Teflon tape

• 6.1K Views
  • Last Post 14 July 2008
JimmyDee posted this 21 April 2008

I was visiting another site and a poster over there reported using teflon tape in lieu of lube.  (What?  Something else I hadn't heard of?  When will it end?)

I've read that Ed, in his NRA research, used dry teflon on paper patched bullets.   (That was part of my education after learning that folks were pushing paper-jacketed bullets to metal-jacketed velocities.)

I realize that, for field applications, metal-jacketed velocities isn't what we're after -- but this seems a little different.  He's taping-up gas-checked bullets and sizing them so the excess tape is moved to the lube grooves.  If I'm reading this correctly, he also cuts away any tape above the case mouth.

The big deal?  He doesn't report very tight groups -- just no first shot fliers and no fouling no matter how many shots are fired.  Hmm...

So: Has anyone tried this?  Is there any merit in the idea?  Is there another way to avoid cold barrel/clean barrel fliers?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
cityboy posted this 21 April 2008

I tried using teflon tape a long time ago and gave up on it. The stuff is a bitch to work with and my finger dexterity is just not up to it.

Jim

Attached Files

CB posted this 21 April 2008

From a bullet lube standpoint I will offer the following:

I tried a lube formula with PTFE in it, the results were not favorable.

It left a brownish residue that was virtually impossible to remove and the accuracy when test fired did not warrant the extra work to clean it.

Attached Files

Tycer posted this 22 April 2008

Also, keep in mind vaporized Teflon® is toxic.

Attached Files

CB posted this 22 April 2008

Tycer wrote: Also, keep in mind vaporized Teflon® is toxic.

PVC is also very toxic when vaporized!  :puke:      Carcinogen galore!    More and more competitors are shooting PVC wads, the most toxic plastic still being manufactured.......................Dan

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 22 April 2008

Buddy of mine recently loaned me a copy of “THE ART OF BULLET CASTING” which contains reprints of articles from Handloader and Rifle Magazines, 1966 to 1981.  On page 178 there is an article titled “Patching Cast Bullets With Teflon” by Curtis L. Wilson.  The author's main concern seems to have been getting higher velocities without leading.  The article includes a picture of some pretty decent 100 yard 5 shot groups from a Ruger Number 3 in 45-70, but it seems like the main thrust of the experiment was with .30 caliber loads, and data and/or photos of .30 caliber accuracy was not included.  The article indicates this was “a work in progress” rather than a finished study.  I was not moved to run out and buy a bunch of rolls of plumber's tape.

Attached Files

CB posted this 22 April 2008

An old guy in my home town club used to shoot plumber's Teflon tape wrapped CBs all the time. He was a plinker and got a big kick out of it. He said you can see the tape as it unwound and fell off down range. I don't recall that he ever used tape shooting a match.

The old guy also used dissected Kotex pads for filler, after his 65 year old wife received a sample pack in the mail, but not really needing such a thing! A real conservative, no use wasting perfectly good filler!   (Note: I wouldn't mess with recycling used ones) :coffee  ............Dan

Attached Files

PETE posted this 22 April 2008

Dan,

This teflon thing is something that comes up every coupla years or so in the SS game. Personally I've never tried it and don't know of anyone who has. I would think, like in standard paper patching you'd need to put on enuf so that the rifling wouldn't cut thru causing Leading problems. I don't know how thick Teflon tape is but getting enuf around a bullet to take into account .003” or so lands would take quite a few wraps.

PETE

Attached Files

largecaliberman posted this 17 May 2008

I tried it on my 44 mag and it really leaded my barrel.  :X

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 17 May 2008

Hi, I tried the teflon tape a while back in my 7mm Express Ruger 77V ( .280 rem )...  at best, accuracy about like average plain base ... at worse, gooey residue that needed firelapping to remove (g).  YUK.

Of interest is that I found some double wide ( not thick )  tape in ... uh ... MSC or McMaster Carr, forget now.

