Smallest,lightest cast bullet for deer ?

• 13K Views
  • Last Post 07 March 2013
jhalcott posted this 19 April 2008

I asked this question on another site and haven't got any replies YET. I have killed more than a few deer with cast bullets. using 7Mm thru 45-70 calibers and bullets from 168 grains(7mm) to 405 grains in the 45-70. Both handguns and rifles were used. IF the Lee 135 7MM bullet (soup can) can be shot at about 2400 fps ,WOULD it be a good deer bullet. ASSUMING good accuracy and ideal bullet placement.? I have heard of several guys using 150 grain cast bullets in the 30-06 with great success. MY 06 bullets are the 311291 and 31141 (170 grain). The 358315 &318 are used in the 35 rem and whelen. I like the 300fn RCBS and NEI's 405 pointed bulets in the 45-70. My normal alloy is a Lyman #2 copy at 15 BHN or a straight wheel weight alloy at 13 bhn. In the 45-70 I often use a 10 bhn alloy, depending on speed.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
shjoe posted this 20 November 2009

i have never tried it, but i have always thought that a decent 35 Whelan with a hard cast round nose bullet in the 250gr range near 1700fps would be more than adequate. “the load” with a 150gr flat nose may be fine and accurate out to 150yds or so. i would think that the light bullet would loose to much energy much beyond that, and not penetrate well. i will have to test that theory out one of these days on some wet phone books or a “box of truth". currently, i load up 180gr cast round nose 30-06 with R-7 with good accuracy through my M1917. havent tested bullet performance on live game yet.  best, john

Attached Files

99 Strajght posted this 20 November 2009

I have used the following to kill white tail deer. 100 gr. Saeco in both 250-3000 and in 257 Roberts. 170gr. 180gr. 200gr. and 210gr. in 30-30 and 30-06. 248 gr. in 358 Win and 35 Wehlen. 249 gr. in 38-55. 240 gr. in 44 mag. 290 gr. and 405 gr. in 45-70. All with WW-tin lead mix. Yes I think the 7mm would do a good job to. My next deer project is going to be the 22 Savage High Power.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
Johnny Breedlove posted this 21 November 2009

The last deer I shot was with an RCBS 180 SIL. bullet backed up by RL #7. I think the load was 28 gr. Thay were chornographed at between 1700 and 1800 FPS. The first shot went through the lungs he did not run he walked about 15 ft and stopped so the next shot went through the top of the spine near the neck. Both shots were taken at between 80 and 90 yds. I was using a 1925 ventage 30-30 Rifle with a 25 inch barrel. On paper this load will shoot consistantly into 3” or less at a 100 yds.

PS Both shots went all the way through. The first shot made a bullet size hole on entering and a Quarter size hole on exiting this was a quarting shot about 45 degrees from the rear, It went through the ribs near the rear of the left lung through the front of the right lung and exited behind the right leg.

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 21 November 2009

nice shooting and excellent performance on game.

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 21 November 2009

Back about 50 years ago, when I was living and working in northwest Montana for a while, quite a few of the locals were in the habit of using .22 long rifle rounds (in either rifle or pistol) to harvest “government beef.” It was nice and quiet. During regular deer season, of course, they used 30-30 and on up. I personally would rather be 'way overgunned, than take a chance on losing a wounded animal just to satisfy my curiosity. I don't mind killing something if I have any kind of decent reason - but I'm not real fond of just hurting things.

Wes

Attached Files

CB posted this 26 November 2009

I hunt in West Virginia on my property there with my Marlin 336 in 30-30. There are all sorts of bullet molds on the market, but I have a Ranch Dog mold for the Marlin Micro Groove rifling. It is 165 grains, I use an alloy softer than wheel weights, with a gas check, and this has been an effective combination for me.

My load is a simple one, 17 grains of IMR 4227 Winchester Brass with a CCI primer.

