Belding & Mull Powder Measure Owners Please help

• 6K Views
  • Last Post 01 September 2008
far50shooter posted this 27 May 2008

Hello New Member here. I just got a Belding & Mull Powder measure and need some help. I have read all over that this is the most accurate measure of all time. So I got one. I also ordered the 1lb brass tube to increase the capacity.

I am looking for a set of complete instructions. If someone would scan them or sell me a set of them It would be greatly appreciated. Second I only have one drop tube the small one with micro meter on the bottom. I am trying to load 50 bmg with this. The max load will be 240 grains so a drop tube that could hold 120 would be great as I could throw 2 times, unless anyone thinks I could get one lone tube and throw 1 time (preferred).

I also reload 30.06, .270,7.62x39 so I need the magnum tube as well. If anyone could make me some drawings of what you already have or know someone that could make them or someone that has some drop tubes for sale. I would be the happiest man in the world.

Anyway I hope some of you B&M owners can help me finish my project and get up an loading with my new (old) B&M. Thanks in advance for any help you can give Tom

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
argie1891 posted this 28 May 2008

i have a set of instructions and will send to you tomorrow. as far as drop  tubes go if you can get your hands on a lathe you can take a piece of 1/2 inch aluminum and make your own fixed charge drop tube.  this is a trial and error job but when you get done you never have to worry about it again. several can be made in short order. i mark mine with a number letter punch set and they look and work well. joe gifford aka argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

far50shooter posted this 28 May 2008

Thanks for the Information and the offer for the instructions. This is so great :dude: ty ty ty . Tom

Attached Files

CB posted this 28 May 2008

The B&M is a good powder measurer, especially when IMR extruded powders were the main powders for reloading. The B&M is what I first started with and still have, but hardly use now days with short-cut extruded powders.  But it ought to really work good for the large BMG powders.

There is a technique to the B&Ms just like other powder measurers.  The technique was to throw the lever and move it slightly back and forth where it bottoms out, creating a short tapping sounds, say 2 times or 3 times at the bottom of the move. Then the same motion on the return stroke, again moving the handle slightly back and forth making 2 or 3 tapping sounds. The return tapping settles the powder in the tube and meter chamber. Holding the handle in throwed position and tapping settles the powder in the measuring tube. This settling/tapping of the powder with each throw gave nearly perfect charges everytime. Come to think of it, that is what I do with my Redding too! ;) ........................Dan

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 28 May 2008

my scanner did not work so i cant send it to you maybe someone else can scan you a copy. sorry for not being able to get it to you joe gifford.

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

far50shooter posted this 28 May 2008

Thanks for trying. I cold send you 5 bucks and you could make photo copies and send it to me in the mail. Just an Idea. Thanks Tom

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 30 May 2008

argie1891 wrote: my scanner did not work so i cant send it to you maybe someone else can scan you a copy. sorry for not being able to get it to you joe gifford.

A digital camera can be used to make pretty good scans ...  I have a dinosaur 10 yr old one .. and just use the 600 x 450 pixel ( orwhatever ) pixel mode to make  pretty good scans ... use higher res if possible, if printing is going to be done.  rest the camera on a bi/mono pod when shooting.

These can be emailed as a JPEG, to make it simple,or GIF, BITMAP etc if that is all you have.

Hoping this helps.  ken campbell, ...Hey, I still use my B&M since 1955 now ... (g)... wish they made other stuff like the old stuff. 

For big loads with big powder I just use 2 dumps of the standard dump tube, just under the goal ... into the powder scan pan, then use a powder trickler ( empty 45-70 case rolled between fingers )  to bring the charge to the correct wt.  I seldom load more than 40or 60 Magnum loads at a time, so this subtracts very little time from  my lifespan.  ken

Attached Files

CB posted this 02 June 2008

Here is a copy, Tom. If it don't work out for ya, PM me and I'll send it as full size data version...................Dan

Page 1

Attached Files

CB posted this 02 June 2008

Page 2

Attached Files

kricket posted this 01 September 2008

I just received one from my grandpa and was wondering if there was any information online or somewhere that lists more slide settings for different powders.  My grandpa told me that 4350 is very similar to 4831.  Any help thanks. 

Attached Files

CB posted this 01 September 2008

kricket,

I never use this chart, but I have always wrote down the settings I use and keep it for my own personal use. I suggest anyone to do the same, just another reason to keep good records in your reloading files.  I also keep a chart for my Redding powder thrower for refrence to go back and forth to repeatable charges.  Your Grandpa gave you a good powder measure, about the best for extruded powders.................Dan

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 01 September 2008

I heartly agree with Dan an this issue! Powders have been made by many different makers in the last 40 years since this chart was made. Their density has changed and you can NOT use these charts to throw accurate weights. You will have to find an accurate scale to use. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

Close