Red Stag with 38/303

• 7.2K Views
  • Last Post 24 August 2008
Euan posted this 31 March 2008

Heres a picture of a Red Stag shot by my son last Roar.  Alec shot it at approx 150 yards with my win 85 Hi Wall 38/303. The bullet was a CBE 375-300GC Flat nose. the load is 37 grains ADI 2206 for 1940 fps out of the Hi Wall's 30” barrel.

The shot was side on thru the near shoulder blade & 1 rib then breakng 2 ribs and exiting just behind the far shoulder with a 1 and half inche hole. At the shot he staggered 3 paces and dropped. then stag never moved. It was typical preformace that I have had these loads in the 2 38/303s that hunt with.  The bullet was cast from wheel weights.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Scott Merchant posted this 31 March 2008

Euan

Congratulation's to your son, nice Stag. I have always had good luck with hunting bullets with flat noses like yours. The velocity of 1940fps really puts a hammer on things. I am not surprised at the near instant kill or the wound Chanel damage it done. Your load had all the right things going for it 1. bullet weight and diameter 2.flat nose 3. velocity 4. metal alloy matched to the velocity. I also find your chambering interesting, if you get a chance take a picture of it and post it.

Scott

Attached Files

44 Flattop posted this 31 March 2008

Awesome!  :dude:

Congradulations to your son B)

I absolutely love to do my hunting with cast, and have for close to 40 years now :shock:

While I have never heard of that bullet or caliber, which I assume is a wildcat (?), I have taken a few bull elk with a 38-55 and a 280gr cast from an RCBS mould using 3 parts WW's and 1 part pure lead.  Bullets were sized .378 and velocity was about 1600fps. 

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 31 March 2008

I used a 375 H&H at 1600 and was thinking to use a bit more speed.

I'll follow your track,congratulations.

Attached Files

Scott,

I did not realise that nearly 30 years ago we reinvented the 38-50 remington, when we took the 303 brit case (of which there were millions here in New Zealand) and expand the neck to 375 to use cast bullets as a game hunting round, to rebarrel my 1895 winchester that had a shot barrel. Chambered it with the 303 brit reamer and used a 375 neck & throater.

I hope the attachment works.   “38/303 bullets and loaded rounds."

starting on left;CBE 375-300 GC, ww weight 305 grains. 2nd: CBE 375-265 PB  plain soft lead sized to 369 then paper patched, weight 275grains. 3rd: Lyman 375 449GC ww weight 285 grains. 4th: CBE .369 ajustable paper patch, scrap lead, weight 275 grains. This bullet has been waterproofed with bees wax and dusted with grafite. These are xtremly good killers on feral goats and pigs.

cheers Euan.

Attached Files

CB posted this 31 March 2008

Thanks for the photos Euan, that is really neat.  :)   Has anyone there ever went on up to a .40-303?

I've used my paper patched cb dry. What does the bees wax and graphite do for paper patching?..................Dan

Attached Files

Dan,

I have always wanted to do a 40 cal on 303 case, but have never got around to it. Should be an excellent case for 40 and great cast game round. Would be a slighter shorter version of the 405 winchester, but easy brass to aquire.

The bees wax is just to give the paperpatch some weather protection. it can get very wet down here at times. I double pan melt bees wax dunk the patched projectiles with a wire mesh tray, lift out then roll them on a paper towel to soak up excess wax. the when cool roll in a little garphite. I think the graphite lubes for easier entry into throat etc.

Cheers Euan.

Attached Files

44 Flattop posted this 31 March 2008

Holy moly, that is a good looking round!  Something I've never been around.  Glad to see something like that.

Attached Files

CB posted this 01 April 2008

Thanks a lot for the info Euan. I have a very pitted bore :X  and it shreds the paper patch. I'm going to try the bees wax treatment and try one more time to get the old round shooting...............Dan

Attached Files

Scott Merchant posted this 01 April 2008

Dan

The 40 your looking for is a 40/60 Maynard, It uses the 30/40 Krag case blown out pretty much strait. I have the reamer, Doc has a rolling block chambered for it but have not fitted the wood yet.

Euan

I think I should order the 38/50 Remington reamer. I have a couple Enfield actions  that would work or maybe a Krag action. A New project just what I need o well. I think it would look neat stocked like a early dangerous game rifle, complete with three leaf sight.

Scott

Attached Files

Euan posted this 01 April 2008

Dan,

I would like to here about Doc's roller in 40/60 maynard when he gets her going. I have a spare swedish roller in the shed, was going to use a 375 barrel 30” long I have. But needs to be turned down Quite a bit. But I already Have a rolling block with a No 3 contour 26” long chambered to 38/56 winchester, that I have nearly finished the wood on. I have shot it a lot with the old wood, and it goes real well, is easy to carry in the hand. She “Helga” has accounted for her fair share of game. Yesterday I just fitted her with a marbles glow “Hi Viz” for sight, because her owner is over 50 and can't see them like used to.

