.22 hornet-What is everyone shooting in it?

• Last Post 16 February 2017
6thtexas posted this 21 January 2017

I have started playing with my old Ruger #3 and some cast bullets.  I have two molds.  One is the older design “Bator” from Lee and the other is a NOE 22-45WFN (plain base).  So far my results have been very encouraging.  2.0 grains of Bullseye and the 22-45WFN will group in 1” all day long @ 50 yds.  The Bator and 6.0 grains of 2400 will group into 2” @ 100yds. I would like to come up with a load similar to the .22 WRM with the Bator.  My aim is to get a load with the 45 grain bullet that is close to the old .22 WRF and maybe get close to 2,000 with the Bator.  What is everyone using with these bullets in a Hornet?  I am using a regular RCBS sizing die and partially neck sizing the cases.  Is the Lee collet sizer any better?

This rifle really shoots well with a 40 gr. Nosler BT and 13.0 of Lil gun.  I have read of folks using 7-8 grains of Lilgun under a cast bullet but haven't tried it yet-I don't  know about reduced loads with it.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Dale53 posted this 16 February 2017

I started with the .22 Hornet many years ago. I was inspired by Col.Townsend Whelen's articles and books on cast bullets. I have the Lyman 225420 gas check bullet mold. I was mostly interested in cast bullets for edible small game. I ended up with 3.0 grs. of Unique with small pistol primers. I got excellent results at fifty yards in both my Kimber Hornet and my TC Contender Hornet. However, I became dissatisfied with Hornet brass in general. The primer pockets enlarged in just a few uses with full jacketed loads. I sectioned a case head and saw why. There is just no metal there supporting the primer pocket.

I eventually got rid of my Hornets in spite of the fact I actually was happy with the performance level in both cast bullets and jacketed bullets for the small farms I hunted. My game was edible small game with the cast bullets and groundhogs with jacketed bullets.

I later on had a chance to buy a Ruger #3 with custom wood for a decent price that had originally been a Hornet but was rechambered to a .221 Fireball. That gave me the best of both worlds. The power level I appreciated (modest), with excellent accuracy and a VERY strong case. In this case, the theory panned out. It was a most satisfactory arrangement.

I even got rid of my Hornet TC barrel and replaced it with an SSK .221 Fireball barrel. It would give me 1/2” groups (off a rest) at 50 yards with the 3.0 gr. Unique cast bullet load. The #3 also shot that well. I kept that rifle until I lost the vision in my right eye.

To put this back on point. Using the Hornet case, with small pistol primers, the Lyman 225420 ahead of 3.0 grs. of Unique gave me a dandy edible small game load. That flat nose worked MUCH better on squirrels than a .22 rimfire and gave excellent results at the range. If you can find some better cases, the power level of the Hornet can be very useful in the hunting fields, too.

FWIW

Dale53

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 16 February 2017

Speaking of Hornet cases..I have been using RWS cases with much improved accuracy over Rem. or Win. brass.  Pricy, but improved accuracy is worth it..plus these have been in steady use for over 10 years.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 16 February 2017

i think the hornet is one that might benefit from ” sorting ” cases .  my collection over the years shows some variance in rim thickness , so i sort by that .           another sorting method which would seem logical but i haven't tried in my hornet would simply to not use cases that have resulted in a wide shot ( g ) ... that might be more whimsical than valid ... and might go through a lot of cases .

i have a ruger 77h with the sloppy bolt so i set my barrel back to just bump on closing on my selected cases ... which took out the slop in the 2 piece bolt .  this little sweetie is one of my favorite plinking guns, but not the one i would pick to win a group contest .

ken

Attached Files

shootcast posted this 16 February 2017

Try H110- check Lyman manual for loads. They recommend it and at times has shot well for me. However I get a good group followed by several bad groups. The powder that has been most consistent but not high velocity is now discontinued. SR 4756

Attached Files

shootcast posted this 16 February 2017

I have started playing with my old Ruger #3 and some cast bullets.  I have two molds.  One is the older design “Bator” from Lee and the other is a NOE 22-45WFN (plain base).  So far my results have been very encouraging.  2.0 grains of Bullseye and the 22-45WFN will group in 1” all day long @ 50 yds.  The Bator and 6.0 grains of 2400 will group into 2” @ 100yds. I would like to come up with a load similar to the .22 WRM with the Bator.  My aim is to get a load with the 45 grain bullet that is close to the old .22 WRF and maybe get close to 2,000 with the Bator.  What is everyone using with these bullets in a Hornet?  I am using a regular RCBS sizing die and partially neck sizing the cases.  Is the Lee collet sizer any better?

This rifle really shoots well with a 40 gr. Nosler BT and 13.0 of Lil gun.  I have read of folks using 7-8 grains of Lilgun under a cast bullet but haven't tried it yet-I don't  know about reduced loads with it.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 22 January 2017

I bought my eldest daughter a Zastava Hornet.  Great little rifle and once I bedded the action and floated the barrel it is a SHOOTER.

For cast is shoots VERY well with the NOE 225107 over 7gr of Lil Gun and a WSR primer.

Also is fond of the new version of the Lyman 225415 over 8.6gr of H4427 and a CCI small pistol primer.

Both targets 50m.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Close