Freechec

• 3.2K Views
  • Last Post 24 May 2008
codarnall posted this 26 April 2008

I just saw the post for Freechec's.   Someone indicated that if only a system was available they'd be intrested based on the high prices of them now.  Well I've been making these gadgets for sometime and it's my own design and have been selling them for my cost primarily.  The design is unlike the Freechec insofar as it is not press mounted.  The setup is a two piece forming mandrel and die anvil.  The aluminum disk cutter is a saddle  or hollow hole punch to cut the raw disks from the soda cans or other like material.  The material thickness varies from .004-.009 inches depending on where the material is cut from the can.  Wall .004 bottom .009 inches. the shocking blow to the mandrel can be designed to extrude or just form the basic gas check based on the bullet shank diameter.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
beagle posted this 26 April 2008

What's thed cost???

Attached Files

3100Loren posted this 26 April 2008

I am very interested and would like to hear more.  Do you have a web site or some way of passing information?  After cost, my next question would be caliber selection.

Attached Files

CB posted this 26 April 2008

If you want to know more about THe FreeChec system, go over to the http://levergunscommunity.com/index.php>http://levergunscommunity.com/index.php forum and ask the guy who invented it, Paco Kelly.

I have a machine shop and figured that I would try to make this device for my own use, I need .308, .357. 429, 452 and 458 in the way of gas checks. It's getting the right end mills, drills and reamers to make this things work for me, then there are some issues of aluminum oxide and wear on the barrel.

Jerry

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 26 April 2008

I've been selling my rendition under my use name elsewhere.  Not completely sure of the rules here, you'll just have to google my user name I guess.  Anyway I have had great success selling these things world wide, and am now being forced to protect the intellectual knowledged associated with the design.  Semi-automatic lathes can make the initial cuts in 20 minutes.  I figure 2 hours to the finished product with all the hand work.  Under 7mm are just impossible however.  Regards, codarnall

Attached Files

CB posted this 26 April 2008

Codarnall,

Then I will not infringe on your intellectual property. I will make my own and 7mm is not a barrier, just another challenge for a guy who has a well equiped machine shop.

For those who don't have a machine shop to make these, maybe you should have a package price, some people won't deal with eBay, while others give the members of this forum a decent break on price.

Good Luck,

Jerry

Attached Files

3100Loren posted this 27 April 2008

I bid on one on Ebay, and as of this morning I am out bid.  I guess I'll try again.:(  I wish somebody would make this commercially.  I would like to know more about it and to try one out.  Does anyone out these have any expirance, good or bad with one of these?

Thanks,

Loren

:(Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Men at Arms)

Attached Files

CB posted this 27 April 2008

Loren,

Goggle Paco Kelly or check for his lever action forum.

I wish somebody would make this commercially, for like $29.95. But pitch the idea at Harbor Freight and they will probably make one for $19.95.

Jerry

Attached Files

Jerry,

Thanks a lot.  I went over to the Leverguns web page and singed up.  Looks like a good tip.  I gotta go to work. Sigh!

Loren

Attached Files

codarnall posted this 27 April 2008

I once took hundreds of small binoculars to Harbor Freight before they were BIG.  These had come from Japan. A buddy imported them and could not  sell  any of them via the WSJ.  These were noname types the  kind Bushnell etc would place their names on.  Even with all the legal docs etc.  it seemed the only wanted them by the thousands.  I sold about all of the them in two weeks at PT. Mugu. some bought 4 sets for Xmas gifts.   I get my punches from them, and folks complain their from China.  I give them away free and some I have to charge $3.00 ea.  These new punches just cost me $9.90 in bulk  each :(by GENERAL.   So please, someone explain how to get A1 O1 W1 tool steel cheap.  Cheers- Charlie

Attached Files

CB posted this 27 April 2008

codarnall,

To get anything cheap, you have to order a shipping container full.  I have friends who get a lot of stuff from China, one sells parts for scales, another who sell glass figurines for the gel candle trade, yet another who has bunches of books printed in China. All of them can get their work done cheaper in China than any where else in the world.

