From New Zealand

• 2.2K Views
  • Last Post 27 May 2008
Chris T posted this 11 April 2008

Hi, I have recently purchased a Ruger 77/22 Hornet, for which I am hoping to cast bullets for varminting. Here in new Zealand it is not easy to find infromation other than on the internet.

Any help tips or guidance would be greatly apreciated. many thanks Chris tha Kiwi

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
BruceV posted this 11 April 2008

Cool!  Keep your eyes on this site and you'll find loads of information.  What's more you'll probably end up getting all kinds of ideas for future projects.  Sincerely.  Bruce.

Attached Files

CB posted this 11 April 2008

Welcome Chris. Good to hear from another one of you NZlanders.

You are in luck. The last issue if The Fouling Shot Journal bi-monthly publication of the CBA just had an article about a 22 Hornet in a Ruger 77/22. The member Mark Gognan describes what he tried and used. He ended up liking the 225415 with 3gr of PB for 1,435fps or 2gr. of 700X for 1,140fps or 7gr of IMR4227 for 1,702fps. With the NEI 5524 he used 2gr. of 700X for 1,155fps or 6gr of 2400. Groups were in the 3/4” range. Hope this helps......................Dan

Attached Files

Hi, Brillant! Sadly I have not seen those powders in NZ for many years.  :( However I should be able to find some Ar that match the burning rate. Many thanks to you for taking the effort to reply Cheers Chris

Attached Files

Hi Many thans for your reply and encouragement.

I will look up the article Cheers chris

Attached Files

CB posted this 11 April 2008

Sorry Chris, didn't mean to throw a curve ball about the powders. I don't know what's available in NZ. The PB and 700X are fast powders for shotgun and light/medium pistol charges. Most cb shooters don't use these fast of powders in the larger rifle calibers, but Mark seemed to have good luck in the 22 Hornet with them and it sounds and stands to reason well for the small case. Hope you find something similar to work for you...........Dan

Attached Files

Chris T posted this 12 April 2008

Hi Dan We are kinda used to curved balls in the antipodeas. :)

Some years back now I did land a powder comparison chart which listed powders from around the world by there burning rate, so I should be able to finds something that matches the rate of hi-skor and pb.

I still have  80z's of imr 4227 left which is a very nioce powder in the hornet.  Maybe too fast for a cast bullet though.

will have to try some and see if comes ina bout the right preasures.

Would like to contact Pact to get one of their chronographs, but they don't list an email on their website. The problems of living at the bottom of the world.  ;-)

Cheers Chris T

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 12 April 2008

For cronographs and much more reloading items I shop  from http://www.midsouthshooterssupply>WWW.midsouthshooterssupply co .they shp to all  free world,except powder and loaded ammo.

There is a nice powder comparation chart in Vihtavuori online loading manual and in Lee's loading manual.

I live in Italy,at your antipodes.

Regards,Giorgio

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 April 2008

I always shoot full loads in my Hornet. I was always going to work up a load with the 225415 about 22lr/22mag velocity for squirrel hunting, but I calculated rimfire ammo would still be cheaper back then, 15 years ago. Now the price of rimfire has gone up so much, it might cost less to shoot a reduced Hornet load.

It seems quite a few shooters like 4227 for reduced 30 caliber loads, so it ought to work reduced in the Hornet, say 2 or 3grs. instead of the full load of 12gr. A chronograph is great for cb shooting. The conditions vary so much between each shooter's gun, alloy and components that it lets you actually know where you are at with your load instead of guessing. They're a great tool! Like Giorgio speaks of, I just placed an order with MidSouth Shooters Supply myself, they are a great order catalog to deal with...................Dan

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 12 April 2008

Hi Chris T:

If you have some IMR 4227, you might find that this powder is all you need. I bought a Ruger 77/22 shortly after they first became available and had it re-barreled with a heavy tube and chambered for the .22 K hornet. Although it's a little different that yours, with IMR 4227 and jacketed, it will put ten shots in nearly the same hole at 100 yds.

I also use IMR 4227 with cast in my Israeli 98-308 for the military matches and in a CPA-Stevens 38-55 single shot, both when breach seating and with fixed ammo.  And these all shoot best with this powder.

RD

GUSA #3 

Attached Files

Hi, Thanks for that. I picked this hornet up secondhand, and it too has been K'd. At present I have been only just working up some jacketed loads, and am getting 1/2 inch groups @ 100 yds freehand.

Will be interesting to see what it will do when I get my bench rest built.

I don't know who did the K work on the gun but it seems competent. The barrel is stil the original Ruger. I am however looking forwrad to working up some loads and seeing hopw it goes.

The few cast's I have put through it did perform better than the comercial loads.  (Seelier And Beliot Belgium), which seem to throw the odd flier. I only have about 300 gns of Imr powder left :X, and the chances of getting any more in NZ are not good. Still the AR equivlent burning rate seems a stable and temperature resistant powder, so will just have to work it up

Thanks for your reply and ideas Regards Chris

Attached Files

Thanks for that url, I will contact them regards Chris

Attached Files

Euan posted this 27 May 2008

Chris,   The aussie AR powder is good stuff & avalable here. AR 2205 is pretty close to the IMR 4227.  In the 70s I used a lot of Nobels 64 shot gun powder with cast loads in both hornet & K hornet. killed 1000s of rabbits & hares even a fair few wallaby with them. preformed as well even better than the 22magnum & cheaper which suits my scots ancestery. Cheers Euan.

Attached Files

Close