Your idea of the dangerous sporter would be great.

Cheers Euan.

Attached Files

LoLo25643 posted this 01 April 2008

Great thread and great use of the 303 cases. Thanks for posting.

Attached Files

Euan posted this 01 April 2008

Giday Guys,

I made a little typo. The :CBE 375-300 GC: should be  CBE 376-300GC. They are different molds.

Cheers Euan.

Attached Files

Scott Merchant posted this 01 April 2008

Euan

Will keep you informed about Doc's 40/60. Steve Garbe won at least 2 BPCR nationals  with a 40/60. On the Doc's rifle it has a 1 in 16 twist for up to a 400 grain bullet, also I hope it will shoot down to a 300 grain bullet well for hunting Whitetails. I have a couple of the Swedish Rolling Blocks bought them with out breach blocks, but have fitted them with new ones. The 38/56 is a great round especially for hunting with good knock down power, had one once in a 1886 Winchester. The Marbles fiber optic sights are some of the best, I use them on a lot of my hunting rifles. Scott

Attached Files

Antietamgw posted this 24 April 2008

Scott Merchant wrote: Dan

The 40 your looking for is a 40/60 Maynard, It uses the 30/40 Krag case blown out pretty much strait. I have the reamer, Doc has a rolling block chambered for it but have not fitted the wood yet.

Euan

I think I should order the 38/50 Remington reamer. I have a couple Enfield actions  that would work or maybe a Krag action. A New project just what I need o well. I think it would look neat stocked like a early dangerous game rifle, complete with three leaf sight.

Scott

Now there's an idea I didn't need to hear. What else do you do with a spare Krag action? I already have a Krag sporter I reworked as a kid and an extra Krag action has been on the wall waiting for something like this. Maybe I'll expand some brass, seat some bullets and see if it will feed...

Keep your plowshare and your sword. Know how and when to use them.

Attached Files

4060may posted this 25 April 2008

I have two guns chambered for 38-50 Rem. a CPA and a Hepburn. both used as BPCR rifles. I Started uout with a 40-60 Maynard on Swede, with a 1-16 Douglas barrel.

This is a picture of the rifle with the 40-60 barrel on it and a paper patch mold my friend and I made, the load is 60grs 2F Goex, .060 PVC wad. I wipe between shots with WSO/Water, no lube on the patch.

Haven't shot this combo in a match yet, but have been maintaining my AAA rating in BPCR.  Actually had to go to a scope this year.  The scope on the rifle is not NRA legal for BPCR, use it in ASSRA matches

Attached Files

4060may posted this 25 April 2008

Picture of the rifle

Attached Files

Euan posted this 30 May 2008

I like the look of the 40/60 Maynard. It would make a great cast bullet hunting round. Be easier on the body than 45 cal, but more diameter than the 38cal. The 40 would be a good compromise for bigger soft skined game.

What is the groove diameter of the 40/60?  I can see that I may have to get a reamer and get a barrel.

Cheers Euan.

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 11 June 2008

Euan (and others here),

I read a bit of history on your '38-303' once and if I remember correctly it was first made by the Brits' 100 odd years ago. They were reboring shot out Lee-Metfords and Martini-Metfords to what they called the (.375 x 21/4” light nitro), a poor mans big game rifle. It was quite popular with troops sent to India and other colonies.

It was and still is a very efective round.

Attached Files

4060may posted this 11 June 2008

My 40-60 Maynard 1882,  has a Badger Barrel, 1-16 twist, .400 x .408, bore and groove

The case length is 2.21 as the original, using 30-40 Krag brass.

If you use .303 Brit brass you shouldn't have to trim much, just square the mouth.

I went with the Krag brass because the rim is tapered allowing the block to help seat the cartridge.

I made the reamer from a straight .500 reamer, and cut the rim with a lathe.

The CPA 44 1/2 in the picture was chambered by CPA, I have built 4 Rolling blocks with the 40-60 Chambering, for myself and a few friends.

I started shooting BPCR with one of the RB in 1991, did well with it, but I like the DST  on the CPA better than the SST on the RB.

HTH

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 24 August 2008

4060may wrote: The CPA 44 1/2 in the picture was chambered by CPA.

I like the DST  on the CPA better than the SST on the RB.

HTH

HTH , are you pretty happy with the quality of the CPA ?

I have wanted one of them for a number of years in 32-40 set up for Schuetzen .

Attached Files

4060may posted this 24 August 2008

Love'm  I shoot BPCR mostly, the Rifle I use is chambered 40-60 Maynard, 38-50 Remington, and 22lr.

I also have a brand new one in 32-40 for sale

A PM went your way

Chuck

Attached Files

Close