Jerry

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 26 November 2009

a gentleman told me HE used a 22 hornet to kill several deer in his garden with a cast bullet. He said they seldom went over 100 yards after the shot. 50 grain GC and 1900 fps velocity. Ranges were measured in feet to the deer, maybe 30 feet or so!

Attached Files

CB posted this 26 November 2009

That is a really low powered round to use on a deer. The foot pounds of energy for that Hornet load is only 400, while my 30-30 is about 1,000

I would worry about a clean kill even at 30 feet.

Jerry

Attached Files

Tazman1602 posted this 27 November 2009

In answer to how small a cast bullet for deer? I'm guessing thousands have been poached with .22 LR. As far as responsible hunting I don't think I'd want to be the “tester". I'll kill 'em to eat but I want them dead pretty quick and tracking without lots of snow is really tough in the woods and swamps.

Art

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 27 November 2009

To the immediate question, the new Winchester deer loads that I picked up for my 7mm-08  are 140 grain so, I'd say it's a safe bet.

Attached Files

odicoilius posted this 03 December 2009

Personally I wouldn't use less than .30 cal rounds for cast bullet deer. As for weight, 150gr. is about minimum, yeah, sure you can kill an elephant with a .22lr under ideal conditions but conditions in the field are seldom ideal. Use flat points whenever possible or heavier 180gr.-210gr.(in 30 cal)round nose with a hollow point. The heavier bullets don't “blow up” with a hollow point if a reasonable alloy is used (about bh12-14).The heavier bullets retain energy much better, and kill about like factory 30/30s. Odicoilius.

Attached Files

Von Gruff posted this 11 December 2009

I have a 162gn Lyman sil bullet for my 7x57 and in lino run it at 2415fps over 39gn H4350 for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2in 5 shot groups at 100. We often have multiple goat targets out to 200yds and I have always wandered how this cast bullet load might perform on meat. Anyone used lino on animals?. considering trying a soft nose on the bullet but if a straight lino bullet would anchor the animal suficiently quickly, would rather use it as is. Have spent a lot of time developing this particular load.

Von Gruff.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 11 December 2009

I feel a minimum is a flatnosed bullet with meplat not less than 0.6 of the caliber, not less than 115 grains, cast of suitable alloy which will expand and retain 70% or more of its original weight, at velocity not less than 1300 f.p.s. The blackpowder .32-20 would do it on average deer using a rifle within 50 yards if shots were well placed, but a .32-40 was very much better and a .44-40 was a more sure killer within its modest range limits.

Beyond 100 yards for typical deer sized game I'd want gaschecked bullets 6.5mm or larger over 140 grains and 1600 f.p.s.

If animals are expected to weigh over 150-lbs. I'd want not less than .35 cal., 180 grains and 1600 f.p.s. If likely over 200 pounds, then 200 grains of bullet and 1800. My two cents.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
jhalcott posted this 12 December 2009

So the 168/170 fn 7MM bullets I have been shooting around 1900 FPS would be good for deer at ranges below 100 yards?! This is good to know as I have used them on a bunch of deer with NO losses. All were hit in the shoulder or neck and few went more than 5 steps(heart shot). These were mixed bucks and does, some fawns also. None went over 150# on the hoof. The longest shot was just over 100 yards. I even used a few at much less velocity with equal results. That was a culling operation in a populated area.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 14 December 2009

I've shot maybe a dozen deer with cast bullets in the .30-30 over the years, mostly using wheelweight alloy at 1750-1950 f.p.s. All were recovered within 50 yards after running a short distance if not busted up on the spot. Factory loads in the .30-30 do the same thing and are sure, but not instant killers.

In following your deer it helps to mark each blood spot with a pencil-length stick and tuft of tissue paper as you go. If you “lose” the trail just “connect the dots” shining your flashlight along the backtrail, or if that fails search in small increasing concentric circles around the last blood spot until you find your deer. A blue or green LED flashlight makes blood splatter much more visible.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
odicoilius posted this 16 December 2009

To: Von Gruff,I wouldn't use lino on game unless head/spine shots are taken. Two things are likely to happen, one,the bullet will whistle right on through like a fmj or two, it'll hit a bone and blow up like a grenade.Lino is just too hard for proper expansion. Better to use a softer alloy and give up a little accuracy 2” groups are all that's needed for deer-sized game at the typical cast bullet ranges. --only my opinion. Odicoilius.

