Blooded the .303 Pygmy.

• 9.6K Views
  • Last Post 23 November 2010
JeffinNZ posted this 14 April 2008

Blooded the .303 Pygmy. Just got back from the annual wallaby hunt. I successfully took 5 wallabies with my .303 Pygmy wildcat using the CBE 316 175 bullet in oven heat treated clip on WW over 25gr of Benchmark for just shy of 2000fps. Made a couple of really pleasing off hand 100m shots downing the “wobblies” rather well. Great times!!

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
NORMSUTTON posted this 14 April 2008

Jeff nice rifle, great shooting, could you show  a close up of the cartridge haven't heard of that wild cat before and it's not in any of my books   NORM

Attached Files

CB posted this 14 April 2008

Great hunting Jeff! Thanks for the photos of the hunt and NZ. Good job with those open sights. Looks like you have you a really efficient round with the 303 Pygmy. I like sporter milsurps and that's a neat conversion, wood and bluing. I like Schnabel forearms  :)  ...................Dan

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 14 April 2008

Norm: It's a .303 x 1.5 of which I know of only two; mine and one in AU cut with my reamers. 

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

NORMSUTTON posted this 15 April 2008

Jeff   no on the reamers , but I'd like maybe 2 or 3 sized cases ,  to see if I couldn't a local guy I know to turn me a barrel for it  and put it on one of my No 1's MK III actions, I think you really got something there , especially for cast bullets   NORM

Attached Files

Scott Merchant posted this 15 April 2008

JeffinNZ

Nice pic's tell me a little about what you did to the magazine of the rifle, it's now flush. Oh by the way nice looking case and bullet.

Scott

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 15 April 2008

Scott Merchant wrote: JeffinNZ

Nice pic's tell me a little about what you did to the magazine of the rifle, it's now flush. Oh by the way nice looking case and bullet.

Scott Thanks.  I can't take the credit for it though.  The magazine well has been blanked off so it is single shot only as the original owner only wanted it for target purposes.  I was musing whilst hunting how I could cut down a Lee Enfield mag to made hold 3-5 rounds though.  Winter project?  HHHMMM.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

fourfingersofdeath posted this 20 June 2009

Some of the military rifle shooters here make up a straight stack mag which is riveted intot existing mag, uses the standard mag spring and a custom made follower. This is used for 7.62 and 223 conversions. Might work for you, if it doesn't drill out the rivets, remove insert and follower (retaining the mag spring), paint the offending items green (or yellow if in the dry parts of Australia) and throw them in the grass. :D

Four Fingers.

PS, they didn't ask about the thermals on this site!

Attached Files

CB posted this 20 June 2009

Love the rifle, love the cartridge, but especially love those purple drawers!!!!!!!!!! :)

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 20 June 2009

Certainly is a nice looking rifle, great shooting report!  Good to see you having some fun.

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 21 June 2009

"Purple drawers” indeed! Pat, don't you know Kiwi Camo when you see it?

Attached Files

CB posted this 21 June 2009

I always thought if it was camo you shouldn't see it? Those babies there glow like a neon sign.

All this is in fun Jeff so please don't Pygmyize me if we ever meet. I really do like the rifle and think the short .303 is great.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 21 June 2009

Those longjohns have become something of a trademark for me! Can't go hunting without them now. And then there is my paper patched bullets using pink paper. I didn't ask for pink but that's what arrived and it works so........

SFO, here I come!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

fourfingersofdeath posted this 21 June 2009

A lot of Aussies werar them when hunting in the Victorian Alps (well they aren't high enough to really be Alps, but we like to call them that, The Kiwis reckon our highest 'Mountain' Mt Kosciusko is just a paddock with it's back up).

They are excellent when you have to wade rivers in cold weather, they dry off quick and you stay warm(ish).

Attached Files

fourfingersofdeath posted this 21 June 2009

NORMSUTTON wrote: Jeff   no on the reamers , but I'd like maybe 2 or 3 sized cases ,  to see if I couldn't a local guy I know to turn me a barrel for it  and put it on one of my No 1's MK III actions, I think you really got something there , especially for cast bullets   NORM

Using cast it would be such a low pressure item an insert into a standard 303 Bbl work work ok wouldn't it?

Mick, aka Four Fingers.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 22 June 2009

This gets my vote for POTY (Post of the Year). It has everything, high fashion, very cool rifle, happy hunter, and bloody dead animal. Thanks Jeff!

Attached Files

NORMSUTTON posted this 22 June 2009

Mick, aka Four Fingers I don't see why an insert wouldn't work , you might have a great idea there     NORM

Attached Files

sart256 posted this 28 August 2009

It's a good looking rifle but, why shorten the cartridge?

Attached Files

sart256 posted this 28 August 2009

It's a good looking rifle but, why shorten the cartridge?

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 29 August 2009

I believe the originator did it to produce a mild, economical round while maintaining 100% load density and Lee Enfields are two a penny here so it wa logical to do the .303 Brit.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 29 August 2009

I believe the originator did it to produce a mild, economical round while maintaining 100% load density and Lee Enfields are two a penny here so it wa logical to do the .303 Brit.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close