I love the smell of TRIVIA in the morning.. ken campbell, iowa

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 18 May 2008

I've had no problems with teflon gumming up the bore. I have used it for 7mm ,.30 caliber, .35 and 45-70 both rifle and handgun. I have been trying it on and off for over 20 years. It doesn't work much better than NORMAL lubes.Accuracy seems to be on a par with most of them. A bad bullet will NOT work any better with Teflon tape than any other lube in MY opinion. It is NOT an alternative for PAPER patching,That is DO NOT expect jacketed velocities with it. It will prevent the problem of lube migration and/or dirt collecting on the bullet. You only need 2 wraps and the tape usually falls off within a few feet of the muzzle. You CAN experiment with more or less wraps to see how well it works (or doesn't) in your gun.

Attached Files

NoDakJak posted this 02 June 2008

I read that article in Handloader when it first came out.  About 25 years ago I ought a H&R, Trapdoor carbine.  Really weird barrel!  When fired it left what looked like “steel wool", actually strings of lead in the bore.  I tried teflon taping the 400 Lee bullets.  First I simply trued taping a sized and lubed bullet.  That didn't work too well.  As noted above, this is tricky to handle especially with my ham handed mits.  The answer for me was to run the wrapped bullet through the sizer the second time.  Cured my leading problem.  Can't tell you much about accuracy.  This little beast slapped the snot out of me so bad that I traded it for a much heavier Rolling Block.

NoDakJak    Raised in Lorimor, Iowa   Class of 57

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 02 June 2008

I've used it on the 7TC/U ,35 Remington(14” contender) 35 Whelen and 45-70. Both in a 14” contender and the Mauser bolt rifle. I tried more than 2 wraps with no noticeable improvement in accuracy over 2 wraps. I tried some different alloys to see if it made a difference. It did when higher velocities were tried. A wheel weight or harder alloy seems to be the best FOR ME! I do not think the taped bullet is in the bore long enough for the heat to affect the tape. What happens to those “meat tray” checks many people use. Do they leave a melted plastic coating in the bore? When you put the tape on pipe threads and cinch down on the pipe with a pair of 18” pipe wrenches , the tape is merely compressed. Take the pipe apart and the tape is still in/on the threads. I've used teflon on some pitted bores with out having problems.

Attached Files

CB posted this 20 June 2008

I think I may try this, especially with my TL lee bullets and see how they work, two wraps enough, what is the width of the tape? I know I can get wider tape that all of that stuff they sell at the hardware store.

;}

This has got me thinking,

Jerry

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 20 June 2008

Hi Jerry, the tape comes in half and 3/4” rolls. I use the size that doesn't leave a long “tail” after wrapping. 1/2” on most pistol and 3/4” on some rifle bullets. In MY experiments ,2 wraps worked very well. a SINGLE WRAP did NOT leave any leading, but accuracy suffered.. With my FAT .270 mold I cast some bullets for a test using WW/lead alloy. they came out thinner than my normal alloy as expected. I used 3 wraps to get them back up to .2845” and shot them in the 7tc/u carbine. They showed signs of tipping as there were a few keyholes in the target. They shot good cast of ACWW or a Lyman #2 copy. I just use the normal Teflon pipe tape ,not the yellow GAS tape.

Attached Files

CB posted this 20 June 2008

Thanks that helps a lot.

Jerry

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 14 July 2008

I have a NEW caliber that I am using Teflon tape in! I got a 225415 mold and have tried a few loads in it. I tumble lubed some in LLA, then sized them in a .224 Lee push thru die. I also seated the gas checks with the Lee die. After a few “normal” loads I decided to experiment. I wrapped about 20 of these tiny bullets with 2 wraps of teflon (already LLA lubed and checked). I loaded 5 round groups of WW 748 powderstarting at 23 grains and going  up to 26 grains. Groups have been getting SMALLER and rounder as power increases. I am going to try for about 28grains before I chrono them. My last 2 groups were right at 1 1/2” at 50 yards,rested and a 10x scope thru a 14” T/C barrel

Attached Files

Close