Attached Files

leadhead308 posted this 24 June 2011

I agree the linotype being to hard for body shot , just on what ive read on the subject, but ive been loading linotype in .308 with hornady gas checks ,C 309-170-F lee mold, lee liquid alox lube, loaded with 39.5 grains 748 winchester powder, average 2177 fps on a 70 degree day. Can easily keep shots in 4inch circle at 100 yards. I like head shots just for the simple fact of no meat loss. Only shot at paper, but will try this season on deer. I like linotype with gas checks for faster loads, less leading more shooting at range with better accuracy.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 24 June 2011

The smallest I've used has to be the Ranch Dog 311-165GC in a 30-30 .

However I always wanted to use the Lyman 311316 in the 32-20 if I kept shots to no more then 50 yards with a stiff load of H-110 and shot from a Marlin lever with a 20” or longer barrel .

As well as the Lyman 257325 in the Marlin 25-36 I had .

Attached Files

Mnshooter posted this 11 July 2011

My own feelings are that the alloy is more imprtant than the weight. I use a flat point bullet that weighs in at 188 grains in my 30-30 at around 2000 fps + or -and it has performed well at over 140 yards. I also have a 150 grain mold for the rifle and have often wondered if that would not work. Big thing is that my alchemy for bullet casting gives me bullets that expand. I water drop a soft alloy of about 1/2 WW and lead and then place the bullet bases in water and anneal the noses. With the 188 grain load mentioned, I would not be afraid to shoot a 200 pound + buck as it performs similar to the old 303 Savage which was used on larger game. Elk have been taken with 30-30's and 150 grain bullets with good shot placement. While some may want to use a heavier caliber I am just pointing out that there is a certain trend today to use more powerful loads than granddad used.

DP

Attached Files

mtn_runner posted this 13 July 2011

I have a friend who lives in a suburb of San Francisco who accidently killed a blacktail deer with his pellet gun while trying to shoo the critter out of his landscaping without disturbing the neigbors.

Personally, I use a 195 grain FNGC pushed at 1850 to 1900 fps in either 30 30, 30 06 or 7.5x55 for mule deer and a 260 grain RNGC pushed at 2000 fps in a 348 winchester for elk.

I am interested in having critters drop as quickly as possible once they are hit and these loads generally do the trick.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 16 September 2011

I shot a deer once with a Winchester 92 in 25-20. The bullet was 85 FNGC Lyman going about 1.8K fps. It did the job very well.

I would not recommend the 25-20 for deer, but it can be done if the shooter can place the bullet in the right spot.

Attached Files

CB posted this 17 September 2011

The old 25-35 Winchester was really popular for deer in many areas. It was simply a 30-30 case formed down to size, with a 117 gr bullet. I see Winchester has reintroduced it in the “new” 1894s. 32-20 was also used heavily, as mentioned before, and even the 25-20 had a following. I have serious reservations about the 25-20 & 32-20 under less than ideal conditions, but if you want low recoil, but solid performance, I'd probably draw the line at 25 caliber, 117 grains (with a properly designed bullet of suitable hardness), ans either the 250 Savage, or 25-35. Then all that's left is for you to do your part.

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 24 September 2011

This Nevada Mule deer season I'm using one of my 8x57's 18.5” barrel with the Lee round nose that casts at 180 gr with WW infront of 27 gr. of 2400. Chronoes at 2175 fps and groups into less than 2” at 100 yards. I'll let you know with pics.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 25 September 2011

When I was young, limber and could jump a three rail fence, I killed 8 deer with the 25-35 and the 25 Remington. Both did the job quite well. I am talking about full snort jacketed bullet loads.

