New 22 mould

• 8K Views
  • Last Post 15 June 2008
KenK posted this 27 February 2008

I've been wanting a plain base 22 mould and now I have one from NEI.  Anybody want to hazard a guess on how it might shoot out of my 218 Bee?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
linoww posted this 27 February 2008

KenK wrote: I've been wanting a plain base 22 mould and now I have one from NEI.  Anybody want to hazard a guess on how it might shoot out of my 218 Bee?

I shoot the lyman 225438 as a plainbase at 50 yds out of a 22-250 with 4.5 of Win Super Target.It usually shoots 3/4"-1” for 5 shots.At 100 it's “beer can” accurate,thats it.I had a Lyman 22536 PB(60g) I also used and it shot about the same.But its all I want out for a"by the cabin load” for rodent and lizzard erradication.

What is the weight of your NEI bullet?And what 218 Bee rifle are you using, what is the rate of twist?.The bullets looks rather long for a 1-14 twist rifle at low velocity.

I can never guess how a .22 bullet will do.My RCBS 55Sp cast a most beautiful bullet but refuses to shoot as well as I think it should.My 55FN RCBS is ugly,but shoots quite well.

Keep us posted.

Geo.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

KenK posted this 27 February 2008

It is a Ruger No. 1 with a 1-14 twist.  I also have tried the Lyman 225438 without gas checks and get about the same accuracy you describe though it groups less than 1/2” at 50 yards often enough to make it interesting.

This NEI mould is throwing a 51 grain bullet with my WW and tin alloy and is about .560 long, .050 longer than my 225438.

I've got five loaded up with 5.5 grains of 2400, hopefully I can get home early enough tommorow to at least find out if they keyhole or not.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 27 February 2008

KenK wrote: I've got five loaded up with 5.5 grains of 2400, hopefully I can get home early enough tommorow to at least find out if they keyhole or not.

Sounds like a good load.I use 13.5 2400 in the 22-250 with 45-62 g bullets and its very accurate.My 22-250's are Savages with 1-12 twist and i like that rate for the heavier bullets.Although my longest bullet is .724".

George

Attached Files

KenK posted this 01 March 2008

Well, with this combination of rifle/alloy/mould; it looks like 1 to 1.25” ten shot groups at 50 yards is about as good as it's going to get. 

My next step may be trying a harder alloy, either heat treated wheel weights or some of my small supply of type metal.

I'm not sure exactly what the type metal is but it's hard.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 03 March 2008

KenK wrote: Well, with this combination of rifle/alloy/mould; it looks like 1 to 1.25” ten shot groups at 50 yards is about as good as it's going to get. 

My next step may be trying a harder alloy, either heat treated wheel weights or some of my small supply of type metal.

I'm not sure exactly what the type metal is but it's hard.

Not too bad considering it doesnt cost you a GC ea shot!!.

I took out my Stevens 200 22-250 to get ready for squirrels yesterday.My Eagan 62g bullet shot 7/8” for the first group and 1-1/8” for the second.(all 5shots @ 100)For such a cheap-o gun it sure is consistant.I then shot the RCBS 55 Sp that never seem to shoots well and it shot two 1-3/8” groups.Thats better than usual and I have to give them another chance.

Good luck on your PB 22 experiments.I tried it and never could get 100 yd grouping as good as I would have liked.I had hoped to get accuracy on par with decent 22 R.F.ammo,but couldnt.

George

Attached Files

KenK posted this 03 March 2008

I hope do to better but I figure it is acceptable if I can't.

If I ever decide to throw money at the problem I would like to get a rifle chambered in .22 Squirrel.

What sizing diameters did you try with your PB bullets? 

The only thing I could readily get was a .224.  My mould is dropping bullets about .2255.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 04 March 2008

What sizing diameters did you try with your PB bullets? 

I left them as cast and tumble lubed them in Lee Alox.They were a bit over 225 from the mold.

George

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 March 2008

KenK wrote: ...If I ever decide to throw money at the problem I would like to get a rifle chambered in .22 Squirrel... Ken,

Cute name, please describe the wildcat~!  Is it a shortened Hornet or what?

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

KenK posted this 13 March 2008

It is, more or less, a 1” long K-Hornet.  I believe Cooper chambered some rifles for it and I have read discussions on the matter at Saubier.com

Attached Files

roadie posted this 13 March 2008

The .22 Squirrel sounds like one I built some years ago, tho the Hornet case was trimmed to .925, the reason I don't recall. It was used in a Brno .22 rimfire, it made for a very trim, light boy's rifle. Velocities are kept to roughly a .22 Mag range.

