22 RF snap caps

• Last Post 11 December 2019
R. Dupraz posted this 09 December 2019

This topic has nothing to do with cast bullets, Well, maybe or maybe not but thought that I would post it anyway as an item of interest to those who may not be aware.

The last good day at the range was a few days ago but that has all gone away here in the upper great plains once again for the duration. Wind chill this morn. --- 00.  

Due to the CEO's adamant refusal to allow any gunfire in the basement of this cabin, I started looking for a way to at least do some dry firing with  22 pistols down there to occupy myself and at the same time keep the peace for the next 3-4 months. or so. After nearly 50 years, I have learned. 

Now, it['s pretty much common knowledge that dry firing a 22 RF can cause damage to the chamber and or firing pin, so l went searching for some kind of 22 RF snap cap and  ran across the idea of using small dry wall anchors in the chamber of a 22 RF to prevent any damage. And found this. 

They are yellow in color, size #6-8 and 7/8" long. Found some at our local Ace Hdwr  this morning at $ 4.69 /100. The rim on several makes of 22RF that I have, measure from .270" - .272" in diameter . while the flanges on the anchors are .269". For all intents and purposes, insignificant. 

I tried them in a Browning Buckmark URX Contour pistol, a Remington 581 and a CZ Mod 1 and these anchors fed through the magazines, chambered and ejected in all three like gang busters. And the flanges on the anchors are just barely marked by the firing pins.  

R.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
John Alexander posted this 09 December 2019

Great idea.

I find a good air gun great for holding off cabin fever.

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
BigMan54 posted this 09 December 2019

GREAT !!

That is worth knowing. And I'm going to ACE this morning too.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 December 2019

... what you need is my RWS spring rifle ... 17 pellets ...  as a bonus, you build up a mighty set of arm muscles ...  spinning targets are a hoot ... and hey, you can salvage the lead ....  let me know i can ship it tomorrow ( g ) ...

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 10 December 2019

Sorry Ken. I appreciate your offer but you are about a week and a half late. Have to pass. The Christmas budget has already taken a hit when that Buck Mark showed up. Got suckered  into Browning's Black Friday $ 50.00 rebate program on their pistols. Who says marketing doesn't work ?

Besides, remember that CEO? I know better than to press the issue any further. 

Some years ago, a shooter from a club near here came up with the idea of hosting an indoor 50 ft. silhouette 22 match every year on Super Bowl Sunday for any 22 rifle or pistol with an emphasis on kids.. Basically, if you have a 22, come and shoot. It has evolved into quite a gathering since then with in excess of 40 or so shooters every year.

So, this old washed up has been bullseye shooter is going to try a pistol this year and Is presently in  training. The arm muscles that is or what's left of them. Way I figure, shouldn't be too hard. firing points all individual and partitioned. Maybe no one will see and I can cheat a little. Just have to ignore all the snickering and pointing of fingers though.

Maybe I'll mess with some minds and bring some of those yellow bullets.

R.   

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 11 December 2019

R,Dupraz;

Thanks for the heads up. I was out and about today with a shooting friend. We made it a point to stop at an ACE Hardware and each got a box of the anchors. They work exactly like you said (not that I doubted you for a secondsmile)!

This is the kind of info that helps all of us!

Dale53

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 11 December 2019

While at the LCS today, I saw six 22 snap caps and they were $9.99.

Attached Files

Ken T posted this 11 December 2019

I've been using those for years.I've never tried feeding them thru the magazine though.

Attached Files

Shootingfun posted this 11 December 2019

Wow if they feed sure be a great teaching aid for 22 pistols, Be able to do ball and dummy cheaply.

Attached Files

Close