON posted this 23 March 2008

Nrut

I size it down to 452 after  dried  I run it though a 458 seizer die to lube it this the mold http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=363401>http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=363401  I like the hollow base because the tail of the paper patch goes right in the hollow base base   air cooled wheel weights shoots good in my Remington Keen   NORM

Attached Files

Nrut posted this 23 March 2008

Thanks Norm....I know a feller that has that mold and doesn't care for it shooting it as a grease groove bullet...I bet he would sell it...

Thanks again,:)

mic

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 29 March 2008

I did not know PPB had the grease lubes..Or can any bullet be patched like that?:shock:

Attached Files

NORMSUTTON posted this 29 March 2008

2frogs wrote: I did not know PPB had the grease lubes..Or can any bullet be patched like that?:shock:

I don't see any reason why not

NORM

Attached Files

PETE posted this 30 March 2008

2frogs,

Normally you'd be right. But the idea of patching GG bullets is one that E.H.Harrison advocated in his book many years ago, and some have tried it out over the years. I've never heard what kind of accuracy the guys doing it this way have gotten tho.

Being an old “Paper Patcher", in the Traditional way, I wonder about lubing the bullet and then patching it. The idea in PP'ing is to have the patch leave the bullet on exit from the muzzle, OR, stay on the bullet all the way to the target. With lube on the bullet, and then the patch, I can easily see that either way would be kind of iffy.

Normally in PP'ing we lightly lube the patch on the outside after patching, and at that have some problems getting the patch to leave the bullet at the muzzle. With over .40 cal. bullets I expect to get about 1 1/4 MOA.

I'm currently working with PP'ing in a .38/55, along with breech seating, and some other ideas, to see if I can't improve the accuracy that way. A friend and I feel PP'ing should be able to do sub MOA, but so far neither of us can say we've gotten that on a consistent basis.

I was wondering if NORM could fill me in on the accuracy of doing things this way.

PETE

Attached Files

NORMSUTTON posted this 30 March 2008

PETE   I don't put lube on it the first time I size it,I only lube it after the pp is on it and I run it though a 458 die to do that.       NORM

Attached Files

PETE posted this 30 March 2008

Norm,

Ok. Gotcha! Looked from the pictures that you lubed the bullet and then patched over the top.

But would still like to know what kind of accuracy you're getting this way, and do the patches leave the bullet at the muzzle?

PETE

Attached Files

NORMSUTTON posted this 30 March 2008

PETE  the patches I far as I know stay on the bullet tell it hits something,   the rifle I'm shooting this in is a very old Remington Keen it has very little lands left in it , I can hit a can with it at 100 yards or come close this is no match rifle    

Attached Files

NORMSUTTON posted this 12 May 2008

PETE   shot my Rem. Keen this  last Sunday , the paper patch is coming off about 5 to 10 ft, at 50 yards I'm getting 1 to 1 1/2 in groups , I using  48 grns of H4895    here are two pp bullets that have been sized and lubed

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 13 May 2008

Has any one else tried Teflon tape on their bullets instead of paper? I've had pretty good luck with an NEI pointed 405 grain bullet that I patch with Teflon tape. The kind the plumbers use on pipe threads.

Attached Files

PETE posted this 13 May 2008

Norm,

That's good if the patches leave the bullet about 10 ft. from the muzzle. That means there more than likely being stripped off at the muzzle.

I kinda like the way your bullets are lubing up. For me one of the things about PP'ing is the erosive nature of any kind of paper you'd use. With some lube like your bullets show I wonder if this would be a better way to go. Might have to look into it.

As for the accuracy you're getting with the Keen I don't know what the potential is for that make. If the rifle is in excellent shape and the sights are up to it you might be able to do a little better, but I think you're probably doing ok.

You got any idea what kind of MV you're getting?

PETE

Attached Files

NORMSUTTON posted this 14 May 2008

PETE  the Remington KEEN  I believe  is the first bolt  action rifle Remington ever built , the rifling is pretty shallow in it, that's another reason for the hollow base bullet,and the barrel is pretty worn.   fps  should be around 1600 to 1650  buy the loading manual . I agree with you on the erosive nature of paper . I took a lyman sizing die  and counter sunk the opening of the die so I could put the pp bullet in the sizing die without tarring the paper when I lube and size the bullet . any way I very happy with the results     NORM

Attached Files

survivalist posted this 20 June 2009

Norn, I'm not trying to hijack your post but was wondering if a paper patched boolit would help polish a dark bore? I have a couple of milsurps with not pitted but dark bores and was wondering how to maybe polish them out a little without ruining them.

survivalist

Attached Files

NORMSUTTON posted this 21 June 2009

survivalist   I would think so, sure wouldn't hurt   NORM 

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 28 June 2009

Paper patching should really shine up a dark bore if you smear a little JB bore cleaner on the patched bullet before loading.  In fact I have read ( on the Boolit Forum I believe) as this method being a way to tell if you need to go to a thicker paper.  If the JB'd bullets shoot better the bullet needs to be .001 of .002 larger when finished.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Close