The Brno actions are made of very good stuff, the only thing I did'nt like was the fact that they lock up on the rear. I wish I had gotten many more of them.

Case capacity is small, variations of 1/10th make a huge difference.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

roadie

Attached Files

KenK posted this 30 April 2008

Here is an update on this bullet.  I'm finally getting somewhat better but certainly not great results.  Out of several alloys, lubes and powders.  25-1 lead tin, LBT lube and a lightly crimped bullet are working best.  Both of these targets are ten shots at 50 yards.  The one on the right is right at 1".  Sure wish I could eliminate those fliers, probably the nut behind the bolt.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 24 May 2008

My plain base .22 shooting is not going as well as hoped but I have got reasonably good results, I think. 

Ruger No. 1 in .218 Bee.  52 grain NEI bullet, LBT lube, 5.2 grains 2400.  I finally chronographed some of these loads and they clock right at 1,400 fps.  This is about twice the foot pounds of energy that a standard velocity .22 LR has.  At a little better than 1,300 loads per pound of powder and no gas check, they are certainly economical to shoot.

My best 10 shot groups at 50 yards are running .900-.950. 

Attached Files

linoww posted this 28 May 2008

KenK wrote: My plain base .22 shooting is not going as well as hoped but I have got reasonably good results, I think.  

My best 10 shot groups at 50 yards are running .900-.950.  

Thats about what i get in my 22-250's with the 225438 (44g) with 4.5 of WST without a GC. Really not a bad load and as you say a bit more power than 22 LR loads.It seems I lose one wide to 1.5” at 50 occasionally but they hold roughly 3” at 100 in calm weather.Kind of the accuracy you expect in a cheap .22 with bulk packed 22 ammo.But hey, I get to reload the cases<G>

I do like to look of your bullet,I wish I had a blunt nosed PB 22 to shoot local varmints,but haven't decided how much money I want to invest in the “experiment"

I have been shooting 10 shot groups at 200 with GC 22 loads @ 2100 fps lately.It's pretty common to shoot 6-8 shots into 2"-2-1/2” and end up with 10 into 4"-5" in moderate wind.(see attached group) Talk about frustration and fun all at once!!!I sure do get spoiled not having to refill the pot for a week or two with as little metal as the little guys take.

George

Attached Files

linoww posted this 06 June 2008

Here are the two groups I shot with some samples KenK sent me of his new mold.The load was 4.5 of Winchester Super Target(WST) with a CCI 200.Bullets were sized in a .225 die with Jakes 50/50 NRA lube.Gun was my oft mentioned 22-250 Stevens 200.Both groups shown are 10 shot groups at 50 yards.When i received the bullets I measures them and felt the small .217 nose would work better if it was larger.With the long under size nose and short body i never expected any accuracy.In a sense it is more of a"baseband"I bumped some up in my Eagan die to help it engrave in the rifle's throat.The others i loaded just sized and lubed in the .225 dies as is.

Range session was a surprise.What i thought i knew about bullet fit didn't pan out.His unbumped bullet put 10 into 9/16” with the first 5 under 1/2".My molested bullets scattered to over 2".

I am impressed by that little bullet and would think of owning one.

Its nice being wrong sometimes<G>

George  

Attached Files

KenK posted this 06 June 2008

What would you estimate your velocity at?

What do the two notes in parentheses at the bottom of your target mean?

Attached Files

linoww posted this 09 June 2008

KenK wrote:

What would you estimate your velocity at?

My 225462(58g) out of a 24” barrel was going 1250 fps with the same load.i would guess it to be about the same.

What do the two notes in parentheses at the bottom of your target mean?

I didn't use fillers such as Kapok tufts or tip the muzzle to orient powder against primer.I occasionally do so i note it on my targets.WST powder seems pretty foregiving to orientation in big cases.

What mold # is your bullet? Is it just a shortened standard one or you custom design?I will re shoot it again this week and report back.

What do i owe you for the bullets??

George

Attached Files

KenK posted this 09 June 2008

Ah, the notes make sense now.

The bullet is the NEI 224-54-GC #3 and I asked that it be cut without the gas check shank.

Not a penny for the bullets, I got my money's worth from your feedback.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 11 June 2008

I hope to re shoot tomarrow.Lets see how lucky I can get.They are 22's afterall.

George

Attached Files

KenK posted this 15 June 2008

I had put this away to concentrate on the Ranch Dog match but decided to try one more thing.   The 2400 has performed better than the faster powders but I decided to follow George's lead and go real fast.

2.9 grains of Bullseye.  I started with a clean barrel and shot two foulers.  Should have shot three.  The ten shot group is 1.050 but numbers 2-10 went into .675.

Attached Files

Close