2020 Groundhog Postal Match - UPDATE

• Last Post 16 December 2020
Bohica793 posted this 11 August 2020

The final set of targets went out this morning.  I finally stumbled across the box I packed the targets in when I moved and was able to get these out.  My apologies to those who were waiting.

In light of the continuing madness regarding the current flu strain, I am changing the requirements for submitting targets.  

Targets will no longer need to be mailed!  Post your target in this thread with your load and firearm information.  All results will be determined from this thread alone!

I was probably far too ambitious when I started this match and have had to adjust along the way but I will say that I plan to host this match again in 2021.  Happy shooting.

(For those who have already submitted targets, I will post these for you prior to the deadline.)

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bill2728
  • Glaciers
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
blackout52 posted this 12 August 2020

I am looking forward to see how I match up to this mix of other shooters. I shot handgun silhouette for a couple of years. And  I think the competition can make you a better shooter!  How many of you will be shooting more than one gun? 

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 12 August 2020

I am looking forward to see how I match up to this mix of other shooters. I shot handgun silhouette for a couple of years. And  I think the competition can make you a better shooter!  How many of you will be shooting more than one gun? 

Hi,

I'll be shooting at least five or six different guns at this. Of that, at least two, maybe three pistols.

Ed

Growing old is mandatory, growing up, however, is totally optional!

Attached Files

blackout52 posted this 12 August 2020

Sounds good Ed, I will be shooting at least two guns and one will be a handgun.

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 12 August 2020

Tom Acheson throws up an 84.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 12 August 2020

Posted mine on Monday.  You should see them about 2025.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 13 August 2020

Posted mine on Monday.  You should see them about 2025. 

Can't mules swim faster than that?

Attached Files

Glaciers posted this 13 August 2020

Well I'm going to use a couple of rifles, a 303 Savage and a 38-55 High Wall.  Would like to use 30-40 model 95 with the Lyman 21 site, and a 03 Springfield 30-06 with a receiver site.

Not sure I can complete this year because of life still getting in the way.  Might be able to enter two if I come up with time.  Lots going on.  Projects and winter is coming fast.  Leaves are just starting to change.

Next year for sure.  I would like to request that the deadline for a "normal" year be moved to mid June as winter doesn't release this northern country until early May.  

John

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 30 August 2020

Hi all!

I got a chance to shoot my first target today, and did pretty well. I'm not sure the protocol with posting results, so I'll post what I think is appropriate and if the Match Director wants more/different, I'll comply. I put a dark background behind target to highlight bullet holes.

Ed

Target

Data sheet

Rifle

Cartridge

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 31 August 2020

Your post exceeds expectations as does your score of 99/100.  Well done!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 31 August 2020

" great ! ... when this groundhog shoot was first kicked around a few years ago ... it was about having a match just for 30-06 ... thinking to give that fine old cartridge something to do because it is kind of an orphan ...  it doesn't have " Creedmore " or " Magnum " after it's name.

... and then it became apparent that there were a lot more orphans sitting forlorn in closets around the world ... geepers we couldn't turn down their pleas to be included in the party ...

great to see the variety of guns being used ...  i am down to 3 of 1960's 30-06 but throw in an old 722 300 savage and a modern 308 just to give them some exercise .. i swear they give me a big grin after a trip to the plinking grounds..  i even break out my old Herters dies and use my Herters #3 press just for nostalgia ...   i would be using SR#80 powder except i am down to just about a tablespoon left ....  

ken 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Glaciers
beltfed posted this 03 October 2020

Again, Please, what is the deadline date?

Tx

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 04 October 2020

Hi all!

Gorgeous day in Memphis, TN, so I took the opportunity to go out and shoot three more targets. I didn't do as well this time from a scoring perspective, but had a lot of fun and really enjoyed the sunshine and cooler weather. These are targets 2 - 4.

Ed

ETA: I crossed the optics on the Contender. The .45 Colt has a scope, the .30 Herrett has the Red Dot.

Savage 99 and TC G2 Contender

.45 Colt Target

Colt .45 Data Sheet

M99 Target

M99 Data Sheet

TC G2 .30 Herrett

.30 Herrett Data Sheet

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 05 October 2020

Hi Arnie,

I believe Bohica pushed it out to December 15th.

Ed

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 05 October 2020

Thank you,Ed.

I did recall that Bohica extended it into the fall. Dec 15, 

Just realized that I must get going to shoot and post the targets I received before

it gets too darn cold up here in WI

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 05 October 2020

Yes the deadline is December 15.  I have been completely swamped between wife's hospital stays and hurricane cleanup.  Life is slowly getting back to normal but still a lot of work to do.

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 05 October 2020

Bohica,

Thank you

Sorry to hear of your wife's health issues. May the Good Lord bless her and you with recovery

And I pray that you get through the Hurricane cleanup OK

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

4060may posted this 12 November 2020

GH 2020Finally, shot the first one in May, took all summer to finish

The M/N 91/30 was a disappointment, new MOJO sights, the rear Aperture was too large giving me a lot of vertical, never shot plain base in it before either

I was really impressed with the 1876 Vetterli, unbelievable how well it shoots, slugged balls are almost square when measured, lands and grooves are the same width, most of the newer Vetterli's are .432 groove, mine slugs at ,440+ , brass is made from 8mm Lebel..

This is aa relly tough target to shoot with iron sights and old eyes

Chuck

Attached Files

Attached Files

Ahhhh, another Thusday

Will not let me post pictures

Chuck

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 12 November 2020

Ahhhh, another Thusday

Will not let me post pictures

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I don't think it's you. I can't see any pictures either, to include the ones I had posted. I think there might be something wrong with the site. Funny thing is I could see your target in the email notification, but not here in the forum. Good shooting!

Ed

Ed

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close