I am a Magnet

• 3.2K Views
  • Last Post 05 April 2008
6pt-sika posted this 23 March 2008

I swear sometimes I think I am a magnet and draw certain guns to me .

Earlier saturday I happened to find myself on the phone talking with a fellow in Maine about a circa 1908 Marlin Model 1893 in 32 HPS (32 Special) . Nice enough rifle with 26” half round and half octagon barrel . Also has 1/2 mag . Anyway it seems to be coming my way in the semi near future :shock:

After getting off the phone with him and setting everything up I needed to go into the local gun shop and see if I could find some loose OO Buckshot for loading .

Walk in the door and ask . And I get the old standby “NO but I have ....” and he reached around the corner and pulled out a Marlin 336D that was like new except for 2 small nicks in the stock !

Now bear in mind I already have one of these I bought new in 2002 or 2003 . And for those not familiar with the 336D it is a 35 REM version of the Marlin 1895G Guide Gun . And I proceeded to tell him I already had one . He said I know you do and here is what I want for it !

Then it struck me I could have one 336D for jacketed bullets and this new one for cast bullets .>

Now you know everyone needs two of the same rifle so they can use one strictly for cast and the other for jacketed . Heck I'd already done it with Marlin's in 375 WIN and 356 WIN so why not a pair of 35 REM's and besides there were only 1001 of these made !

Yeah like I really needed to talk myself into it ;)

So as you may have surmised I am like a magnet for these things :lovecast:

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
giorgio de galleani posted this 23 March 2008

Marlin lever guns do be a contageous illness when you get bitten by the bug you cannot stop enjoying them.

Attached Files

Mnshooter posted this 25 March 2008

I have the same weakness for 16 gauge doubles.  Now have 4 of them and dread going to gun shows etc where I might see another.  Actually traded one off and kind of miss it, which is ridiculous as it wasn't all that special and I have others that I like to carry better.  Giorgio is a physician and yet has never made any recommendations for a cure, must be terminal.

Mnshooter

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 25 March 2008

Mnshooter wrote: I have the same weakness for 16 gauge doubles.  Now have 4 of them and dread going to gun shows etc where I might see another.  Actually traded one off and kind of miss it, which is ridiculous as it wasn't all that special and I have others that I like to carry better.  Giorgio is a physician and yet has never made any recommendations for a cure, must be terminal.

Mnshooter

Back when I was a competitive skeet and trap shooter I was also into bird hunting and bird dogs (english setters to be exact).

And I to had a thing for the 16 gauge . Had a pair of Parkers (Trogan and VH) ,two Browning Citori's (Upland Special 24” and Lighting 28"), a Model 12 and a really old Browning Auto 5 . Now the only 16 I have is a nice old damascus Parker GH !

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 26 March 2008

Here's a chunk of metal that my magnet drew !

This is the Marlin 1893 of 1908 vintage in 32 HPS !

Attached Files

Mnshooter posted this 27 March 2008

That's a very nice Marlin.  They don't make them like that anymore.  Never could see the fascination with Winchester's and their higher prices when the Marlin was always a little smoother to use.  Sometimes I have to check my Marlin CB to see if it rally chambered a round.  I doubt if that rifle will ever go down in value. 

Mnshooter  

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 27 March 2008

Always thought it was kinda funny .

When these guns were new Marlin's were the more expensive rifle ! And hence there were fewer made !

Now when a person collects these old guys the Winchesters bring more even though they made more !

But then I suppose that sorta plays into my hand ;)

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 01 April 2008

I have about decided to turn down the 32 HPS !

Nothing wrong with the rifle , I just think I need to curb my gun buying a little !

:(

Attached Files

Scott Merchant posted this 01 April 2008

6pt-sika

I don't know, pretty nice one to pass on.

Scott

Attached Files

44 Flattop posted this 01 April 2008

6pt-sika wrote: Then it struck me I could have one 336D for jacketed bullets and this new one for cast bullets .>

Now you know everyone needs two of the same rifle so they can use one strictly for cast and the other for jacketed .

Heh heh heh!  That is exactly what I did with a couple Marlin CB's in .44!  One has seen nothing but jacketed the other about 6,800 cast, so far. 

I had the same idea with a couple '86's in 45-70.  But when I got the second I just didn't have the heart to foul the bore with that dirty jacketed material:wnk::hunt:

Attached Files

Mnshooter posted this 05 April 2008

I have tried curbing my gun buying.  Think they need a GBA (gun buyers anonymous).  The problem is that there are so many guns and so little time.  Who knows when the “ONE” will show up that will makes us stop our wandering ways and settle down.  We just have to find her.  Notice guns are named after women, can't live with em, really can't live without them. 

MNshooter

Attached Files

Close