You need to come up with some thing that the Chinese industry can make for you, buying an already made item puts at least one more middle man in the economic equation.

Where is the cheapest place to buy newly manufactures 7.62 by 39 ammo, China of course, if you want old inventory then buy from the Russians or other former Soviet block countries.

Check out all of the things Walmart sells and where the stuff comes from. You may not be able to get the same pricing that Walmart gets, but do some comparison from manufacture from the states and around the world.

Currently I am get machine tooling stuff from Poland, quality and good prices.

Jerry

Attached Files

All that being said, I bid on another set. I'll let you know how it goes.

Loren

Attached Files

3100Loren posted this 30 April 2008

Hello,

I got my gas check tool today, seems Charlie is situated just down the street from where my daughter works and he was nice enough to drop it by to her for me.  Talk about service!  It took very little practice to turn out a very respectable looking gas check.  The real test will be in the shooting, which I am looking forward to trying it out in my .45/70.  It seems to be a quality tool that will last.  I hope Charlie will someday sell these commercially.

Loren

Attached Files

beagle posted this 01 May 2008

Glad you're satisfied.How much did it cost?Thanks Beagle

Attached Files

3100Loren posted this 02 May 2008

Beagle,

Yes, so far I am very satisfied, of course I haven't had time to shoot with them yet; that will be the real test.  I go to work every day because my bride has gotten used to eating regular, but the weekend is coming!  I got 60 .45 caliber gas checks from one aluminum can (16 oz.) in less that an hour.  The cost was a little high, but I think it may have more to do with the value of the dollar and bidding against the euros. The bid came out to over $40.00, but that is the cost of 1000 gas checks (without shipping) so it depends on how you look at it.  I think that if they shoot well, it will be a great investment, I have heard all my life that you get what you pay for, but then again my daddy always said it is a lucky man who truly gets what he pays for.  I feel that in this case I am lucky indeed.

Loren

­­­­­­It's not enough to be able to pick up a sword.  You have to know which end to poke into the enemy.

-Terry Pratchett

Attached Files

Duckdog posted this 08 May 2008

Your gonna find that the checks you make shoot as good as the store bought ones.  I have one of codarnall's tools for 30 cal and I have had excellent luck. The only thing I did was to turn the size of the anvil down to .286", of close to it, and now the check crimp on the bullets with a lee sizer.  After talking to codarnall, he would have done it for me, but it wasn't a big deal to do.  I was glueing them on, and they also stuck all of the way to the target.

I think I paid $35-$40 bucks and I have started to think of things in terms of, how much gas does that same cost buy me.  The gas is gone quick, but things like these tools will be around for a long time.

I have a slug of boughten checks, but I really like to make these.  I've found that if a guys uses a small flat peice of super soft lead, and a solid bench to hammer on with a plastc mallet, these can be made really quick.

Enjoy

Attached Files

3100Loren posted this 08 May 2008

Thanks for the note, I think you are correct for the price they are a good deal and I find it kind of therapeutic making them.  I have a piece of poly block I got some where, it kind of a soft plastic about 2 inches thick; seems to hold up to the cutter real well.  I am real lucky because Charlie lives just down the freeway from me, though I haven't met him personally, I get the feeling from our emails that if I asked him to make an adjustment for me he would be amenable.  

I am glad to hear that you have had good experiences as well.

Loren

­­­­­­It's not enough to be able to pick up a sword.  You have to know which end to poke into the enemy.

-Terry Pratchett

Attached Files

jhrosier posted this 24 May 2008

I have just started using the check maker from Charlie (CODARNALL) and am pleased with the initial results.

Attached Files

3100Loren posted this 24 May 2008

­­­­­­The proof is in the pudding.  I have two tools now, one for .45/70 and one for my Ruger .44 Mag. I have been  pleased with my results so far.   I am thinking of getting one more in .30 caliber.  I am interested to see how they will do in my Marlin .30-30 with the micro-groove barrel. 

Thanks for sharing

Loren

It's not enough to be able to pick up a sword.  You have to know which end to poke into the enemy.

-Terry Pratchett

Attached Files

Close