Another question for you guys concerning my Browning rifle

• 4.6K Views
  • Last Post 06 May 2009
2frogs posted this 20 May 2008

I forgot to mention that this rifle has had jacketed bullets shot through it befor I got it..I have no idea how many though. My question is-will this have any effect on my using the cast bullets and black powder? I mean,I can't really see the copper in the barrel,but it has to still have some in there..Can anyone tell me what type of rifleing is in the barrel? It is a Browning hunter model..Will there be any side effects with the barrel,being rechambered from 45-70 to the now 45-120 cal....I know,more kick,but that is why they invented the sissy pads..:coffee And also what alloy would you all suggest I try..I have tons of wheel weights and lead and some tin...I have no intention in using this in any compition as I have my sharps 45-70 if I ever go that route..Thanks for any suggestions you have to offer....John

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
gussy posted this 20 May 2008

I wouldn't take a chance on any copper still in there.  Get some of the foaming cleaner and use it until all signs of jacket material is gone.

I “had” a 120.  You will find that is a common statement.

My best loads were 100-110 gr 1F.  I went to the lumber yard and bought some 1/4"  bulletin board cork and cut filler wads.  I usually used 2.  If you can find them after shooting, you can reuse them.  They exit with no damage.

This load kept fouling easy to handle, recoil was not bad, accuracy was good.  That rifle had the ugliest wood I've ever seen on an expensive (to me) gun.  That along with the high cost of cases sent it down the road. I did shoot one bear with it and for that it worked great. 

:coffeeGus

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 20 May 2008

Did u use cast bullets for the bear? I am not sure what u mean by the foaming cleaner. Is this something new? Thanks for your reply..John

Attached Files

gussy posted this 20 May 2008

I have never fired a jacketed bullet in a BPCR.  I have quite a few thousand cast bullets though.  Yes, the bear was shot with a flat nosed Lyman bullet (457193 mould number) and black powder.  The only thing I haven't shot with cast bullets are the big cats.  Maybe one day I'll get lucky while deer or elk hunting.  Come to think of it, the old coy dog is still on that list too.

There are several spray gun cleaners on the market now.  Put the straw in the barrel, spray the foam 'til it comes out the other end and let it sit for 30 minutes or so.  When you run a patch through it, the color tells you if and what's being cleaned out.  Blue for copper/brass, grey for lead.  If there's a lot of fouling, it may take several runs with the stuff.  You will know for sure what if anything is in there and when it's all out.

:coffeeGus

Attached Files

Mnshooter posted this 21 May 2008

About the only thing that may affect a 45-120 is the rate of twist.  Many like the 1-18 for the heavy bullets. I do not know what rate these were, but likely 1-22.  Probably still shoot okay anyway.  One trick to get copper foulding out of a barrel is to buy a quart of household amonia and plug the end of the barrel and let it sit overnight full of amonia.  A quart costs about $3.00.  Do this till the stuff no longer comes out blue.  Straight WW isn't all bad for a start.

Mnshooter

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 22 May 2008

:dude:I really appreciate your replys...I find it hard to get any information from lots of folks around here.Very tight lipped ,like it is some deep dark secret or something..Sort of like asking a guy at the lake where the fish are....John

Attached Files

CB posted this 22 May 2008

2frogs wrote:

I really appreciate your replys...I find it hard to get any information from lots of folks around here.Very tight lipped ,like it is some deep dark secret or something..Sort of like asking a guy at the lake where the fish are....John

I don't think it's that John. I don't reply to posts I know nothing about, as most forum members no doubt do. This forum is mostly CBA members and the CBA doesn't  have a match program using BPCRs.  Maybe you would be better off finding a BPCR shooter's forum to ask your question.  I'm just trying to help you out.  I think most any of the members here would be glad to answer your question if they knew the answer. The weather is nice now and the forum has slowed down. I think most shooters are off-line more and out shooting, mowing, painting and yes fishing, so replies are slower coming in..................Dan

You can check barrel groove and bore diameter by driving a soft slug down the bore with a bronze rod. You can check the twist by inserting a tighted patch cleaning rod with a good bearing handle. Run the rod in almost the full length of the barrel, make mark across the rod at the muzzle and a long mark directly on top the rod. Carefully and slowly pull the rod out until the long mark comes around on top again. Measure the distance between the cross muzzle mark and the actual muzzle and you'll be real close to the twist rate. Do it 2 or 3 times to make sure. Hope this helps. :)

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 23 May 2008

2frogs:

Dan has it right, at least from this poor knave's point of view. I have done my best to keep the black & smokeless powder boys in business for quite a few years. But I won't pass out advice unless I have done it, experienced it or have first hand knowledge. I have found this to be more prevalent with this outfit that a lot of the other forums. So just keep on asking questions. We all learn.

In regards to the removal of copper fouling, a shooter friend is a believer in the foam cleaners. He described the results of his use of foam in a rifle bore as being unbelievable as to the crud that came out. Even when he thought the bore was pretty clean. Don't remember the brand name though.

And finally, reference Mnshooters advice about using amonia and leaving it in the bore overnight. It for sure works. I  used to use stronger amonia to remove copper from pistol bores years ago. (when I could once see the front sights). Of course this is a much higher concentration than the common household type but it worked like gang busters. When it quit turning blue, the copper was out. But amonia is corrosive and it wasn't left in the bore more that five minutes or so.

I have also used the household concentration to antique ML rifle barrels and it will definitely corrode and rust a barrel over nite. Apparently leaving it in a bore overnight works for MS but personally, don't think that I would leave it in a bore for very long. Also,  it can remove bluing as well.

RD

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 23 May 2008

I am not sure if I have ordered the right stuff or not,but I ordered some Brakefree foaming cleaner from Brownells.

I hope this is the right stuff to use..I had to pay a hasmat fee on it as well....Thanks again for your replies...John

Attached Files

gussy posted this 25 May 2008

That is what I've used.  I would have thought a local store would carry a similar product.

Gus

Attached Files

Mnshooter posted this 26 May 2008

I never had trouble with amonia causing any damage to the old bolt military rifles I used it on.  It is likely quite corrosive but I plugged one end of the bore and filled it with a turkey baster.  The whole barrel was left full overnight.  Lots of times, a coating will corrode but being left full does not permit the oxygen from reacting.  Kind of like finding stuff on the bottom of a lake.  It was a trick I picked up I think from a milsurp thread on removing the severe fouling found in milsurps.  It is likely extreme for normal fouling.  I liked it because it was cheap and worked.

Mnshooter

Attached Files

Longbow posted this 06 May 2009

To remove copper buildup. Sweets 7.62 solvent. Get a nylon style bore brush( dont use a copper brush) one caliber smaller , wrap A patch around brush. dribble the sweets on it and short stroke 4” at A time up bore, Near the muzzle is where it really seems to hold the copper. Let bore soak a couple minute, push a clean patch thru to see if its BLUE. If it is do it all over again. I once took over an hour to clean a barrel of a gun I bought. when no more blue, A couple clean patches to get the sweets out of bore. then  clean rifle with Shooters Choice , Hoppes , etc   You can push a tight cleaning patch thru bore next day, just to see if A hint of blue is still there or it is clean. All of us shooting 1,000 yd. BR did it this way. The foam works real good, but try Sweets AFTER using the foam, you will probadley see blue. When the bore is copper free ......go shoot the lead bullets!  Pete in montana      NOTE,Sweets will eat the finish off your gun, place a towel over the stock to protect it, good to have a bore guide for every gun also.

Attached Files

Close