22 K Hornet

• 5.8K Views
  • Last Post 09 August 2009
Chris T posted this 21 May 2008

Has any one any experiance of using a K hornet with CB and Ar powders.  If so could they please post any load data for me Regards Chris the Kiwi

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JeffinNZ posted this 21 May 2008

Chris.

I used to run my .22 Hornet on a Lyman 225415 (48gr) over 5gr of 800X for 1900fps.  Shot like a house on fire ie: 1.5-2 MOA.

In your K try AR2205 (H4227 to the Yanks) starting at 7gr.  That's where I would start.

The other ADI powder to consider and one I believe is sadly overlooked by us all is AP100.  It is slightly faster than AR2205 but quite 'fluffy' a bit like SR4579 so, potentially, could be a great cast bullet powder.  One day :coffee I will get a can and try it out. 

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Chris T posted this 02 July 2008

Hi Jeff, Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.  Have been down south and involved in other things.

I like the idea of the “Fluffy” powder, as it sould fill the case better.

The rifleing on my ruger seems to handle 2200 fps really well, so have tried some loads of 9grn imr4227 which I chronographed at around 22400. Have yet to try Ar2205 though. What part of NZ are you in?

I am in North Canterbury myself, so plenty of Rabbits around here

Cheers Chris T

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 02 July 2008

CHC.  I used to shoot a LOT of rabbits at Culverden.  I mean A LOT of rabbits.

Never burned AR2205 in my Hornet.  I was a dedicated W296 convert.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Just down the road from there, and we are shooting a lot of rabbits.

What properties did you shoot?

Cheers Chris

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 02 July 2008

Mouse Point.  Should be rabbit Point.  Best I did was 161 in four hours in daylight.

50 from one spot with the .223, the balance on foot with my Rolling Block .22RF.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Know the area well. Live in waipara.  do a lot up the Waikari valley. Do you want to shift this to email? Cheers chris [email protected]

Attached Files

Euan posted this 07 July 2008

Giday Chris T,

I used to Blade shear up there years ago, Waikari, Hawarden Lees Valley and about Nth canterbury. One of my favourate hornet loads is lyman 225438gc from ww and 4.8 gns Unique @ aprox 1940fps from my lo wall, It sure does the deed on rabbits and hares.

Cheers Euan.

Attached Files

Chris T posted this 07 July 2008

Sounds good to me.

I am looking for all the data I can get. Blade shearing- hard yakka that game.

still a bit goes on up the lees. was up that way a month back, but the ford had washed out pretty badly.

Nioce to hear form you

Attached Files

CB posted this 09 August 2009

Chris

You guys are having way too much fun on that open hunting Down Under. I live in San Bernadino County about 25 miles from Disneyland. SB County is the largest County in the USA 95 % desert. We have lots of rabbits, coyotes, and snakes. But centerfire shooting/hunting is closed only open for Deer season a month or so each year unless the fire season closes the hunting season.

I would like to have a Hornet but too many Ouppy's are trying to buy a Mercedes selling off their gun collections. A nice say Win Model 70 in 22 hornet might go for $1200 in the states. as far as cast for a Hornet / K Hornet I feel you made a good choice in 225438 but as has been discussed 225415 and 225462 work fine too. RCBS makes a nice 55 grn too. Don't know what Saeco stll makes.

Unique, 2400, PB, and Red Dot are good powders to try. You guys have equivalent powders Down Under. Good Thread and interesting Posts.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

Chris T posted this 09 August 2009

Hi, Good to hear from you.  I drove through SB some years back.  Seemed a nce place. You can pick up a good hornet here for about 1500 2000 NZ.

My Ruger is shooting 1” at 100 yards with copper jackets.  Ok for hunting, but would like more accuracry with cast bullets.

We do ok for powders as we can draw from Australia, and the ar2205 is virtually identical to imr4227.

Am going to do another cast this week, using a slightly harder lead alloy, with a bit more antimony.  Then case harden the lead.  Looking for around 1650fps and see what accuracry that gives.

Cheers Chris the Kiwi

Attached Files

Close