22 long rifle centerfire

• Last Post 08 April 2020
delmarskid posted this 23 March 2020

https://www.rccbrass.com/product/22-long-rifle-center-fire/

I saw a post on a Facebook cast bullet group about this company which makes custom brass. A reloadable 22 lr looks like it would be a fun cast bullet experience.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ross Smith posted this 23 March 2020

At 3.25 each for the cases,plus mold, I'll buy rimfire.

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 23 March 2020

Might be fun with a Stevens 44 that needs a barrel.

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 23 March 2020

A reloadable 22 lr looks like it would be a fun cast bullet experience.
Amazingly enough, there have been dies (cheap and pricey), shell holders, rimfire priming compound and molds out there to reload the standard rimfire version for a long time now.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
Gregor posted this 23 March 2020

Thanks for posting, there is a nice library of information there that is most educational.  Nice to see a company fill a need for these cases.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
Bud Hyett posted this 23 March 2020

Primed .22 Long Rifle cases are available, #42.99 per 2,000.

.22 LR Primed Cases  

Think about this: 

• The commercial bullets are swaged for cost and uniformity.
  • The lubricants are proprietary.
  • The alloy is soft, very soft.
  • There are years of research and experience in building this ammunition

This is an interesting project and a challenge of outrageous proportions, I have read of people trying primed .22 LR cases, breech seating with cast bullets on other forums, but never seen nay results published. 

A shooter could mold the bullets, build a bullet seater, breech seat, and spend hours and hours attempting to achieve what we can buy. Perhaps someone will see a challenge here and attempt to use either the centerfire cases or the primed .22 LR cases. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Squid Boy posted this 23 March 2020

Reloading rimfires, I always used the little tip sliced off of "strike anywhere" matches. Carefully crushed up in acetone and pushed into the rim with a match stick. Worked fine but a good way to set your hair on fire while doing it. Squid Boy

"Squid Pro Quo"

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
mashburn posted this 24 March 2020

Hello Bud.

I sure would like to find some 25 Stevens long cases for sale at that price. I would have a lot of fun with my favorite rifle of my teenage years.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
delmarskid posted this 24 March 2020

They may have something for you. I noticed adapter cases for the 32 rimfires that use 22 cases as a primer source.

Attached Files

Gregor posted this 01 April 2020

Was over at 24hourcampfire in the Ask The Gunwriters and posted about this.  DigitalDan was the inspiration along with John Barsness, the noted gun writer from Rifle, Handloader, et al.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12274426/1

My initial post.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14713776/roberson-cartridge-company#Post14713776

Thought that you would enjoy, maybe not the "rest of the story", but additional information. 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 01 April 2020

... along the lines of a pipsqueak 22 lr centerfire case gun ...  consider the 25 acp ...  brass and dies are available.

although not a rimmed case, neither is my 30 carbine, and it doesn't have any problems of ignition even in the generous army issue chamber.  at most trim to uniform . 

of course, one drawback for the economical route is the scarcity of cheap take-off barrels as with the 22 rf ... ... but i think green mountain has a 25-20 in a 14 twist barrel for $100 ...

maybe put this on a modified old 22 lr action ... maybe a win. 72 ? ... or maybe a newer ruger american 17 hornady ? ...

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
  • delmarskid
45 2.1 posted this 01 April 2020

... along the lines of a pipsqueak 22 lr centerfire case gun ...  consider the 25 acp ...  brass and dies are available.

of course, one drawback for the economical route is the scarcity of cheap take-off barrels as with the 22 rf ... ... but i think green mountain has a 25-20 in a 14 twist barrel for $100 ...

ken

The only problem you have there is the 25 ACP is 0.251" and any 25-20 barrel is 0.257". I don't think the accuracy level would suit you.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 01 April 2020

""  The only problem you have there is the 25 ACP is 0.251" and any 25-20 barrel is 0.257". I don't think the accuracy level would suit you.  ""

ken sez: i forgot !    it would require more pre-planning than my simple scheme listed.  but maybe we could use "oversize"  bullets to fit the barrel.  i use 0.312-3 castings in my 30 carbine.   

hmmm ... maybe consider a heeled bullet ( like 22 rf ) ... the case dia is 0.276, plenty of room  ...  dang ... i gotta look more at this.   btw, it looks as though a good 22 hornet extractor might work on the semi-rim of the 25 acp.  my 77h for instance ... has a real hook extractor.        geeze ...       thanks.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 01 April 2020

One of the shooters at Windhill (now deceased) before I left Illinois talked of converting a Ruger Single-Six to .25 ACP simply for the fun of it. He owned a well-worn Single-Six with both cylinders and wanted a unique revolver. We researched the cartridge and the concept. 

There were several problems:

• Where to get a raw stock .251 barrel?
  • Did building a new cylinder meant adding the ratchets at the back and a new hand?
  • If not a new cylinder, how to defeat the heat-treat, or anneal and re-heat treat, the current cylinder.
  • Where to get new brass? (Once-fired was the answer then) 
  • It was a home project, no Midwest gunsmith wanted to touch this.  

