Hello fellow Bullet Casters..........

• 2.6K Views
  • Last Post 12 January 2012
LeadHead posted this 10 July 2008

Hello everyone:

My name is Dan (from Mississippi) - (aka: LeadHead on this board). 

I have been a reloader since 1974, and a bullet caster since 1981.  I started casting handgun bullets to feed both my IPSC pistol and NRA Action Pistol revolver for both practice and competition, and my full-auto SMGs for FUN...... 

My casting periods have been “spotty"......  I cast heavy in the 80s and very little in the 90s and until about 2006.  I reduced my casting because (some due to lack of shooting for many years) factory ammo was “cost effective” and some times required during SMG shoots.  But now with the HIGH prices for factory ammo, and even reloading components, I have dusted off my RCBS ProMelt pots and are having my buddies find wheel weights for me............. :) 

As for my bullet molds....... (Yes, “molds” and not “moulds".... :) )  I have many different molds from 1C to 100C.  Yes, I have a one-of-a-kind 100 cavity 38cal 158gr SWC mold.  I also have H&G, Weaver, Mountain Molds, and LEE molds.  My H&Gs are 10C, 8C, 6C and 4C molds.  The Weaver molds are 10C molds. 

As for my bullet casting mix......  I normally cast with either a 75% WW and 25% Lino or lately with 85% WW and 15% Lino mix (due to my supply of Lino).  I do not water quench or oven heat-treat my bullets.  I just drop them and size/lube them...... :) 

As for sizing and lubing.........  I use one of the two Star Sizer/Lubers I have, and “hard” lube that requires a heater to apply. 

Well, that is enough about me for now..............   I will be more than glad to try to answer your questions about my bullet casting setup.  But please note, it might take me a few days to reply......  so don't give up on me........... :shock:

;}   I wouldn't say I “love” to cast, but when I am in the mood.... I really enjoy the time “standing over the pot"........................... 

LeadHead

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 10 July 2008

Hi Dan.

Welcome to the forum.  Hope you enjoy your time here as much as it sounds you enjoy your time casting and shooting...........Dan W.

Attached Files

CB posted this 11 July 2008

Welcome Dan! Glad to have you join us!

I think many of us have followed a similar path in regards to ammo and the prices. Why reload when you could get 1000 rnds of 45 acp for 90 bucks.

I am sure this is a typo or a fat fingered opps, but if you have a rare 100 cavity mold, I sure would like to see a picture of that monster! I have an old 10 cavity 38 wadcutter mold that looks like a steam radiator, but never have seen a mold larger than that.

Enjoy your stay, we have a good bunch of guys hanging out here.

Jeff

Attached Files

LeadHead posted this 12 July 2008

Thanks for the Welcomes guys...... :P

As for the 100C mold, I have posted pictures under the Bullet Moulds or Molds forum titled 100C 38cal 158gr SWC Mold

See if this link works......  http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=2510&forum_id=10>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=2510&forumid=10

Enjoy,

LeadHead

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 July 2008

Man that is one awesome looking mold!

You guys have gotta get a look at this!

Attached Files

leadhead308 posted this 26 June 2011

Sorry for picking same name , I did not know until was on reading other names , although I had put 308 on end of name. I called around to all printing shops in my area till I found one that had old linotype printing , .70¢ per lb.s

Attached Files

CB posted this 26 June 2011

at .70/lb, I hope you bought all they had.

Attached Files

parkerhale1200 posted this 27 June 2011

hai dan here is one from europe i've got the same one, i geuss a swc 158grn gc from rcbs and a bb swc 158grn from rcbs the one with gs is my oldest with my 140grn wc (about 40 years old those two) but i would like to have TWO bullets from that mould isnt there a way we can set this up????? and thrust me youre not the only leadhead i shoot so i can cast again have fun regards jeroen parkerhale1200

Attached Files

Caster4life posted this 10 January 2012

Hey guy. I've been casting/reloading since I was 14, 40 years-wow...With all that time I came across a “hickup"...my friend and I got a 7mm mold (291377-130 gr lyman sps) and it wont hold a 7mm gas check. 25 shears lead, so it's gotta be either a 6.5 or 270 gas check area-weird. What is the dia of 6.5 and 270 gas check areas on the bullet-if you know!

We load everything (jpistol/rifle/sinkers)-we're cheap....I got him started about 4 years ago. Any ideas?

Attached Files

LeadHead posted this 12 January 2012

Sorry, I can't help with gas checks. I have never seated a gas check..... :)

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 January 2012

Lap out the gas check shank until it'll hold the proper checks. If you're not comfortable doing it, perhaps Erik at hollowpoint mold service would do it for you.

Attached Files

Close