Another new baby 336 in 30/30

• 4.3K Views
  • Last Post 08 March 2008
CB posted this 07 March 2008

The serial number says it was made in 1988, it has a little wear here and there, but more than 90% of the orginal finish intact.

If the weather would get better, I would go out and shoot it, it's snowing, raining, haling and sleeting all at once. On Saturday, we will probably have 4 to 8 inchs of snow.

Jerry

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
6pt-sika posted this 07 March 2008

Congrats Jerry ;)

Now you need to get one of the Ranch Dog 311-165 GC moulds when they become available in the next few weeks .

I believe he will have them in stock in the next six weeks in both 2 and 6 cavity moulds .

I already have a copy of the 2 cavity and it has worked fine for me in a pair of ballard rifled Marlin's and a micro grooved Marlin !!!!

This was the “only” bullet I shot in lever action big bore silhouette last season !

Attached Files

6Pt,

Thanks, I thought this would be a good investment in my shooting and hunting.

I will drop a line to RD about the mold.

Again Thanks,

Jerry

Attached Files

Jerry , let me offer some advice .

I never owned a Marlin before 2000 , I always thought they were not on par with Winchester . And then when the 450 Marlin came out and I bought my first I saw the light .

I used to collect old old Winchester 92's and 94's . At present I own one old 1905 vintage Winchester 1894TD in 30-30 and about 75 Marlin's :shock:

They ARE VERY contagiouse .>

Oh since you have the 30-30 and the 35 , now ya NEED a 32 Special :cool:

Attached Files

6Pt,

I was think of what the next one be in. Most of my bolt guns are Winchesters and Remingtons, I had a Savage 99 in 308 and it was O.K. but not great. The 1895 I bought took out a coyote at a distance with no trouble, so I am hooked. :D

Thank you for the old sage advice :dude:

Jerry

Attached Files

miestro_jerry wrote: 6Pt, Thank you for the old sage advice :dude:

Jerry I hope I'm not OLD yet hahahahahaha I'll only be 47 in july .>

Attached Files

Jerry , I replied to your post on castboolits with a rather good sized list of suitable 30-30 cast moulds ;)

Attached Files

miestro_jerry wrote: 6Pt,

Most of my bolt guns are Winchesters and Remingtons. :D

Jerry

In the bolt action thing I started with Remington's and then went to Kimber 89's and pre 64 model 70's . I got tired of them and went to stainless 700's and model 7's .

Now I have a mixture of Remington , Winchester , Ruger and Interarms Mark X's .

Here lately it is more about the cartridge and less about the gun itself , well accept with the Marlin's .>

Attached Files

6PT,

I have a mix of semi auto rifles, M1As, Mini 30, AR 15 HBAR NM. But because I do some big game hunting now and then, I picked up 300 Remington Ultra Mag built on a 700c actions. One of my favorite plinkers is a Spanish FR8, a 308 built on a Mauser 98 bolt action. I even have the bayonet, just in case the terrorist ground hogs get too close. :D

But the Marlin Level guns are a really practical bush rifle for my property in Ohio and West Viginia.  I was thinking of the 444 cartridge for the next rifle I buy.  Any advice on that cartridge?

Thanks,

Jerry

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 08 March 2008

miestro_jerry wrote: 6PT,

I was thinking of the 444 cartridge for the next rifle I buy.  Any advice on that cartridge?

Thanks,

Jerry

Well lets see my first 444 was the no longer made 444P which is just like the 1895G . It's an easy carry rifle and I like it . My second 444 was the 444XLR and I like that one okay . Next I purchased a 444 standerd and thats a great feeling rifle . I also have a pair of the first model straight grip monte carlo stocked 24” barreled 444's and a second model 22” barreled 444 , all three of these were made before 1972 .

And last but not least I bought an H&R Handi Rifle last year in 444 also . So at the moment I own 7 rifles in 444 marlin .

For treestand and drive hunting I would go with the short barreled 444P I think . However there is a lot to be said for the early long barreled first models !

This is also a First Model 444 , but it has a square lever and was made in the last year of production 1971.

Here's the H&R Handi Rifle that is 444 Marlin . I've not shot this one much so far !

My 444P is the one next to the bottom !

I still own all these 444's and have no intention of getting rid of any !

But if I were held to one and was going to use it quite a bit I would most likely go with the 444 standerd witht he 444P bringing up a close second !

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 March 2008

WOW! Nice rifles, now I will have to go out and buy one.

Jerry

Attached Files

miestro_jerry wrote: WOW! Nice rifles, now I will have to go out and buy one.

Jerry

You should be able to find a nice used First or Second model for $400 or less in 90% .

The 444P can probably be found for about $450 in 95% .

The new XLR will set you back about $650 now and the standerd 444 will most likely be about $500-550 NIB .

Attached Files

Jerry something else to think about !

The Ranch Dog makes a pair of moulds just perfect for the 444 Marlin . One is a 265 grainer and the other is a 300 grainer !

Attached Files

Close