thick sprue plates

• 3.4K Views
  • Last Post 15 June 2008
billwnr posted this 21 May 2008

I used Gussy's thick sprue plates last night for the first time.  Boy they sure are an improvement over the standard Lyman/RCBS sprue plate.

Once I got the mould up to temperature cast up a run of perfect bullets like I never have before.  My guess is the thicker sprue plate stayed hot and prevented rounded bases and othe base voids I usually encounter. 

The “cutter” is to behold also.  I never saw cut-offs like that before.  No sprue bump or anything. They were FLAT!!

Also I had no base “finning” like I see when using issue sprue plates.  My guess is Gussy had the plate trued.

Perfect bullet bases...just like I like to see. 

For the price he's charging per sprue plate I would think most users of 2 cavity Lyman moulds should swap out their sprue plates and try his version

Bill

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
KenK posted this 21 May 2008

Nice to hear, mine should be here soon.

Attached Files

NITROTRIP posted this 21 May 2008

I have only been casting about 3 mounths now and useing Lee molds so I have more choices to try. I found out rather quickly that if I lightly dip the sprue cutter tip in the lead every other cast my bullets cast better everywhere and all dementions. Keep the sprue molten untill the rest of the bullet solidifies first to allow shrinkage fill is what I am think'in. Once that thick plate heats up I think it might be doing the same thing without dipping. Awsome idea!! No dipping.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 21 May 2008

You are doing something wrong if you have to dip your sprue plate.  Lee moulds are aluminum and should really hold the heat.

You might consider getting a thermometer and checking the temperature of your lead.  For ease of casting it should run in the 700-750 degree range.  (all temps given in Fahrenheit :shock:)

Attached Files

NITROTRIP posted this 21 May 2008

Point well taken:DThank You. I have as my largest mold single cavity is 405gr hollow base for my 45/70. small size block. And 44cal & 45cal doubles with a larger block. They work great without dipping. I have some little shooters cut in the same size blocks. Those are the ones that fill out a little better with the dipping. Should have mentioned that in that post. I have a industrial digital wire sensor probe thermometer that I use for work and it is just the thing for casting. I cast in the temp window you suggested. If I try a larger sprue puddle that might do the same thing and heat the cutter plate a bit more. Just to shakey to keep the larger puddle on top of the plate. This is what makes this forum just so awsome, the feedback and the ideas. I can't ever thank you guy's enough.

You all have helped open the next chapter in my reloading adventures. I am forever greatfull and hope others feel the same.

;}:dude:

Thank You All,

Rick 

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 21 May 2008

CBE moulds have a sprue plate approx 5mm thick and they are great to use.

I have some 5mm thick aluminium cut to the same dims as a Lyman sprue plate.  I intend to make a pair of sprue plates for both my Lyman .22 moulds with the smallest pouring hold I can.  The alloy plate should distribute the heat better also.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

KenK posted this 08 June 2008

I put the sprue plate I got from Gussy into service this morning.  It is unbelievable how much better the mould works now.

Attached Files

mtgrs737 posted this 11 June 2008

I guess I missed out, who is Gussy and where can I get in touch with him on these sprue plates?

Attached Files

KenK posted this 11 June 2008

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=2156&forum_id=47>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=2156&forumid=47

Attached Files

linoww posted this 11 June 2008

JeffinNZ wrote: CBE moulds have a sprue plate approx 5mm thick and they are great to use.

.  I intend to make a pair of sprue plates for both my Lyman .22 moulds with the smallest pouring hold I can.  The alloy plate should distribute the heat better also.

I welded up a sprue  plate for my Lyman 225438 4 cavity mold and re cut the holes to a more reasonable size for the base.While I cant say it improved accuracy but they sure do look better. The original holes were barely under 22 caliber.I have aluminum sprue's on a couple of brass NEI molds and they seem to work well.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

sniper posted this 15 June 2008

I sent my 162gr. mould back to RCBS for repair, and they adjusted the alignment pins, and  replaced the sprue place with a thicker one. :)  THANK you, RCBS! 

Apparently, that was all it needed.  It seems that thicker sprue plates are  a goodness.   I'll see what it does my next casting session.  

I have an RCBS 150 SWC mould that probably could use one, too. Will see what RCBS says.

Attached Files

Close