In a few days.....

• 3.6K Views
  • Last Post 27 April 2008
CB posted this 14 April 2008

Spring is almost here, by the end or the week, the weather should be warmer and dryer around here. Then I will put up my welding table/bench, get all set up and start casting until one or two conditions are met. First one run out of lead, the second one, when I get too tired to hold the molds. I have at least 500 pounds in ingot form at the moment and another 200 pounds plus to be alloyed and ingotized.

Wish me luck :D

Jerry

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
454PB posted this 16 April 2008

OK I will.....good luck!!

I do most all my casting in the winter, in fact I have dozens of baggies, butter containers, cigar boxes, sandwich boxes, and other containers of bullets laying everywhere in my loading room. I also sized about 2000 various bullets this winter, and have loaded enough ammo to keep me shootin' for a long time.

Then, it all starts over next fall.

Attached Files

CB posted this 16 April 2008

454p

I generally try to have 15,000 or more of each caliber on hand, that should last me at least 2 years.

Jerry

Attached Files

I wish life were that simple...

I have to cast for 3 people, (my wife, my father and myself) that shoot competition, that is a yearly event that takes a bulk of the winter.

Then there is the goof off bullets, plinking type for the pistols (4 calibers - 32 38/357 44 45) the single shot rifles ( 32 357 44 45/70 calibers)

Then I have about 2 1/2 tons of range scrap that has to be sorted, batched and poured into ingots. ( I separate all of the gas checked rifle bullets and jacketed for oblivious reasons)

If ya think that is easy, try it! I thought is was gonna be easy and I was wrong!

Then there is the bullet lube... And that is another story all together!

I have to condition myself to only buy guns I already cast for, however I was just offered a deal on a contender with 6 barrels.. 3o herrett, 357 herrett, 357, 44 mag, 45 long colt and 454 casull... The price is real right but I will have to spend a dollar or two for some more molds, then dry boxes to put the molds in, etc...

decisions, decisions.../images/emoticons/134.gif

Attached Files

PETE posted this 16 April 2008

Jeff, and others,

Gee! I REALLY feel sorry for you guys. :)  All that fun(?) of casting bullets.

I hate casting so much I pretty well live hand to mouth as far as having enuf bullets on hand to take care of me for just this week. I find if I get to far ahead then when I shift over to another caliber I end up melting down everything else because it might be a coupla years before I get back that gun again.

PETE

Attached Files

Pete,

You have enough rifles and pistols to swicth around and not use one for a couple of years? .>

Jerry

Attached Files

I love to cast!!  I love to shoot!!  I love to reload!! I love to scrounge stuff for all!!

My grandson has recently invented a new sport that includes them all.

FIRE GUN FISHING                                  WOO HOO!!

Attached Files

Roy 2 things come to mind...

First what is FIRE GUN FISHING?

Second, you have watching way too many WAMU commercials...

Attached Files

CB posted this 17 April 2008

I confess   

You are correct about way too much. Time!! Since retired, two years ago, I have substituted play for work. My play is shooting. Or maybe reloading. Or maybe casting. Anyway, my stockpiles of cast projectiles and ammunition has never in my life been ahead of my projected usage. My wife sends me out to the gun room for her sanity.

My grandson, Michael (aka Bugger), is now 6 1/2 years old, he has had and shot a BB gun since he was three. At four he stopped accidentally shooting me with it. The first time I shot a real gun in his presence, was to kill a varmit at dusk from the back porch. Of course in low light, the venerable 30-30 belched out a two foot flame. Hence the label “Fire Gun".  He is also an avid fisherman. When a big ol Gar fish tore up his Taz fishing pole, he wanted to go back to the gun room and get a “fire gun". My assumption was, we will stop fishing and go shooting.  You probably see where this is going by now. Our pond is one acre, so it was exciting for us both, to put up a ladder stand and feed the turtles dead Gar fish. DCF thinks it's deplorable that I allow him to use any type of “gun". USMC taught me at a young age, bad things to use fire guns for. I'm teaching fun things. 

Sun is coming up, State matches are in two weeks, gotta go make some special bullets. My intention is to capture at least one medal, in the State competition, it makes Bugger so proud of me.

Roy

Attached Files

I want to try hand grenade fishing one of these day, may have to go out the US to do this, but what the heck!

Jerry

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 17 April 2008

If you ever have any desire to get the kid into ham radio, you could also teach him “field telephone” or “pedal generator” fishing.  Better for covert ops as it doesn't disturb the neighbors.  Don't know its effect on gators, though, might need to check that out.  Guess you could still keep the “fire gun” handy. 

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Ed,

How about simplex field phones, haven't done one of those in years. Two of my kids are Amateur radio buffs, but for me the closest I ever got was my 1st Phone ticket back when they existed. But then I am giving my age away.

'Yote number 13 bit the dust this afternoon.  :fireEverybody hum the melody to Queen's Another Bites the Dust. :cool: I used my Marlin 336 in 35 Remington with a 214 gr SWC pistol bullet, don't remeber the load, but it was Unique.

Jerry

Attached Files

Calehedron posted this 26 April 2008

Good luck on your casting.  My Lee pot arrived yesterday and I cast a bunch more 44s.  9mm moulds arrive today!  I hope that you have as much fun as I am having!

Attached Files

CB posted this 26 April 2008

Calehedron,

Today, I am cast .357 bullets both for my 38/357 pistols and my 35 Remington Marlin. I have already cast .458 for my 45-70, and some 44 bullets for several of my pistols. I also worked in a couple of heavy bullets in .452/.458 to go into Sabots for my In line Muzzle loader.

Next I will start doing 30 caliber bullets for my FR8 rifle, My Marlin 336 in 30-30 and some Contender Handguns in 30 caliber.

I cast up several different type and styles of bullets for my various pistols and rifles. Currently I am waiting for my Ranch Dog class=Tahoma-16pxbTLC311-165-RF mold, which should be here in a week or so.

I may cast up some 22 45 gr bullets for my 22 Hornet and 221 Fireball. And some 44 WC and some 44 Hollow points. The Hollow Points are new to me, so I will experiment with making those.

My general philosophy for casting is to cast a large quantity, then load up all of those bullets, they will be consistent for the next year or two for my various weapons.

Plus I may cast some round balls and Maxi Ball for my muzzle loaders.

Have a great deal of fun and learn from what you do right and wrong. What kind of Lube- Sizer do you have? and What kind of Lubes do you use?

:lovecast:

Jerry

Attached Files

Calehedron posted this 27 April 2008

My 9mm 120gr moulds arrived today while the wife and I were out on a motorcycle ride to Cabela's.  Lee pot flow control screw stripped out and I had to do some emergency maintenance.  If it messes up again, I'm sending it back.

I bought the Lyman 4500 Lubrisizer with the heater and 5 sticks of Orange Magic to go with it to start.  Lots of interesting lube recipes so I may make some of my own one day.  For now I will stick to the bought stuff.

.380 moulds should be here in the next day or three then I will be complete for all my handguns.  My coworkers will have to buy thier own moulds and help me go junkyard diving if they want me to cast thiers.

Happy casting and shoot straight!

Attached Files

CB posted this 27 April 2008

After tilling my fields and do the daily choires around here, I cast for 4 hours, have buckets full of bullets, will do 4 hours or so tomorrow isf the weather cooperates.

I mostly did large bore rifle bullets today, tomorrow, probably the same. Big bullets use a lot of lead.

;}

Jerry

Attached Files

Close