Both of these rifles have a fairly fast twist which causes some special issues for cast bullets. I tried cast in a 25 Remington (Rem. 14) back about 1960, but never had good results. I will also admit I gave up after the first range session and a shotgun pattern on the target. Had I stuck with it, I am certain it would have yielded to one degree or another.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 26 September 2011

Smallest lightest bullet for deer?  22 rimfire. long rifle.  It ain't legal, but any warden will tell  you that it works real good-and on elk too.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Roy Ellis posted this 30 January 2013

Killed 9 does one night (with depradation permit) in a golf course housing addition.... 44grain .32 roundball over 3.7 grains bullseye in a .308 bolt gun. Head shot each one, all DRT & none of the residents heard my shots. 57ft was the longest shot though.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
Lefty posted this 30 January 2013

A neighbor from many years ago may he RIP always swore by a 22 mag. He shot his deer at night by the moon light. He wanted them to run off the field to the nearest woods before expiring. I believe it had something to do with the local game warden keeping an eye on him.:)

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 30 January 2013

Frank Marshall was fond of explaining how the .360 and .380 rook rifles went out of fashion in the era of Queen Victoria, because too many people were using them to poach the Queen's deer, and that after about 1885 the rook rifles mostly went to .255 caliber or less....

I can tell you that the Remington 148-gr. lead HBWC component bullet propelled by 3.2 grains of Bullseye gets about 900 fps from a 25 inch rifle barrel, with a peak pressure decibel level of about 90dB measured at 1 metre from the muzzle, and is just fine for deer up to about 100 pounds, when taken with head shots in the garden at ranges inside 50 yards.

Attached Files

tominct posted this 30 January 2013

I always thought about using a 170-220 gr in a 30-06 or? at about 11-1200 FPS. Quiet, but with enough weight to penetrate. Same goes for a subsonic 45-70 load or anything in between. good short range harvesting round with out the bellow of the big stuff.

Attached Files

357Maximum posted this 06 March 2013

I have used cast bullets in muzleloaders, the 32/40 ( with BLACKPOWDER), 7TCU@2512fps, 35Rem, 357MAG, 357MAX, 35Whelen, 30-30 to kill my deer. I did my part and they did theirs...no issues. A 6TCU or 32/20 is about the smallest I would use, but I know full well what a 17Hornet with an airgun pellet will do also.

Placement not size or speed. The question only comes down to this....how much do you want to haandicap yourself (range) and still get the job done? Both the buck (95yds) and the doe (135 yds) that I shot with the 135Grain 7MMTHOR from the 7TCU this year dropped dead at the shot, and some of the deer with the 30,s and 35's did the dash o' death....they all died well though. PLACEMENT ....PERIOD

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 06 March 2013

Chargar wrote: I shot a deer once with a Winchester 92 in 25-20. The bullet was 85 FNGC Lyman going about 1.8K fps. It did the job very well.

I would not recommend the 25-20 for deer, but it can be done if the shooter can place the bullet in the right spot.

Let us not forget the great Jordan Buck that was the #1 typical whitetail for a good many years was in fact killed with a 25-20 although it did take him 6 or 7 shots if my memory serves .

Back when I had and cast for the little guns I was kinda woumd up about trying the old circa 1902 Marlin 1894 I had in 25-20 with the Lyman 257312 , true it's only and 87 grain bullet but inside archery range and it should get the job done as long as it;s not the great warhorse of the north .

Attached Files

badgeredd posted this 06 March 2013

Here is some interesting information on the 7mm TCU with a custom 135 grain bullet shot at about 2500 fps. I see no reason the 7mm Soupcan wouldn't perform in a similar way if velocity and alloy were similar.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?171783-7mmTHOR-7TCU-Carbine-Venison

Edd

Attached Files

Harp posted this 07 March 2013

3006 using 31141 lyman and 25 grains of 4759 puts em down.

Attached Files

Close