There were several good attributes:

• The cartridge is semi-rimmed.
  • The rim is enough to catch the case for the hammer fall,
  • The current cylinder was long enough and strong enough. 
  • Someone made a .25 ACP mold.  

Based on what is written:

• I think the heeled bullet in a .257 barrel is part of the answer.
  • A tight chamber to get maximum rim resistance coupled with a chamber where the headspace is controlled like the .45 ACP is part of the answer.
  • I think i still have the RCBS shell-holder for .25 ACP from those days, I would donate for this adventure.  

If this proves out, I'd be tempted to buy a Single -Six to make one; but only tempted! Somewhere between my wilder thoughts and my hand reaching for my wallet, my Scottish Frugality Gene often takes over and freezes my fingers. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • John Alexander
45 2.1 posted this 01 April 2020

""  The only problem you have there is the 25 ACP is 0.251" and any 25-20 barrel is 0.257". I don't think the accuracy level would suit you.  ""

ken sez: i forgot !    it would require more pre-planning than my simple scheme listed.  but maybe we could use "oversize"  bullets to fit the barrel.  i use 0.312-3 castings in my 30 carbine.   

hmmm ... maybe consider a heeled bullet ( like 22 rf ) ... the case dia is 0.276, plenty of room  ...  dang ... i gotta look more at this.   btw, it looks as though a good 22 hornet extractor might work on the semi-rim of the 25 acp.  my 77h for instance ... has a real hook extractor.        geeze ...       thanks.

Consider the 25 Hornet.... real dies, standard barrel dimensions, East to blow out 22 Hornet cases, a donor Ruger bolt gun. I like that idea myself.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Wineman posted this 08 April 2020

Many years ago Col Charles Askins found a 22 caliber centerfire the 5.5 mm Velo Dog. He had a custom Colt Woodsman made to fire it, turned off the rims and took it to and won the Camp Perry National matches in 1937. He had a centerfire without any appreciable recoil. The rules were changed the next year to 0.32 caliber or larger. Kind of like Andy Granatelli and the Turbine Indy car (although he didn't win) which was banned after that race.

https://www.bullseyepistol.com/askins.htm

Dave

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • mashburn
mashburn posted this 08 April 2020

Hello Ken,

You rascal, you just set off another brain quake in my head. I'm a sucker for little cartridges to play with and build. Another Iowa man, Dick Sanders, and his little book called "17 Caliber Shooting" was what started me playing with .17 Cal. rilles. A friend of mine gave me the book and I've never been the same since. I would imagine that Dick is not with us anymore. . A .25 ACP would be a interesting project. I guess a guy could make him a rifling button and make the barrels himself. I wonder what the bore size is in .25 air rifle barrels. I also wish the acp was longer. It is the perfect size other than length to make a .25 Stevens center fire case other than length. I've been looking for a parent case. If I could find a parent case I would convert my old pump marlin .25 Stevens to center fire and hunt squirrels with it again. I started to turn some cases years ago but am too covered up with projects that I hope to finish while I'm on top of the earth. I have about 1/2 box of ammo for the rifle but I refuse to shoot it up. If I start a .25 acp project, it's your fault. Ha.

Error correction: I meant to write Dick Saunders instead Dick Sanders. After Dick retired, his wife screened all of his calls and would not let people with gun building questions talk to him. She must have liked my southern accent because she would always let me talk to him and we talked quite often. I had no drawings of some of his .17 conversions and he would explain certain aspects over the phone , so who says that a Yankee and a Southerner can't understand each other. 

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 08 April 2020

Hello Wineman,

Very interesting and informative article. If you have more info like this, please reveal it.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Hornet posted this 08 April 2020

You could get a .25 ACP barrel blank if you wanted to play with it:

https://www.lothar-walther.com/gun-barrel-blanks/pistol-barrels/standard/527/barrel-blank-twist-9.8-6-35mmbrowning.25acp-od-1.02-l-23.82-cr-moly-steel?c=37

I'm not sure how well it would work trying to redraw the cases for more length. Not exactly a wide range of molds available either but there are a few out there.

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 08 April 2020

It is the perfect size other than length to make a .25 Stevens center fire case other than length. I've been looking for a parent case. If I could find a parent case I would convert my old pump marlin .25 Stevens to center fire and hunt squirrels with it again.   Mashburn

Here you are:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?327937-25-10-Halsted-AKA-25-Stevens-centerfire

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 08 April 2020

Mashburn,

I remember reading about this in a 1972 Shooting Times (the ones printed on the normal paper not the glossy stuff). Here is a link to that article:

http://darkcanyon.net/The_Legend_Of_Charley_Askins.htm

I have never seen a Velo Dog cartridge up close and personal. I'm wondering if a Match Target Woodsman might make it to my safe someday before I start to thin the herd? I had a ratty post war made from pre-war parts Sport Woodsman (OK for high speed 22 LR) for a while but let it go. It was a fun shooter but the condition was more tackle box than I liked.

Dave

Attached Files

Close