Postal Match Questions ???

• 4.9K Views
  • Last Post 26 June 2009
HollandNut posted this 09 June 2008

OK , wanna get into the postals ..

Classes I am interested in are 15 and 16 ..

First 15 .. Deadline for targets is 15 September , is it a one time shoot ?? Or can you shoot as often as you like through the year ?? with an agg posted after Sept for the year just passed ?? .. 

I realize I can shoot two different classes with same rifle , open and iron , however the rifle is a 458 Lott , which means I can shoot win mags in it as well , therefore can the rifle be used as a Lott and a win mag in the same shoot ??

Same question on sixteen , is it a one time shoot or a year long shoot if you so desire ??

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
HollandNut posted this 30 June 2008

Let me rephrase this one ..

Can or is it a one time shoot or can you shoot as often as you like up to the class deadline ..

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 30 June 2008

Postals are one time shoots, as you get a sighter and “official” marked targets that are returned. However, you can practice as much as you want. Ric

Attached Files

runnin lead posted this 06 December 2008

I am thinking about picking up a rifle to do a military class PM some of them you can only buy boxer primer brass from norma or lapua . I saw a Spanish Mauser rechambered to 7.62, not shure but might be an armory job what matches would this be good for ? Any other sugestions ? already cast .30 & 7mm

Tnx Jim

Attached Files

Wally Enga posted this 07 December 2008

Jim

If you already 30 cal molds for bullets that you can size around .310 ”€œ the 03-A3 or a Swiss K-31 would be good choices.

Brass for the 7.5X55 Swiss is available from Graf & Sons and a few other places or you can easily make it from WIN 284 brass by just running it thru a 7.55X55 Swiss FLS die.

If you have or get a 30 cal mold that drops them a little fatter like a Lyman 314299 that you can size about .314, then the Finn M39 works well. Both WIN & Lapua make brass for the 7.62X54R.

Wally

Attached Files

lordgroom posted this 07 December 2008

Not to hijack the thread... are the postal rules posted any where on this forum or is my only method of getting the rules by writing in?

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 08 December 2008

Specific postal rules are published with the annual announcement of postal matches. Military rifle postals are slightly different than shoulder to shoulder matches. Write to the Director of Postal matches, address on the inside of Fouling Shot for booklet on 2009 matches. Shoulder to shoulder matches are intermixed with regular benchrest rules on this web site. Ric

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 08 December 2008

runnin lead, What rifle are you looking at? Spain had (2) 7.62x51 Mauser rifles that I know of, the FR7 and FR8. This is off the top of my head, but I believe they were made in the late 1950's when Spain joined NATO and the 7.62x51 was adopted. The FR7 is based on the small ring Mauser and the FR8 on the large ring. I have an FR8 and qualifies, as far as I can tell, for the military rifle matches. I'm working up a load for it as well as my Springfield. The only disadvantage that I can see is the short sight radius. It has an 18” barrel. Other than that, they saw little use and all the examples I've seen had good chambers and bores had little wear.

Attached Files

runnin lead posted this 08 December 2008

Bill 1916 Spanish Mauser 21” barrel turned down bolt converted to 7.62 NATO . I would think that this was an armory conversion to up date to accept the NATO round

$ 129.95    http://www.samcoglobal.com>http://www.samcoglobal.com Already have dies & molds for this one , would only need dedecated brass for it. Wally pointed out that graffs has brass for 7.5 X 55 & I found they also have 7.62 X 54 R this opens me to more options As I didn't want to get some thing that I would only be able to find Lapua or Norma brass at more $$$ than my 45- 90's go for still in the thinking stage winter is here & is here along time up here ,Probably won't do any thing till march or april & I am open to lots of sugestions with pros & cons to why or why not a certain rifle or round

Jim

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 08 December 2008

Jim, The 1916 is based on the 1893 small ring action which was chambered for the 7X57 @ 45,000 cup. The NATO round is rated at 50,000 cup and there have been some reports of them developing excessive headspace if fed a steady diet of full powered ammo, but the some people confuse the 7.62X51 with the .308 Winchester and that could be the problem. The .308 is rated @ 52,000 cup. The case outside dimensions are basically the same, but capacity of commercial cases is greater. If used for reduced cast loads, the 1916 should last with no problem. Commercial .308 brass works just fine in them as well as military cases, and the .308 is a proven .30 cast bullet target round. From what I can find, they are an arsenal conversion so should be legal in the military catagory. Check with Jeff Bowles on that.

The Swiss K31 seems to a favorite here, but I have no experience with it.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 25 June 2009

Two questions; Can anybody that wants to buy postal match practice targets? I ordered some when I entered a match, they're used match targets, fine shape. If so, maybe some of these guys sittin' on the fence could buy some and try a 'match' on their own just for the heck of it, maybe get inspired to take the plunge. Number two; does Winchester sell their 7.62 x54 R brass as a component? I've looked and can't find it, I'm not going to pay for Norma. Number 2 1/2; is there a way to reload the 7.62R without the correct dies? I have a bunch of Lee Loaders and 30-30 and 30-06 dies

Attached Files

CB posted this 26 June 2009

Yep Winchester does in fact sell those cases. I got mine at Buffalo arms a while back. http://www.buffaloarms.com

Attached Files

Close