22 Remington Jet

• 1.4K Views
  • Last Post 18 November 2019
David Lenz posted this 07 March 2019

I recently acquired an H&R handi rifle chambered in 22 Remington Jet. So far I’ve found very little load data of any kind and none for cast. I have several 22 cal. molds ranging in weight from 36 to 70 grns. . If anyone has experience reloading for this cartridge I would appreciate some advice. Thanks in advance for the help.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 07 March 2019

If you keep drawing a blank, Start loads for jacketed bullets are usually top end loads for the same weight cast bullet in the caliber. From a cold start and no data, I'd try 3.5 gr Titegroup and expect it to be usable with no ignition problems for any of your bullet weights and expect ~ 1200 fps. That is just my voodoo math...proceed at your own risk!

Gary

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
45 2.1 posted this 07 March 2019

I recently acquired an H&R handi rifle chambered in 22 Remington Jet. So far I’ve found very little load data of any kind and none for cast. I have several 22 cal. molds ranging in weight from 36 to 70 grns. . If anyone has experience reloading for this cartridge I would appreciate some advice. Thanks in advance for the help.
I had a Topper and a Model 53 in 22 Jet at the same time long ago. Cast loads for the Model 53 are in the older Lyman manuals. You will find what loads are given are fine in a Topper, but give more velocity in the rifle barrel. Load intensity is the same for either firearm.

Attached Files

Urny posted this 07 March 2019

This is timely.  This past weekend I got an H&R Topper Model 158, also a .22 Remington Jet, at a gunshow in Caldwell, ID.  PPu loaded ammo is on order from SGAmmo.com.  After the brass is empty, cast will be on my list too.

Having no prior experience with this caliber, I will be watching this with great interest.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 07 March 2019

I have  a Lyman 44th edition that has jet cast loads and some vintage Speer books  with jacketed loads for the Jet. I can e-mail you copies of each if interested. Just PM with your e-mail address and I'll attach. Have had several S&W model 53's over the years. Copyright prevents posting here. 

R.

Attached Files

Urny posted this 07 March 2019

PM sent, thank you very much.

I have been working with steel and bronze wool, olive oil and Ed's Red, on the metal finish.  Unfortunately, some small pits will not be removed and the lovely case colors and blue are lightly degraded.  I wish the several later Handi-rifles had been made and finished to the standard this was.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 07 March 2019

Urny

On the way

R.

Attached Files

David Lenz posted this 08 March 2019

PM sent, thank you.

Attached Files

Urny posted this 08 March 2019

Got the emails you sent Richard.  Thank you.

Attached Files

David Lenz posted this 10 March 2019

Thanks for all of the help, I’ve ordered the Lyman 44th manual on eBay. I think this will be a good skunk gun.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 10 March 2019

That 44th edition circa 1967 Lyman loading manual is one of the most useful loading books that I have accumulated over the past fifty years. Not only does it have load information for the older and then modern calibers with jacketed back then but also, for every cartridge it lists cast loads as well with an accuracy load for each cast bullet weight. I don't know, but can only surmise that these loads probably were actually fired back then. No computer simulations.

So, treat mine with TLC cause the poor old thing is basically a loose leaf book anymore. To my disgust , passed a nice replacement up at the local gun show a couple of years ago. By the time that I came back after thinking about it, some one else had snapped it up. won't happen again.

R.   

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • M3 Mitch
RicinYakima posted this 11 March 2019

That is why I have a working copy, a back up and a collector's copy. I'm a belt and suspenders man on loading manuals.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
  • Bud Hyett
mashburn posted this 12 March 2019

David

Keep in mind that this caliber used either .222 or .223 diameter bullets. Don't use .224. I have the Lyman manual that has both jacketed and cast loads for the .22 Jet. I would be happy to zerox  it off and mail it to you if you would like. I looked for one of those rifles for a long time years ago.Good luck.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Urny posted this 12 March 2019

For those who would rather not put the wear and tear on the fine old manuals, reprints are available from Cornell Publishing, cornellpubs.com.  They offer a lot of reprints at what I think are fair prices.

I suppose most here already knew of this, but repeating it can not hurt much.

Attached Files

makpeter posted this 17 November 2019

Hello, newbe here 

I've bought a NOE 225-70-RN and living in Europe, so we don't have the powders like in the USA

I have a Lyman 48the edition but can't find load data for like Vihtavuori or Lovex

Is there somebody that can help me finding load data

Thanks

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 17 November 2019

Answer in your welcome thread.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • makpeter
makpeter posted this 18 November 2019

Thank you

Attached Files

Close